Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dao

Raid 0 on Nvme SSD's on Mainboard

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys, i can put a Raid 0 on 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus installed on my ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming right? I'd like to put my Windows on there aswell.

Greetings Dao

10 minutes ago, Dao said:

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming

Well according to the website, it supports RAID, but why would you want to do this?

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Well according to the website, it supports RAID, but why would you want to do this?

Isnt it faster than a normal SSD? Especially on Raid 0?

2 minutes ago, Dao said:

Isnt it faster than a normal SSD? Especially on Raid 0?

NVMe-drives are already really fast; do you actually do something on your PC where you'd benefit from two NVMe-drives in a RAID0?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

well, you can connect one directly to the CPU, via PCI-e to M.2 NVMe adapter (bypassing the DMI 3.0 speed limitation), but doing RAID will be a little bit harder, and i don't remember if you can boot to it.

I have the same mainboard, and 64GB ram, and use ramcache for half of it, and get speeds up to 9900 MB/s 

follow this one to set it up. 

disk.JPG

On 2/18/2020 at 4:38 AM, Dao said:

Hey guys, i can put a Raid 0 on 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus installed on my ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming right? I'd like to put my Windows on there aswell.

Greetings Dao

Keep in mind that RAID may be faster in RAW transfer rates, but it also has overhead and requires additional processing. When you are dealing with drives as fast as NVMe, you take a big risk of that overhead and extra processing actually slowing down your access. Also, RAID 0 puts you at greater risk and makes it MUCH harder down the road if you need to replace the motherboard or switch out one of the SSDs.

I remember there was one video or article done quite right about it (can't find it now), the RAID 0 will decrease performance in lower queue depth, and increase it in higher queue depth. To be exactly correct, it's not always that it will increase it in higher queue depth, but the difference against one drive should me smaller. If sequential aren't important, it's usually bad idea for NVMe SSD. 

all that is valid for PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD (not PCIe 4.0)