Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MarioDerTrader

Turning Power off per hack

@MarioDerTrader

Those are the most bullshit emtpy threats I've heard in a long time. "Finding out your IP" doesn't mean anything, because he'll only get the public IP supplied by your ISP. It will change after 24-48 hours. If he'd be able to find out your public IP, he'd be able to look at your network from the outside, finding... nothing.

If he somehow (and I cannot stress this enough, it'd be a miracle) was able to get access to your network, he might be able to do some harm if he's allowed to access your machines and he might be able to read and/or delete personal data. He still wouldn't be able to shut down your power, since it's not controlled by anything on your network. He might be able to turn on and off some smart lamps you might have installed, but that's about the extend of "turning off your power".

Like it was mentioned, the only way he'd actually be able to turn off anything is by accessing the networks of your power supplier. But seeing that they're a company that most likely hasn't been living under a rock for the past 20-30 years, they'd probably just laugh anything the guy could try off. If they'd even notice his pathetic attempts.

So, TLDR;

It's bullshit, he has no way of doing anything. Don't click on any links he sends you (although even then he most likely wouldn't be able to do anything, if you don't continue to make dumb mistakes). Tell him I said he's an idiot and make fun of him and then find new people to hang out with on discord.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey, so i have got an argument with someone right now and he threatens me to turn the entire power in my house off (with cmd) and wants to find out my ip with discord. Is this even possible? i think he is good at programming so i am a little scared right now that something will break

If you have things that use the internet to communicate with each other (e.g. Hive or any other IOT device) then he could access them. If hes trying to find out your IP via discord, I can almost guarantee he won't know how to do anything.

1 minute ago, Ecchi said:

If you have things that use the internet to communicate with each other (e.g. Hive or any other IOT device) then he could access them. If hes trying to find out your IP via discord, I can almost guarantee he won't know how to do anything.

He says that there is a easy way to find out and that i should just wait. I dont know exactly what an IOT Device is. I just have a ps4 a pc, tv and an alexa. Sorry i am a noob in these things so i am just scared.

IOT = Internet Of Things (Simple google?).

If I were you, I'd ignore him and move on. I don't think theres anything to be worried about.

Just don't click any links you get from him. Could be an IP grabber.

2 minutes ago, Ecchi said:

IOT = Internet Of Things (Simple google?).

If I were you, I'd ignore him and move on. I don't think theres anything to be worried about.

Just don't click any links you get from him. Could be an IP grabber.

Thanks for the advice. wont click any links

If I were you I wouldn't be worried. Getting someones IP through Discord is near impossible. And turning off the power is only possible if the person has physical access to the braker in your house or if they can hack into the powergrid controller (which is HIGHLY ILLIGAL) and shut down the entire grid leading to your house. The threads imposed are empty. Just don't click on any links that the they send to you if you wanne be abseloutly sure.

Please ping or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted · Best Answer

@MarioDerTrader

Those are the most bullshit emtpy threats I've heard in a long time. "Finding out your IP" doesn't mean anything, because he'll only get the public IP supplied by your ISP. It will change after 24-48 hours. If he'd be able to find out your public IP, he'd be able to look at your network from the outside, finding... nothing.

If he somehow (and I cannot stress this enough, it'd be a miracle) was able to get access to your network, he might be able to do some harm if he's allowed to access your machines and he might be able to read and/or delete personal data. He still wouldn't be able to shut down your power, since it's not controlled by anything on your network. He might be able to turn on and off some smart lamps you might have installed, but that's about the extend of "turning off your power".

Like it was mentioned, the only way he'd actually be able to turn off anything is by accessing the networks of your power supplier. But seeing that they're a company that most likely hasn't been living under a rock for the past 20-30 years, they'd probably just laugh anything the guy could try off. If they'd even notice his pathetic attempts.

So, TLDR;

It's bullshit, he has no way of doing anything. Don't click on any links he sends you (although even then he most likely wouldn't be able to do anything, if you don't continue to make dumb mistakes). Tell him I said he's an idiot and make fun of him and then find new people to hang out with on discord.

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

On a quick side note:

Doing anything "on CMD" just goes to show how little idea of what he's talking about the guy has. He's referring to either your or his (probably windows) terminal, which can be used to control the computer. But anything you can do there, you can do by clicking around your menus. It's just usually quicker to do it in terminal, if you know the correct commands.

So is the rest probably

Side note: Also something i remembered: He turned off the tv of a friend once with his pc but i dont think thats important. I will ignore him and just be a little carefuller

@myselfolli Hey again, i have got a question. He was talking about CMD but in the logs of our discord server i can find a cloudflare link to a program called zepto.min.js Should i worry about this? (That link below is a picture not a link btw)

Screenshot_138.png

57 minutes ago, MarioDerTrader said:

Side note: Also something i remembered: He turned off the tv of a friend once with his pc but i dont think thats important. I will ignore him and just be a little carefuller

Your friends TV probably has a feature that allows him to remote control it, similar to screen share but more advanced.

32 minutes ago, MarioDerTrader said:

@myselfolli Hey again, i have got a question. He was talking about CMD but in the logs of our discord server i can find a cloudflare link to a program called zepto.min.js Should i worry about this? (That link below is a picture not a link btw)

Screenshot_138.png

And don't worry about this, it's a JavaScript library that's being importet from a cloudflare CDN (content delivery network). Judging by a quick google, it's supposed to help developers create apps easier.

So is the rest probably

7 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

Your friends TV probably has a feature that allows him to remote control it, similar to screen share but more advanced.

And don't worry about this, it's a JavaScript library that's being importet from a cloudflare CDN (content delivery network). Judging by a quick google, it's supposed to help developers create apps easier.

Thank you so much, i was worried again but the only thing he seems like he can do are batch files, so its ok. He also says "with a virus i made your pc can light up on fire" fucking absolute bullshit lol

5 minutes ago, MarioDerTrader said:

Thank you so much, i was worried again but the only thing he seems like he can do are batch files, so its ok. He also says "with a virus i made your pc can light up on fire" fucking absolute bullshit lol

As a recommendation: enable the file extensions in windows explorer.

It is possible to "hide" batch files by making them look like images or folders for example, by changing the icons etc. If you have the file extensions enabled however, the files will show up with a .bat ending.

Again, he probably won't be able to do anyhing actually harmful, but maybe some annoying stuff (flooding your hard drive with lots of bullshit files or shutting your PC off randomly).

So is the rest probably

8 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

Again, he probably won't be able to do anyhing actually harmful, but maybe some annoying stuff (flooding your hard drive with lots of bullshit files or shutting your PC off randomly).

But to do that he needs my private IP Address right?

11 minutes ago, MarioDerTrader said:

But to do that he needs my private IP Address right?

He'd need to send you the file and you'd need to open this ("Bro look at this picture I just sent you!").

So just don't click any links or open any files he sends you and you'll be fine. Also forget about the whole "he needs my public IP" stuff, it means absolutely nothing. Any website you access gives you its public IP, if that was a problem literally nothing would work.

So is the rest probably