Non modular PSU problems...

Reaper814

Hello I have a bit of a mess here. I got a cooler master extreme power 500w PSU that is non modular. I also have a RX 590 that requires a 6 pin pcie and a 8 pin pcie. The PSU has only a 6 pin pcie. (I am pretty sure.) So can I get a 6+8 pin pcie adapter or am I going to have to get a new PSU. Any response is appreciated!

You can get a 2 x molex -> pci-e 8 pin adapter cable.  DO NOT get a 2xSATA -> pci-e 8pin adapter, sata are worse.

Even so, it's kind of a bad idea. RX 590 consumes around 250 watts. If you add the cpu and everything else, you'd be close to the power supply's maximum capability on 12v output... and the power supply also claims there's 2  12v rails, each with maximum 18A ... so depending to which 12v rail those molex connectors are connected to, you may overload one of the 12v rails and cause the psu to shut down even though the total power consumption is below 500w.

Personally, I would buy the adapter cable, cut the molex connectors at one end, open the power supply and solder the wires into the proper holes (or cut a bit of insulation off existing wires and solder the wires from the adapter cable to the power supply cables.

But, I can understand if you don't know how to do this or don't want to.

The Cooler Master extreme power 500W is quite an old model, at least 10 years old now. My recommendation would be to look at purchasing a new power supply for your system that has the appropriate connectors.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Reaper814 said:

Hello I have a bit of a mess here. I got a cooler master extreme power 500w PSU that is non modular. I also have a RX 590 that requires a 6 pin pcie and a 8 pin pcie. The PSU has only a 6 pin pcie. (I am pretty sure.) So can I get a 6+8 pin pcie adapter or am I going to have to get a new PSU. Any response is appreciated!

You need to get rid of that PSU and get something more appropriate.

I found a 6 pin to x2 6+2 pin adapter do you know of any problems with adapters like that?

2 hours ago, Reaper814 said:

I found a 6 pin to x2 6+2 pin adapter do you know of any problems with adapters like that?

Yes.  As everyone else has already stated, it's a bad idea and you need to get rid of that PSU and get something more appropriate.

20 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yes.  As everyone else has already stated, it's a bad idea and you need to get rid of that PSU and get something more appropriate.

Suggestions?

What's your budget? USA?

If you're in the USA the EVGA GD 500W currently has a $15 mail in rebate bringing it down to $45. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vHhmP6/evga-gd-2019-500-w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-100-gd-0500-v1

If you're on a really right budget there's the EVGA BR that's down to $35 after $10 rebate (or just $40 from Amazon without rebate). https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xDMwrH/evga-br-450w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-100-br-0450-k1

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450