Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tesco value smurf

Are sata to molex adapters safe?

40 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Well, if it doesn't have additional 6 pin or 8 pin pci-e connectors, the video card is not allowed to consume more than 75 watts (in an ideal world up to 10w from 3.3v and 65w from 12v)

So with an i3, you're most likely below the 150w threshold when it comes to 12v power consumption, so even though such power supply like that Logisys is horrible, it shouldn't blow up.

I would still recommend changing it with something from a more reputable manufacturer.

Even this cheap 35$ Rosewill psu is probably 2 times better than a Logisys: https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-rd-series-rd400s-400w/p/N82E16817182074

If you're in US, evga sells some cheap power supplies for as little as 25$ (after 10-15$ mail in rebate comes through):

EVGA - Products - EVGA 400 N1, 400W, 2 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-N1-0400-L1 - 100-N1-0400-L1

EVGA - Products - EVGA 450 BR, 80+ BRONZE 450W, 3 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-BR-0450-K1 - 100-BR-0450-K1

a less than 50$ psu with a 4 star rating? i wish i found this 2 power supplys ago... would have saved me 46$ worth of useless power supplies.

edit: the psu worked and i booted the pc into the bios, i have orded the psu reccomended to me by @mariushm Thanks for the help guys!

20200217_153916.jpg?width=226&height=301

Posted · Original PosterOP

Im building a pc with a psu that i bought from a friend, he said he had been useing it for years and it was reliable, problem is is that the sata power has a cut wire that im to lazy/have no idea how to fix, however the molex wires seem fine.

If i used a molex to sata adapter would that be a fire hazard? I have heard useing adapters on powersupplys isnt a good idea. The psu is a logisys 480 watt from 2014.

(here is a pic)

20200217_134107.jpg?width=226&height=301

8 minutes ago, tesco value smurf said:

If i used a molex to sata adapter would that be a fire hazard?

nope, they're both rated for pretty low amounts of power so it's not really a big deal to use one or the other. I personally use a SATA splitter in my own rig for a couple hard drives.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

A true friend wouldn't have sold you that.  Did he do so because you don't have money for another PSU?  If you can afford another PSU then I ask that friend for a refund and find another PSU.  

As far as that SATA cable -- you can repair it pretty simply if there is enough slack on either side of the cut.  

And if you're going molex to SATA then I wouldn't worry about the adapter so much as the actual PSU.  

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/3 Corsair SP120L and 3 Noctua NF-F12 3000 fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-15-14-14-30  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Just now, nick name said:

A true friend wouldn't have sold you that.  Did he do so because you don't have money for another PSU?  If you can afford another PSU then I ask that friend for a refund and find another PSU.  

As far as that SATA cable -- you can repair it pretty simply if there is enough slack on either side of the cut.  

And if you're going molex to SATA then I wouldn't worry about the adapter so much as the actual PSU.  

he did because i didnt have money for a psu. first i wasted 26$ ona  hercules unit on ebay that after some research i found out wasnt entirely safe, so i figured anything could be better than that. my budget was 20$ when i got the psu from him

That power supply from 2014 is not capable of 480 watts. Wasn't back then, isn't now. If you're lucky, it can probably do 250-300w.

Considering the age, I would worry about the fan quality... it's probably lacking lubrication and if the fan seizes at some point, that power supply probably has no protections and would burn itself down.

If you take a clear shot of the label of that psu, I may be able to give you more details about the psu.

Yeah, technically molex to sata adapters are safe, as long as you don't use them for very high power devices.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

That power supply from 2014 is not capable of 480 watts. Wasn't back then, isn't now. If you're lucky, it can probably do 250-300w.

What are you basing this on, especially when you can't even tell the model?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures

It's one of those power supplies with 110v/220v switch in the back, based on a design from the times when cpu was powered by 5v, and then modified to give more power on 12v because in the Pentium 4 and Athlon XP they started to use 12v to power the cpu.

They usually raise the current capability of the diodes inside which rectify the voltage on the secondary side, but usually the high frequency transformers and primary transistors are undersized and can't handle more than 250-350w with any efficiency (I expect that to be around 70% efficient at 200w)

Also Logisys is known to more or less LIE on the label ... and most shitty brands lie.

