My first rig

Prathamesh232
Go to solution Solved by Archer20,
1 minute ago, Prathamesh232 said:

Okay thts and it's the same price as the z390 one thanks!you saved me 4000(Rs) bucks overall?(not to mention the knowledge assurance upgradability and performance upgrades) !

You're very welcome. I'm happy to help. I love to educate people, I feel it's my duty nowdays because I had my own mentors years ago and passing on knowledge is important!

I am building my first gaming/programming pc this spring.I have picked all the parts just waiting for a sale.I wanted to know if these selections are reasonable and future proof.

Parts:

i7 9700k 

Asus rog strix z390-e mobo

16 gigs(2×8gb) Trident G skill 3200mhz RAM

RTX 2080 super graphics card

Corsair h100i 360mm aio cooler

Corsair RM 750w PSU

Samsung 970 Evo plus 250 GB SSD

Seagate Skyhawk 2TB HDD

Corsair crystal 460x case

Acer 27 XV27U 1440p 144hz freesync(gsync isn't certified but it's runs gsync and this monitor is one of the 12 non gsync monitors that Nvidia said will run gsync fine)

Everything else like the peripherals are covered, getting a 2080ti is going off budget  and I need the rig before July because thts when my college starts and I am going to leave town and can't make a PC at college dorms so can I wait for more recent components and how are these components ?(sorry for such a long post)pls help I m a newbie.

(For the ppl how are seeing this after editing...the parts mentioned above are what I chose but then these good ppl on the forum helped me and I swapped some parts which I am now adding here for future comments)

Cooler swapped to: Corsair h100i 240mm(also there's no such thing as h100i 360mm it's 240 mm it was a mistake up there sorry 360 mm one is h150i)

Cpu swapped to : amd rysen 7 3700x 

Motherboard swapped to : asus rog strix x570-f

Thanks everyone , happy life?!

Edited by Prathamesh232
Update

There is no such thing as future proof, especially with AMD making a comeback. I built my current rig in 2018, and it was cutting edge. Now, it's just high end.

Needless to say, your selections are fine and will last you a a while.

CPU: AMD Threadripper 2950X 16 Core/ 32 Thread 4.4ghz (XFR)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme

GPU: EVGA GTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

RAM: Quad Channel Gskill Flare X 32GB 2933mhz 14-14-14-34

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

nice build, but some recoments i got for you

a Corsiar AIO is good but not necesasy, you can go for a alphacoll 240mm for example or just a good air cooler like noctura

if you want a second grafic card 750W is good but its a bit much for 1 graca in your system 500W-600W is fine

your ssd is a bit small and a nvme is only reasonable for working loads, a 500gb sata ssd shut be fine

and your ram seems a bit overpriced

Intel 9700 is not future proof. it will be obsolete this year.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

it will be obsolete this year.

obsolete? hardly. even quad cores like the 4570K aren't obsolete for gaming. it's definitely not future proof though.

@Prathamesh232 if you are worried about the future, buy an AMD processor. Ryzen has a legitimate upgrade path to the 4000 series this semester, which will allow you to upgrade, but that motherboard will only allow you to upgrade to a 9900k at most.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

A strong 8 core will be plenty sufficient for him for years to come. Technically anything is obsolete the moment it's successor is released. Granted, the 3900x would be overall a better option for not much more.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

obsolete? hardly. even quad cores like the 4570K aren't obsolete for gaming. it's definitely not future proof though.

I meant as future proofing, the socket won't be around. And upgradabilty is limited to 9900.

Better just wait for 10th gen, just around the corner.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

I meant as future proofing, the socket won't be around. And upgradabilty is limited to 9900.

Better just wait for 10th gen, just around the corner.

It's funny you mention that because when I built, I thought the TR4 socket was still going to be around ?. But ya, this year will be a year of shakeup in both the CPU and GPU departments. I wouldn't build/upgrade anything until later on this year based on the leaks and what I've been hearing from Intel/AMD and AMD/NVIDIA.

12 minutes ago, DG House said:

nice build, but some recoments i got for you

a Corsiar AIO is good but not necesasy, you can go for a alphacoll 240mm for example or just a good air cooler like noctura

if you want a second grafic card 750W is good but its a bit much for 1 graca in your system 500W-600W is fine

your ssd is a bit small and a nvme is only reasonable for working loads, a 500gb sata ssd shut be fine

and your ram seems a bit overpriced

Thanks for so many tips .okay smaller PSU check.(is 80 plus gold necessary?).also aio I chose is 240 mm (my bad sorry, everything else is correct I double checked now)well I live in India and alphacomm is not available here and other aios available are nzxt deepcool and thermaltake which are pretty much in the same price range so I was sticking with Corsair coz the case is theirs as well and comes with a built in hub.About the ram yea there are cheaper Rams but they saving there wasn't benefitting in upgrading somewhere else also the are aura sync rgb?

