Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mardon85

2080ti Temps and Max Clocks - HOW?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm seeing across the internet people claiming to run their 2080Ti's are 2100mhz+ on the core?? How and is this locked or for the first 10 seconds of a benchmark?

 

I've got a water cooled Gigabyte 2080Ti Gaming OC (A Chip) mounted under Kraken G12 Corsair H50 AIO with Noctua 1700rpm 120mm fan on the rad, Noctua 92mm mounted to the G12 and copper heat sinks on the RAM and VRMS. This is installed in a SFF V6 Ncase M1 with another 120mm intake fan mounted below the card. I have flashed the card with a KFA 130% power limit BIOS.

 

When gaming in metro exodus or benching time spy ultra I am hitting the power limit and card can run at 2140mhz for a short while then settles around 2070mhz with temps around 72C. Thats at 4k/60 RTX on.

I tried undervolting the card and it now runs at 1920mhz and 62C during metro or 52C on PUBG (3440x1400/100hz). I'll be keeping this setting as i've maxed out the refresh rate of the respective monitors.  

 

More for my personal interest or future performance headroom but how are people hitting 2100mhz+ on air without hitting a voltage limit? What am I doing wrong?

 

As a side note.. wow DLSS 2.0 on 'Deliver us the Moon' is a game changer! Decent performance bump for no discernable drop in image quality at 4K and lovely lovely reflections :D Please please Deep Sliver go back and patch metro Exodus especially now its on steam!

Link to post
Share on other sites

From what it sounds like, maybe nothing.  You’re ”hitting” 2140mhz.  It’s a question of what people mean by hitting.  You seem to want to average 2100mhz.  I’m not at all sure that is what these claims are.  Also I kinda doubt there’s a significant difference between 2070 and 2100 functionally.  Plus there’s individual chip differences to consider.  
People play with these numbers a lot.  It’s one reason reviewers count fps rather than MHz.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
33 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

From what it sounds like, maybe nothing.  You’re ”hitting” 2140mhz.  It’s a question of what people mean by hitting.  You seem to want to average 2100mhz.  I’m not at all sure that is what these claims are.  Also I kinda doubt there’s a significant difference between 2070 and 2100 functionally.  Plus there’s individual chip differences to consider.  
People play with these numbers a lot.  It’s one reason reviewers count fps rather than MHz.

I think that's what I was getting at. People are saying it but are they actually achieving it in a heavy load game? If so i'd love some tips.


Chip by chip difference isn't coming into play as yet because i'm hitting the power limit and not getting any crashes. So people that are getting 2100mhz in metro exodus must be under a larger radiator or custom loop i'm guessing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, mardon85 said:

I think that's what I was getting at. People are saying it but are they actually achieving it in a heavy load game? If so i'd love some tips.


Chip by chip difference isn't coming into play as yet because i'm hitting the power limit and not getting any crashes. So people that are getting 2100mhz in metro exodus must be under a larger radiator or custom loop i'm guessing?

No telling.  People write stuff on the internet.  Things like “how I got where I am” tend to get left out in a lot of things in life by a lot of people, generally for the same reason, that being the “if you knew what I did to get there it wouldn’t sound nearly as impressive”. 
 

I personally don’t bother overclocking video cards.  The performance difference between an overclocked card and a non overclocked card functionally is usually meager. 


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
57 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

No telling.  People write stuff on the internet.  Things like “how I got where I am” tend to get left out in a lot of things in life by a lot of people, generally for the same reason, that being the “if you knew what I did to get there it wouldn’t sound nearly as impressive”. 
 

I personally don’t bother overclocking video cards.  The performance difference between an overclocked card and a non overclocked card functionally is usually meager. 

Yes totally agree other than on GPU OCing. IMO it depends on the card and resolution you play at as to whether its worth it. I play at 4k/60 or 3440x1440/100 and with the help of DLSS I can pretty much max the games out so no massive need to overclock too much. I did need a little extra clock speed to get Metro where I needed though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my 2080 running at 2085mhz 

which I had to get my temps right down to do 

I peak at 2140mhz also 

I don’t think there are my people who run at 2100 MHz solid I think those are just peak numbers 

D58C0C5A-9EB8-44A0-AC66-0DC79F0940D6.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Good numbers 

27 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

I got my 2080 running at 2085mhz 

which I had to get my temps right down to do 

I peak at 2140mhz also 

I don’t think there are my people who run at 2100 MHz solid I think those are just peak numbers 

D58C0C5A-9EB8-44A0-AC66-0DC79F0940D6.jpeg

Good numbers! I had a 2080 Super and it ran considerably cooler than the 2080Ti. What cooling solution are you using?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t get this obsession with numbers.  It’s about how well the game works.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mardon85 said:

Good numbers 

Good numbers! I had a 2080 Super and it ran considerably cooler than the 2080Ti. What cooling solution are you using?

