Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clean

Ultra wide screen for programming?

Just now, clean said:

and the challenge with full screen IDE's/VM's

Most ultrawides support screen splitting, where you can have multiple "virtual" screens on the one display.

But I totally get what you mean. Do whatever makes your workflow thrive

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi all,

 

I hope everyone is having a nice family day weekend! 

 

My current setup has a main display 1080p 144hz 24"  monitor and a side display of a 24" 60hz 1080p monitor. Both are VESA mounted but I never rotate them vertically as I once thought I would (too lazy tbh), also both panels are meh but I honestly do not care about color accuracy as I do little front end work. I was wondering if anyone here has an ultra wide that they code with and can give me  incite on the ups an downs. My displays are both nearing 4 years old and are looking outdated. I could easily last another 4 years with them but am looking to upgrade to a higher resolution so I can better test some of my programs. I will likely got back to two monitors but am open to an ultra wide (an if I need I could also use one of my old monitors as a secondary display). Before purchasing I wish to ask you all if anyone has positive or negative experience with Ultra wide displays so i can make a decision biased off similar use cases.

 

Regards,

Clean 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a CS student and use an ultrawide.

 

I never liked vertical displays, I found them awkward to manage - which is why I went this route. Right now I have a 34" ultrawide sided by another 27" 16:9 display.

I like the real estate I get with the display, allows me to organize the millions of windows and tabs I have open fairly leniently. 

 

A larger focus of my schoolwork is more front end stuff, but I do still do some background work as well. 

 

If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to answer


|| ℍ𝕚 𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕪𝕒 || 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: GTX 1080 || Memory: 16GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Noctua D15 || PSU: 750W EVGA G2 || Case: Define C

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use an ultrawide and it blows my laptop screen out of the water.

But, I feel like multiple standard monitors would be better because then you can have multiple programs open in maximized mode.

That said, certain IDEs do indeed organize better on ultrawides.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
23 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I'm a CS student and use an ultrawide.

 

I never liked vertical displays, I found them awkward to manage - which is why I went this route. Right now I have a 34" ultrawide sided by another 27" 16:9 display.

I like the real estate I get with the display, allows me to organize the millions of windows and tabs I have open fairly leniently. 

 

A larger focus of my schoolwork is more front end stuff, but I do still do some background work as well. 

 

If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to answer

When you look at your side monitor do you need to move your neck? I have slight neck ticks and wish to avoid moving it if possible. Is this possible with your setup or do you find yourself moving ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, Trinopoty said:

I use an ultrawide and it blows my laptop screen out of the water.

But, I feel like multiple standard monitors would be better because then you can have multiple programs open in maximized mode.

That said, certain IDEs do indeed organize better on ultrawides.

Great point with the full screen, didn't even think of when Im running my VM on the second monitor! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, clean said:

When you look at your side monitor do you need to move your neck? I have slight neck ticks and wish to avoid moving it if possible. Is this possible with your setup or do you find yourself moving ? 

Just slightly, not very much. To look at my other monitor, definitely.

But with the ultrawide- just a bit, but you get used to it.


|| ℍ𝕚 𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕪𝕒 || 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: GTX 1080 || Memory: 16GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Noctua D15 || PSU: 750W EVGA G2 || Case: Define C

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
21 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yeah why not? More space to work with.

You can split the monitor into 2 or 3 region just like using dual or triple monitor.

Yeah the new samsung monitor is as wide as 2 16:9 ones, looks cool to me. Not sure how apps will deal with it though

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, clean said:

Yeah the new samsung monitor is as wide as 2 16:9 ones, looks cool to me. Not sure how apps will deal with it though

 

My experience is that virtual separation of monitors is always clunky no matter what software I use to do it.

Maybe if monitors had hardware support for that and present itself as 2 different monitors to the PC, it's be much better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Slottr said:

Just slightly, not very much. To look at my other monitor, definitely.

But with the ultrawide- just a bit, but you get used to it.

Thanks for the input on that, I think i'm sticking to dual monitors and I don't want to move my neck too much and the challenge with full screen IDE's/VM's. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer
Just now, clean said:

and the challenge with full screen IDE's/VM's

Most ultrawides support screen splitting, where you can have multiple "virtual" screens on the one display.

But I totally get what you mean. Do whatever makes your workflow thrive


|| ℍ𝕚 𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕪𝕒 || 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: GTX 1080 || Memory: 16GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Noctua D15 || PSU: 750W EVGA G2 || Case: Define C

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×