Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tesco value smurf

Optiplex 3010 case swap

38 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

A 5 pin power button connector?!  That doesn’t sound right.

keep in mind its a dell oem computer, but the pins are around the same size as any other powerbutton pins and spaced around the same, so i could just try plugging the 2pin power button connector into random pins until ti works, could that fry a motherboard?

 

edit: here is a pic of the the powerbutton connectors side by side

20200217_151845.jpg?width=400&height=300

 

seasonc edit: i did exactly that and i got the 2 pin power button connector to work in the 5 pin dell oem power button connector heres a pic of the new pc running

20200217_153916.jpg?width=226&height=301

now i just need a drive lol

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have recently obtained a Dell optiplex 3010, conveniently i found it while trying to build a computer for a friend, however the gpu i have wont fit in it, and the psu is not gonna like a high power gpu im willing to bet. I already have another case and a psu i could move it into but i would like to know if it would fit.

20200217_131251.jpg?width=512&height=683

The places where the screws are do seem very similar to ATX to me, but i would like other peoples input on this, maybe some expierence from someone who has attempted something like this.

 

Here is a better picture of the mobo, does this look like ATX?

See the source image

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tesco value smurf said:

I have recently obtained a Dell optiplex 3010, conveniently i found it while trying to build a computer for a friend, however the gpu i have wont fit in it, and the psu is not gonna like a high power gpu im willing to bet. I already have another case and a psu i could move it into but i would like to know if it would fit.

 

The places where the screws are do seem very similar to ATX to me, but i would like other peoples input on this, maybe some expierence from someone who has attempted something like this.

 

Here is a better picture of the mobo, does this look like ATX?

 

Looks like micro ATX to me.

 

The only challenge I forsee is that these cases/motherboards often use proprietary front panel connectors/pinouts. Might have to do some digging to figure out where to hookup the power switch. 


Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

Link to post
Share on other sites

The traditional move for prebuilts is to run the fastest card available at the time that will run off motherboard power alone and has no external power ports.  I think currently that’s the 1650ti.  I may be wrong about that though.  There are people here better informed than me.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Bombastinator said:

The traditional move for prebuilts is to run the fastest card available at the time that will run off motherboard power alone and has no external power ports.  I think currently that’s the 1650ti.  I may be wrong about that though.  There are people here better informed than me.

I have a dell oem r9 360 i can put in it, it runs on motherboard power but wouldnt fit in a SFF case, that and 250 watts seems a bit low.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

The traditional move for prebuilts is to run the fastest card available at the time that will run off motherboard power alone and has no external power ports.  I think currently that’s the 1650ti.  I may be wrong about that though.  There are people here better informed than me.

all 1650 ti models have a power connector, so it'd have to be a 1650 (non ti) with no connector.


Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tesco value smurf said:

I have a dell oem r9 360 i can put in it, it runs on motherboard power but wouldnt fit in a SFF case, that and 250 watts seems a bit low.

Personally, i'd go with one of these and run it on the stock PSU/case.

 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1542399-REG/zotac_zt_t16500h_10l_geforce_tx_1650_twin.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs6qStLvZ5wIVTV8NCh3YawQnEAQYASABEgIb4PD_BwE

 

These seem to be either out of stock for the most part or slightly marked up around $160-$170. Might be worth waiting a bit and getting email notification for stock.


Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

Personally, i'd go with one of these and run it on the stock PSU/case.

 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1542399-REG/zotac_zt_t16500h_10l_geforce_tx_1650_twin.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs6qStLvZ5wIVTV8NCh3YawQnEAQYASABEgIb4PD_BwE

 

These seem to be either out of stock for the most part or slightly marked up around $160-$170. Might be worth waiting a bit and getting email notification for stock.

I have already moved the mobo to another case and everything seems well. problem now is getting it to power on,

image.png.a115e71390da9304cf9a24de4533b20a.png

thats the power button connected to the mobo in my last pic, it has 5 pins, however it doesnt look like i will be able to remove it from the case (at least without breaking something) would i be able to plug the 2pin power button connector in the new case to it? it looks like it would fit onto any 2 of the 5 pins on the mobo

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tesco value smurf said:

I have already moved the mobo to another case and everything seems well. problem now is getting it to power on,

image.png.a115e71390da9304cf9a24de4533b20a.png

thats the power button connected to the mobo in my last pic, it has 5 pins, however it doesnt look like i will be able to remove it from the case (at least without breaking something) would i be able to plug the 2pin power button connector in the new case to it? it looks like it would fit onto any 2 of the 5 pins on the mobo

A 5 pin power button connector?!  That doesn’t sound right.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP · Best Answer
38 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

A 5 pin power button connector?!  That doesn’t sound right.

keep in mind its a dell oem computer, but the pins are around the same size as any other powerbutton pins and spaced around the same, so i could just try plugging the 2pin power button connector into random pins until ti works, could that fry a motherboard?

 

edit: here is a pic of the the powerbutton connectors side by side

20200217_151845.jpg?width=400&height=300

 

seasonc edit: i did exactly that and i got the 2 pin power button connector to work in the 5 pin dell oem power button connector heres a pic of the new pc running

20200217_153916.jpg?width=226&height=301

now i just need a drive lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, tesco value smurf said:

keep in mind its a dell oem computer, but the pins are around the same size as any other powerbutton pins and spaced around the same, so i could just try plugging the 2pin power button connector into random pins until ti works, could that fry a motherboard?

 

edit: here is a pic of the the powerbutton connectors side by side

20200217_151845.jpg?width=400&height=300

 

seasonc edit: i did exactly that and i got the 2 pin power button connector to work in the 5 pin dell oem power button connector heres a pic of the new pc running

20200217_153916.jpg?width=226&height=301

now i just need a drive lol

We recently designed some adapters that do exactly what you want, they also retain the original diagnostic indicators on the 390 & 3010 models and get rid of that annoying front panel error. Schematics and more info here: https://github.com/HarbinRepairs/Dell-Optiplex-MB-Header-Adapters, hope this helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 2/18/2020 at 12:17 PM, harbinrepairs said:

We recently designed some adapters that do exactly what you want, they also retain the original diagnostic indicators on the 390 & 3010 models and get rid of that annoying front panel error. Schematics and more info here: https://github.com/HarbinRepairs/Dell-Optiplex-MB-Header-Adapters, hope this helps.

Hey, this actually looks pretty usefull, thanks man!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×