Vertical mount and side fan cut out  :)

82A2DDBB-0F64-4775-A01C-D6073B7F4D6C.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t get this obsession with numbers.  It’s about how well the game works.

I agree. But I like benchmarking when I get new hardware it's half the fun. 

I then settle on a sensible compromise between voltage, heat and performance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Normally when I play VR games and such, my 2080ti boost clocks to around 2130mhz or more between 29 degrees celsius to 39 degrees celcius. My card is the Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080ti Xtreme Waterforce WB 11g. I don't overclock, because there's no need to on a GPU like mine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, industromaxx said:

Normally when I play VR games and such, my 2080ti boost clocks to around 2130mhz or more between 29 degrees celsius to 39 degrees celcius. My card is the Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080ti Xtreme Waterforce WB 11g. I don't overclock, because there's no need to on a GPU like mine.

Your clocks are just via Nvidia GPU boost? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mardon85 said:

I'm seeing across the internet people claiming to run their 2080Ti's are 2100mhz+ on the core?? How and is this locked or for the first 10 seconds of a benchmark?

 

I've got a water cooled Gigabyte 2080Ti Gaming OC (A Chip) mounted under Kraken G12 Corsair H50 AIO with Noctua 1700rpm 120mm fan on the rad, Noctua 92mm mounted to the G12 and copper heat sinks on the RAM and VRMS. This is installed in a SFF V6 Ncase M1 with another 120mm intake fan mounted below the card. I have flashed the card with a KFA 130% power limit BIOS.

 

When gaming in metro exodus or benching time spy ultra I am hitting the power limit and card can run at 2140mhz for a short while then settles around 2070mhz with temps around 72C. Thats at 4k/60 RTX on.

I tried undervolting the card and it now runs at 1920mhz and 62C during metro or 52C on PUBG (3440x1400/100hz). I'll be keeping this setting as i've maxed out the refresh rate of the respective monitors.  

 

More for my personal interest or future performance headroom but how are people hitting 2100mhz+ on air without hitting a voltage limit? What am I doing wrong?

 

As a side note.. wow DLSS 2.0 on 'Deliver us the Moon' is a game changer! Decent performance bump for no discernable drop in image quality at 4K and lovely lovely reflections :D Please please Deep Sliver go back and patch metro Exodus especially now its on steam!

You can try adjusting voltage control via MSI afterburner by pressing ctrl f.

By allowing the coreclock to run much more stable over time.

 

I would assume that this forces a core cap, but also wouldnt allow it to vary as much.

 

I have a 2070 super, I can run my stable at 2050mhz at 1025mv. It will not drop unless tempertures reaches 70C.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious about how good your mount is on your GPU.  That 72*C makes me think your AIO coldplate isn't making the best contact.  


AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/3 Corsair SP120L and 3 Noctua NF-F12 3000 fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-15-14-14-30  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to post
Share on other sites

the card uses more power with rtx on, so see what the clocks are when it's off. 

 

Other than that, it's silicon lottery, though with a gaming oc the chip's probably a lower bin so there's a lower probability that it's gonna be great.

 

72C is quite high for an aio, just lowering the temps by like 5C will give u that 2100 core.


9900k 1.39v 5.2 83C 185w 1.24v 4.9 60C 135w 1.05v 4.5 90w 50C (doing some testing for hot days) all-2avx cinebench/blender temps. avx voltages in prime. ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios fixed LLC voltage gaps ll gskill 2x8gb cl16 ddr4000 bdie 1.42v ll EVGA 2080 ti XC (duo fan skinny) 1995//7600 power limited 79C max, stock voltage (really bad ocer) ll 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA G2 1300w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA272w (movie, work mon) 2k60 14bit lut ll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (rgb98)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 11:49 AM, mardon85 said:

Your clocks are just via Nvidia GPU boost? 

For my GPU, it's core clock is advertised to be at 1770mhz. When I run a lot of my VR games, or other Triple A titles, it goes up to 2100+mhz without manually overclocking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×