4 minutes ago, Archer20 said:

It's funny you mention that because when I built, I thought the TR4 socket was still going to be around ?. But ya, this year will be a year of shakeup in both the CPU and GPU departments. I wouldn't build/upgrade anything until later on this year based on the leaks and what I've been hearing from Intel/AMD and AMD/NVIDIA.

As far as i know, only AM4 promised for 2020.

22 minutes ago, Archer20 said:

There is no such thing as future proof, especially with AMD making a comeback. I built my current rig in 2018, and it was cutting edge. Now, it's just high end.

Needless to say, your selections are fine and will last you a a while.

Okaay but can you still run AAA titles like RDR2 ,control etc at med or high settings at decent fps?

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

As far as i know, only AM4 promised for 2020.

That is correct, but initially it was hinted that TR4 would continue for that long as well. Clearly, the architectural changes dictated a different path. The way a threadripper CPU is constructed was different than mainstream.

Okaay but can you still run AAA titles like RDR2 ,control etc at med or high settings at decent fps?

I run 4K Ultra 60 fps. No problems here. And for editing, rendering and parallel workloads, it excels.

Yea I am aware tht Radeon is launching hardware Ray tracing and stuff and the amd 4000 series but thts mid 2020 and I need a full till June at least ( mostly quicker might enjoy summer for a change)

Just now, Archer20 said:

I run 4K Ultra 60 fps. No problems here. And for editing, rendering and parallel workloads, it excels.

Wow that's really great news thank you so much

3 minutes ago, Prathamesh232 said:

If you have a 2080 super, any current cpu will run anything in flying colors.

Just now, Prathamesh232 said:

Wow that's really great news thank you so much

Your welcome. Keep in mind, for 4K, you can turn down AA a bit, because things are already quite sharp.

Thanks for so many tips .okay smaller PSU check.(is 80 plus gold necessary?).also aio I chose is 240 mm (my bad sorry, everything else is correct I double checked now)well I live in India and alphacomm is not available here and other aios available are nzxt deepcool and thermaltake which are pretty much in the same price range so I was sticking with Corsair coz the case is theirs as well and comes with a built in hub.About the ram yea there are cheaper Rams but they saving there wasn't benefitting in upgrading somewhere else also the are aura sync rgb?

80+ Gold is not super neccasy but surely good casue is more efficent

for your AIO if aura snyc is importent go for corsair

and for the intel amd stuff,

yes amd is surely more futureproof and is has more today features but intel single clock is higher

its deppends on your loads

Just now, Archer20 said:

Your welcome. Keep in mind, for 4K, you can turn down AA a bit, because things are already quite sharp.

Yeaaa and I am not  into 4k me though playing single player at 2k is fine for me...and for fps games its always 1080p(even lower for csgo)

Yea I am aware tht Radeon is launching hardware Ray tracing and stuff and the amd 4000 series but thts mid 2020 and I need a full till June at least ( mostly quicker might enjoy summer for a change)

Radeon and Ryzen is a completely separate parts.

You can use AMD cpu with Nvidia or Intel with Radeon, doesn't matter.

Just now, Prathamesh232 said:

Yeaaa and I am not  into 4k me though playing single player at 2k is fine for me...and for fps games its always 1080p(even lower for csgo)

You will be fine for a long while then.

22 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

So when are the new motherboards and 10000 series CPUs coming and how is it obsolete when 10 series is just a clock boost as it still works on the same 14nm architecture

1 minute ago, Archer20 said:

You will be fine for a long while then.

Thanks again (yea I need it a maximum of 3-4 years with a just a few tweaks like RAM or mouse)

23 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

@Prathamesh232 if you are worried about the future, buy an AMD processor. Ryzen has a legitimate upgrade path to the 4000 series this semester, which will allow you to upgrade, but that motherboard will only allow you to upgrade to a 9900k at most.

Yeaaa you are right.....but maybe I can buy 9700k now and wait for 7 nm chips as we will require a mobo upgrade there and I am short on time too..

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Radeon and Ryzen is a completely separate parts.

You can use AMD cpu with Nvidia or Intel with Radeon, doesn't matter.

Yes I am aware of that ,just wanted to put both cpu and gpu upgrades in one text