If you don't believe me, see this:  https://www.newegg.com/logisys-computer-ps480d2-480w/p/N82E16817170016

LOGISYS Computer PS480D2 480W ATX12V Power Supply

Now look at the label and what it says :

image.thumb.png.bd41a9173c04c93b47be642861f845ca.png

So like I said... high current on 3.3v and 5v is indicative of pre- 12v designs, ancient. The fact that it has -5v is also a sign, as that was deprecated a loong time ago... I'm too lazy to look it up but I think before 2010.

Also note : 3.3v + 5v combined =  200w  ... this is actually believable, though i wouldn't give it more than 150w. I'm 90% sure the psu can't do 36A on 5v... maybe 25-30A.

But note the next line : 3.3v + 5v + 12v =  330w 

and also note that on 12v it's rated for 16A max ... that means 12v x 16A = 192w max

Also, in reality, it wouldn't surprise me at all if you would find that the rectifier diode(s) are rated for 10A (2 5A diodes) or some 12-15A diode... it may not even do 16A on 12v.

This psu would be sold by an honest seller before the P4 times as a 300-360w psu rated for 3.3v 25A , 5v 25A , 12v 8-10A or something like that... perfectly fine specs for a before Pentium 4 pc. 

The total max. output of 480w is a joke... think of it like ... yeah, you'll get 480w for half a second before the primary transistors blow up and the psu is dead for good.

tagging @JoostinOnline

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It's one of those power supplies with 110v/220v switch in the back, based on a design from the times when cpu was powered by 5v, and then modified to give more power on 12v because in the Pentium 4 and Athlon XP they started to use 12v to power the cpu.

They usually raise the current capability of the diodes inside which rectify the voltage on the secondary side, but usually the high frequency transformers and primary transistors are undersized and can't handle more than 250-350w with any efficiency (I expect that to be around 70% efficient at 200w)

Also Logisys is known to more or less LIE on the label ... and most shitty brands lie.

If you don't believe me, see this:  https://www.newegg.com/logisys-computer-ps480d2-480w/p/N82E16817170016

LOGISYS Computer PS480D2 480W ATX12V Power Supply

Now look at the label and what it says :

image.thumb.png.bd41a9173c04c93b47be642861f845ca.png

So like I said... high current on 3.3v and 5v is indicative of pre- 12v designs, ancient. The fact that it has -5v is also a sign, as that was deprecated

Also note : 3.3v + 5v combined =  200w  ... this is actually believable, though i wouldn't give it more than 150w.

But note the next line : 3.3v + 5v + 12v =  330w 

and also note that on 12v it's rated for 16A max ... that means 12v x 16A = 192w max

Also, in reality, it wouldn't surprise me at all if you would find that the rectifier diode(s) are rated for 10A (2 5A diodes) or some 12-15A diode... it may not even do 16A on 12v.

This psu would be sold by an honest seller before the P4 times as a 300-360w psu rated for 3.3v 25A , 5v 25A , 12v 8-10A or something like that... perfectly fine specs for a before Pentium 4 pc. 

The total max. output of 480w is a joke... think of it like ... yeah, you'll get 480w for half a second before the primary transistors blow up and the psu is dead for good.

tagging @JoostinOnline

are you suggesting that if i use this power supply on something like a core i3 it will cause damage? the friend that sold this to me was useing a pc with a, phenom i think? or it was an athlon, i dont exactly remember when we took it apart togather, but i believe the ram was ddr3 (I THINK IM NOT SURE) and it was not a single core cpu. also it was paired with a 650 ti.

5 minutes ago, tesco value smurf said:

are you suggesting that if i use this power supply on something like a core i3 it will cause damage? the friend that sold this to me was useing a pc with a, phenom i think? or it was an athlon, i dont exactly remember when we took it apart togather, but i believe the ram was ddr3 (I THINK IM NOT SURE) and it was not a single core cpu. also it was paired with a 650 ti.

