2 GPUs 2 Screens??

Discobald

Hi , so i have a GTX 1070 in my current build running both my 1080 displays at the moment. Also i have a GTX 1050ti currently collecting dust and im wondering if i can plug it in to run my second monitor just to take the load off my 1070. im not sure if this will work and im hoping someone can shed some light on this topic for me. im also looking to do some light streaming in the future and wondering if this will help??

So if this is actually possible, how do i get it done?

Current build

intel i7 8700 on a Asus TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING

Asus GTX 1070 Turbo

16GB Ram

3 minutes ago, Discobald said:

just to take the load off my 1070

It won't take any load off your 1070.

3 minutes ago, Discobald said:

im also looking to do some light streaming in the future and wondering if this will help??

No, it won't.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

The other display isn't taking any load. You'd be better off using the 1050 somewhere else or selling it

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Discobald said:

Hi , so i have a GTX 1070 in my current build running both my 1080 displays at the moment. Also i have a GTX 1050ti currently collecting dust and im wondering if i can plug it in to run my second monitor just to take the load off my 1070. im not sure if this will work and im hoping someone can shed some light on this topic for me. im also looking to do some light streaming in the future and wondering if this will help??

So if this is actually possible, how do i get it done?

If you're doing nothing on the second screen, there is no load for it on the GTX 1070 and also not improvement in adding another videocard.

For streaming it could be useful, so you can offload the encoding to the GTX 1050 Ti, but it's entirely the GTX 1070 can hold its own while gaming and encoding, since NVENC is pretty good.

I would not bother with it, since driver stuff can be a bit of a pain to setup properly.

P.S. keep in mind your PSU needs to be able to handle both videocards at the same time.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

waste of energy. 

just sell the 1050 and get something else like ssd or ram.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

For streaming it could be useful, so you can offload the encoding to the GTX 1050 Ti,

Actually, no, if you're using NVENC. There'd be a performance-drop in doing that, because the OS would have to move the frames to be encoded from GTX1070's VRAM into system RAM and then into the GTX1050's VRAM, whereas if you just simply do the encoding on the same GPU as you play, none of the frames have to leave the VRAM in the first place.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.