WD Green SSD good?

Newblesse Obblige

i heard the old WD Green is bad(is there really a refresh?) and now they say the new version has 3D NAND. so is it still worth buying it?

Generally the "green" drive are low power based on storage. 

If looking to use these for the operating system, I'd steer away from that idea personally.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Generally the "green" drive are low power based on storage. 

If looking to use these for the operating system, I'd steer away from that idea personally.

what about using it as a storage drive like what a mech drive does? i know the answer but i want opinions haha

Well I have 2 WD green spinners. I've had them for a long time. They are 64mb cache as well (something I look for in HDDs, high cache amount).

When the system is in power savings or balanced mode, they sleep as intended. 

I think they are reliable drives, but I cannot comment on the SSD versions though. The storage space is too small for too much moneys imo.

21 minutes ago, 5NibbaHertz said:

i heard the old WD Green is bad(is there really a refresh?) and now they say the new version has 3D NAND. so is it still worth buying it?

The "Green" drives are slow and break a lot. Don't buy them. I just buy WD Black for everything. What I "save" in energy is not worth losing the data on the drives when they fail from too much spin-up/spin-down events.