A core i3 doesn't consume a lot of power ... depending on the i3, it could be anything between 30w and let's say 60w.

The Phenom cpu was probably consuming up to around 50-60w

A GTX 650ti consumed up to around 110 watts.

DDR3 ram doesn't consume much, maybe 1-2 watts per stick. A mechanical drive consumes around 8-10w, around 3w on 5v and the rest from 12v

The motherboard on such old machines would consume around 10-20w mostly from 5v.

Fans consume around 1-2w from 12v

So it's quite possible his maximum power consumption on 12v was below even that pitiful 192w advertised value (which in reality is inflated most likely) and the psu didn't die on him.

Your i3 probably uses little power, let's say under 50w ... it all depends on how much the video card uses if you use separate video card.

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

A core i3 doesn't consume a lot of power ... depending on the i3, it could be anything between 30w and let's say 60w.

The Phenom cpu was probably consuming up to around 50-60w

A GTX 650ti consumed up to around 110 watts.

DDR3 ram doesn't consume much, maybe 1-2 watts per stick. A mechanical drive consumes around 8-10w, around 3w on 5v and the rest from 12v

The motherboard on such old machines would consume around 10-20w mostly from 5v.

Fans consume around 1-2w from 12v

So it's quite possible his maximum power consumption on 12v was below even that pitiful 192w advertised value (which in reality is inflated most likely) and the psu didn't die on him.

Your i3 probably uses little power, let's say under 50w ... it all depends on how much the video card uses if you use separate video card.

the gpu is a dell oem R9 360

heres a pic:

See the source image

2 minutes ago, tesco value smurf said:

the gpu is a dell oem R9 360

heres a pic:

Well, if it doesn't have additional 6 pin or 8 pin pci-e connectors, the video card is not allowed to consume more than 75 watts (in an ideal world up to 10w from 3.3v and 65w from 12v)

So with an i3, you're most likely below the 150w threshold when it comes to 12v power consumption, so even though such power supply like that Logisys is horrible, it shouldn't blow up.

I would still recommend changing it with something from a more reputable manufacturer.

Even this cheap 35$ Rosewill psu is probably 2 times better than a Logisys: https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-rd-series-rd400s-400w/p/N82E16817182074

If you're in US, evga sells some cheap power supplies for as little as 25$ (after 10-15$ mail in rebate comes through):

EVGA - Products - EVGA 400 N1, 400W, 2 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-N1-0400-L1 - 100-N1-0400-L1

EVGA - Products - EVGA 450 BR, 80+ BRONZE 450W, 3 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-BR-0450-K1 - 100-BR-0450-K1

Posted · Original PosterOP · Best Answer
40 minutes ago, mariushm said:

a less than 50$ psu with a 4 star rating? i wish i found this 2 power supplys ago... would have saved me 46$ worth of useless power supplies.

edit: the psu worked and i booted the pc into the bios, i have orded the psu reccomended to me by @mariushm Thanks for the help guys!

20200217_153916.jpg?width=226&height=301

3 hours ago, tesco value smurf said:

Im building a pc with a psu that i bought from a friend, he said he had been useing it for years and it was reliable, problem is is that the sata power has a cut wire that im to lazy/have no idea how to fix, however the molex wires seem fine.

If i used a molex to sata adapter would that be a fire hazard? I have heard useing adapters on powersupplys isnt a good idea. The psu is a logisys 480 watt from 2014.

(here is a pic)

A SATA/Molex adapter is no more dangerous than the garbage PSU you're using.

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

What's worse than a Hercules?  A Logisys.  :D

14 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

A Logisys. 

just call it the second coming of diablotek

PSU Tier List 4.0//Motherboard Tier List//Community Standards//ATX Specification//Group Regulation//Topologies and Regulations//How many watts?//PSU Protections

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k 5.0ghz

GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming

RAM: 2x8 3333 mhz DDR4 Trident Z

MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC

HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB

Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX650

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 Slim Glacier White 500 GB

PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 GB

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

30 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

just call it the second coming of diablotek

I think Logisys was around the same time as the original Powmax made Diabloteks.