What disk reader do I buy? going nuts

Windows95

I haven't built a computer in 10 years, and now, im wondering what are people using these days? I have an old ass DVD RW by LG, so I want something newer. What's cool these days? I see bluray gets used.

I would like something so I can burn movies and play them on a 3D TV. What unit will do just that? there are too many options so I don't get it.

Just now, Viper9 said:

No optical drive is what's cool these days!

disagree, my fraktal r6 will look better with a nice drive

why it seems they don't make UHD units? you have to manually flash them bluray drives otherwise they will not playback 4k...... wtf is the deal here

Post people aren't even using disk anymore as far as I know. They have been running things off of digital or streaming. Though if you are going to get a bluray I think you can really go with whatever. As long as it supports the highest capacity disks. 

Physical media is kinda going the way of the dodo as far as CD and stuff goes. I cannot remember the last time I bought a bluray or DVD. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

I was using a pretty ancient disk reader before I got my current blu ray reader, which is still fairly old. there's not really a "new" kind of 5.25" drive reader, because they've largely been phased out with USB being far more popular. TBH anything cheap from eBay is what I'd go for, as any SATA disk reader will provide the same experience.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Windows95 said:

why it seems they don't make UHD units? you have to manually flash them bluray drives otherwise they will not playback 4k...... wtf is the deal here

Because optical media is almost dead now, since you can stream 4K. 

1 minute ago, Viper9 said:

Because optical media is almost dead now, since you can stream 4K. 

if  I "buy a movie" and i want to watch it on a 3d screen then having a writer would help

I want help with this:

2 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

Get a new player that supports usb drive. Burning blurays takes forever.

Optical drive is dead, it helps clearing the space inside your case by not using one.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

if  I "buy a movie" and i want to watch it on a 3d screen then having a writer would help

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/library/3d-titles-on-netflix/

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

fuck netflix mate

Optical drive is dead.

3D TV is dead.

Get over it.

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Optical drive is dead.

3D TV is dead.

Get over it.

if im on my holidays house i dont have a massive bandwhit to stream 4k. not everyone has bandwith 24/7. not an argument

Blu-Ray, since you wont listen to anyone else.  In fact Id personally recommend a good USB stick over an ODD of any sort.

Just note, Windows 10 does not come with any software that allows you to play DVD's or Blu-Rays.  So after you purchase an expensive, dying out, blu ray drive (you can get decent deals I paid $36 shipped last year for a Hitachi) you then have to purchase $80 or so worth of software....just to use that Optical Drive.

So in the end, after I purchased a Blu-Ray Drive (cause I wanted one, only reason I did it) and then decided to use VLC, and a Chinese program that gave me the keys to unlock discs so I didn't have to buy the software, I decided there is zero need for one of these, so I download videos to a HDD in case these...occurrences happen (no internet) because the actual freeware support for Blu Ray was...atrocious.  

Good luck!

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

You can predownload movies in most streaming platform if that's your concern.

Also your money better spent on getting a new smart tv player like android tv or roku.

They support running 3d files from usb drives.

8 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Blu-Ray, since you wont listen to anyone else.  In fact Id personally recommend a good USB stick over an ODD of any sort.

Just note, Windows 10 does not come with any software that allows you to play DVD's or Blu-Rays.  So after you purchase an expensive, dying out, blu ray drive (you can get decent deals I paid $36 shipped last year for a Hitachi) you then have to purchase $80 or so worth of software....just to use that Optical Drive.

So in the end, after I purchased a Blu-Ray Drive (cause I wanted one, only reason I did it) and then decided to use VLC, and a Chinese program that gave me the keys to unlock discs so I didn't have to buy the software, I decided there is zero need for one of these, so I download videos to a HDD in case these...occurrences happen (no internet) because the actual freeware support for Blu Ray was...atrocious.  

