Getting 4k HDR signal to my LG C8 TV

Edgar_S

Hey guys,

so, what would be the best way to get a high quality, high refresh rate HDR signal from my computer (running 2080Ti) to my 4k OLED TV with minimal input lag? My googleing skills are failing me here, i dont see a good widely adopted solution here. Help!

4 minutes ago, Edgar_S said:

so, what would be the best way to get a high quality, high refresh rate HDR signal from my computer (running 2080Ti) to my 4k OLED TV with minimal input lag?

An HDMI-cable.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Lovely, thank you. I lacked that piece of sarcasm. I am not aware of any HDMI cables that car get 4k HDR signal at 100Hz any further than 2-3 meters. I need it to go at least 8 meters.

6 minutes ago, Edgar_S said:

Lovely, thank you. I lacked that piece of sarcasm. I am not aware of any HDMI cables that car get 4k HDR signal at 100Hz any further than 2-3 meters. I need it to go at least 8 meters.

It's not a 100hz tv. It's a 60 or 50hz panel with motion smoothing that gets advertised as twice the refresh rate then. So quite frankly any semi decent hdmi cable will do.

10 minutes ago, Edgar_S said:

Maybe you should have mentioned such details in your post then? You were only asking how to get a 4K HDR-signal to your TV, to which I replied ackordingly.

If you need a long HDMI-cable, you should look into active HDMI-cables, that get extra power from a wall-wart or a USB-port in order to maintain signal-quality over longer distance.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's not a 100hz tv. It's a 60 or 50hz panel with motion smoothing that gets advertised as twice the refresh rate then. So quite frankly any semi decent hdmi cable will do.

No, the LG C8 is actually a 120hz display, theoretically even capable of 4k@120hz.

However no current graphics card supports hdmi 2.1 so all you can do is either 4k60 or 1440p120 but in both cases a standard HDMI cable should do the trick. 

I'm not sure if 8 meters Is that much of a problem here. My brother runs a 10m cable to his 4k TV just fine. No HDR though. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

No, the LG C8 is actually a 120hz display, theoretically even capable of 4k@120hz.

However no current graphics card supports hdmi 2.1 so all you can do is either 4k60 or 1440p120 but in both cases a standard HDMI cable should do the trick. 

I'm not sure if 8 meters Is that much of a problem here. My brother runs a 10m cable to his 4k TV just fine. No HDR though. 

My bad. Seems I found the wrong information then.

26 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Thanks for the re-assurance. Ill report back once i have some results.

2 hours ago, Edgar_S said:

Thanks for the re-assurance. Ill report back once i have some results.

Indeed.

HDMI 2.1 is required for 4k 120hz, so cant be done currently due to there being no GPU's with HDMI 2.1

ALSO, the C8 uses HDMI 2.0 anyway so cant do 4k 120hz.

It does have a 120hz capable panel however and can do 1080p 120hz via HDMI 2.0.

As of right now i no not believe the C8 can do 1440p 120hz.

If u want 4k 120hz u may want to consider either buying a newer C9, or wait for the smaller but newer CX 48" to release sometime this year.

It will have added gaming features and is directed towards gamers.

It will support 4k 120hz via HDMI 2.1 (so ull need a newer 2020 GPU when they release that has HDMI 2.1), and has VRR and BFI along with low input latency ~ 5ms.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Went for a optical hybrid hdmi for now that enables all hdmi 2.0 features at 20m plus. Getting 4k @60hz with HDR (18Gb link)