Old hardrive help

TheManWhoNeedsHelp
Go to solution Solved by greenmax,
12 minutes ago, TheManWhoNeedsHelp said:

I have a dos formatted windows 98 system drive, how do I retrieve the data of of it on a new pc?

What data do you require?

12 minutes ago, TheManWhoNeedsHelp said:

I have a dos formatted windows 98 system drive, how do I retrieve the data of of it on a new pc?

Sounds like you need an IDE to USB adapter and a way to power the molex connector.  I personally use an old PSU and jump the power though there is probably an adapter for it.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What connection does it have?

I think it is ide, but I have a working adapter to usb

Just now, nick name said:

Sounds like you need an IDE to USB adapter and a way to power the molex connector.  I personally use an old PSU and jump the power though there is probably an adapter for it.  

Have one

6 minutes ago, greenmax said:

Some old coding files, (my dad has been trying to get them for a while, he made them when he was a kid so I want to surprise him)

If you know the name or the extension of the file, you could retrieve them easy enough.

Their are programs for that.

1 minute ago, TheManWhoNeedsHelp said:

Have one

Then you should be able to just plug it in with power.  Be mindful of the master/slave jumper on the back.  I think taking it off is best, but I can't remember.  I didn't have any problems when I pulled data off my 20 year old drive.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

21 minutes ago, TheManWhoNeedsHelp said:

Acquire a ATA to USB 2.0 adapter, copy everything off it.

Just now, Kisai said:

Acquire a ATA to USB 2.0 adapter, copy everything off it.

Can you send a link to something like that?

1 minute ago, nick name said:

Then you should be able to just plug it in with power.  Be mindful of the master/slave jumper on the back.  I think taking it off is best, but I can't remember.  I didn't have any problems when I pulled data off my 20 year old drive.  

My problem is the FORTMAT not connecting, it is a win98 format

Just now, TheManWhoNeedsHelp said:

My problem is the FORTMAT not connecting, it is a win98 format

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

My pc won’t see it

My pc won’t see it

Win98/DOS format is FAT16 or FAT32, both can be seen by all versions of Windows. If it can't see it, then it's probably damaged.

My pc won’t see it

Did you troubleshoot the power and check the jumper on the back?  Try different USB ports?  See if it was visible in Device Manager or Drive Management?  

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

does it show up when the adapter is used?

It will see it in the windows 10 format utility, but is a unreadable format for windows 10

It will see it in the windows 10 format utility, but is a unreadable format for windows 10

Make a image of the drive first.

DO you know how it was formatted?

Can you show a disk utility screenshot?

Do you hear the drive spin-up?

Can you screenshot that for us?

Sure

image.jpg

Then the drive's been damaged, you will need to find a data recovery tool.