Good luck!

so there's no way to play the stuff without propietary software? well. i think i now understand the difference between these 2 units:

https://www.asus.com/Optical-Drives-Storage/BW16D1HT/overview/

https://www.asus.com/Optical-Drives-Storage/BW16D1HT_PRO/overview/

i think they are the same unity but they charge you extra 50€ for the software licenses... pretty lame

but i still want a odd drive. sometimes I may use it. for instance, for troubleshooting, i like to use tails live DVD, because I trust this more than USB. one time the USB files got corrupted. a DVD is read only . also i have a big collection of old games. sometimes i forgot i had a game, or i forgot i had a dvd with stuff i forgot to put on a hard drive... it can be useful sometimes imo. since the r6 case has a slot why not populate it anyway.

also, mdisk can be useful if you want to save something for 1000 years..

7 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

-snip-

also, mdisk can be useful if you want to save something for 1000 years..

I see you trust the marketing from a product page more than the answers you've solicited.  

You're gonna have a bad time if you're hoping for a good experience with blu ray drives, but it appears you're starting to see that.  If you're dead set on a getting a drive then I'd recommend something external.  They're pretty small and you'll likely find yourself in need of something portable if you plan to read optical discs on different computers.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

3 minutes ago, nick name said:

I see you trust the marketing from a product page more than the answers you've solicited.  

You're gonna have a bad time if you're hoping for a good experience with blu ray drives, but it appears you're starting to see that.  If you're dead set on a getting a drive then I'd recommend something external.  They're pretty small and you'll likely find yourself in need of something portable if you plan to read optical discs on different computers.  

see post above

why does it require 2 usb ports? wtf

what if I need to read an external HDD and at the same time use this drive in a laptop? I would run out of usb ports

2 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

see post above

Fam, I quoted the post you're referring to.  

I'd trust that ASUS drive you've found and the price isn't terrible.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Just now, Windows95 said:

why does it require 2 usb ports? wtf

what if I need to read an external HDD and at the same time use this drive in a laptop? I would run out of usb ports

Probably for power.

Just now, nick name said:

Probably for power.

well, this is a problem

Note what software bundles you are getting, just because it lets you use DVDs doesn't mean it will let you use Blu-Rays.  They also don't provide support once purchased, I.E. if stuff changes the software is null and you have to get more software.  You can TRY VLC or the Chinese program ( cant remember off top of my head, can find it on my media center tonight when I get home) but either way, note below:

For yourself and everyone in this thread.

YOU HAVE TO RETRIEVE A KEY ONLINE TO GET THROUGH BLU RAY DISC SECURITY.  You can bypass a few within the software but it limits how many and forces you to connect before it allows you to continue opening Blu Rays.

So either you are going to be burning media to use, or using discs that don't require an online connection - but Blu Rays, and DVDs (even) require this key code.

EDIT - and I will say, I did not get a single enjoyable media imaged (Blu Ray specifically) off VLC to be worth not just downloading to a USB drive as my "just in case" movies for my kids when the net goes down.

EDIT 2 - the way Blu Ray "players" work is they get a GENERIC key unlocker - and guess what - you cant play all Blu Rays on old Blu Ray players because the key is not valid with newer discs.  

Ive done a lot of soul searching on this topic after wasting money on buying a blu ray ODD cause I had to (inside I felt this way, real world it was a waste of time...but gave me all this wonderful knowledge)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

This post feels like 2010, just put your movies on a USB Stick or an external HDD and you're good to go. 

Who's buying movies and TV shows in 2020? You know you can download a movie with the Netflix app and then play it offline? 

3 minutes ago, Viper9 said:

This post feels like 2010, just put your movies on a USB Stick or an external HDD and you're good to go. 

Who's buying movies and TV shows in 2020? You know you can download a movie with the Netflix app and then play it offline? 

but what about the 5.25 bay on the fraktal R6? feels too empty without an ODD...

227229.e873409f8888116c5182040636a46347.