Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Windows95

how safe it is to run hdd's vertically?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

so i see that people run HDDs vertically now to I guess make more space for better airflow, however 2 concers i have:

 

1) since it has moving parts, gravity wouldn't damage the disks or something over time?

2) since the disks are sitting on the back, there is no airflow there, they are just trapped in a small space. isnt this bad?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

so i see that people run HDDs vertically now to I guess make more space for better airflow, however 2 concers i have:

 

1) since it has moving parts, gravity wouldn't damage the disks or something over time?

2) since the disks are sitting on the back, there is no airflow there, they are just trapped in a small space. isnt this bad?

Actually if you look at servers/NAS, most of them are in the vertical position. It's mostly desktops that have them horizontally.


Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you, I may not see your post otherwise.

Please use  https://www.dictionary.com/  if you don't know how to spell something with any confidence, to check.

 

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • AM4 1700 build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/paddy.stone/saved/XyXyXL
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/paddy.stone/saved/c4z9GX
  • Main Server - ASrock AB350M Pro 4 - AMD Athlon 200GE - 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM - 240GB Crucial M500 SSD Boot Drive, running Windows 10, plex server - 4x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf HDDs.
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocaphone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. no. many NAS system run HDD vertically. If there are downsides, the manufacturer would place big stickers so you put it the right way.

2. which case? it is recommended that hdd have enough ventilation, but they are not that hot to begin with, so don't worry about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

so i see that people run HDDs vertically now to I guess make more space for better airflow, however 2 concers i have:

 

1) since it has moving parts, gravity wouldn't damage the disks or something over time?

2) since the disks are sitting on the back, there is no airflow there, they are just trapped in a small space. isnt this bad?

I've mounted a few laptop/hybrid HDDs vertically in small form factor desktops and not had an issue, vertical mounting HDDs is very common. With SSDs it doesn't matter at all how you mount it but HDDs are more sensitive. Usually if it's vertical or horizontal it doesn't matter but you want it secure and stable, not free floating or able to move around a lot even something like a bump or jostle of the drive while it is spinning/operational can cause an issue.


Main Desktop: Cpu - I9-9900k @5ghz | Mobo - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Gpu - Asus ROG STRIX 2080ti OC Ram - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200mhz | Aio - H100i Pro RGB | Psu - Evga 850 G3 | Case - Fractal Design Meshify C White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 1x 1TB 1x 512GB / 1x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 4TB HDD |

 

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10+ - Ceramic White 512GB |

 

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at almost every external HDD for sale and I think you'll see that almost all are oriented vertically.  


AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/3 Corsair SP120L and 3 Noctua NF-F12 3000 fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-15-14-14-30  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

1. no. many NAS system run HDD vertically. If there are downsides, the manufacturer would place big stickers so you put it the right way.

2. which case? it is recommended that hdd have enough ventilation, but they are not that hot to begin with, so don't worry about it.

define r6

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a vertical drive in my system and it's fine.


Main Rig: Custom Built: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G @ 3.6Ghz, 2x8GB Kingston Valueram @ 2666Mhz, Radeon Vega 8, Gigabyte A320M-S2H, Kingston 120Gb M.2 SSD,WD Blue 2.5 Inch 1tb HDD,Cooler Master MWE450, Aerocool CS-100

Laptop: HP ProBook X360 G1 EE: Pentium N4200 @ 1.1Ghz, 4Gb DDR3 1600Mhz 128Gb SSD
NAS Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010: Dual core Celeron G1610 @ 2.6Ghz 4GB DDR3 Ram, 500GB Single HDD

Mothballed Optiplex: Dual core Celeron G1810, 4Gb Ram, 250Gb HDD

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, nick name said:

Look at almost every external HDD for sale and I think you'll see that almost all are oriented vertically.  

but they arent trapped inside a box that generates warm

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

but they arent trapped inside a box that generates warm

While there aren't other components (beyond maybe a tiny PSU) the drives themselves generate heat.  

 

But I'm curious as to why you think the orientation of the drive is impacted by heat.  


AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/3 Corsair SP120L and 3 Noctua NF-F12 3000 fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-15-14-14-30  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

define r6

which side are you talking about.

if the bottom hdd rack, it's getting the air from the PSU fan.

For the ssd tray, ssd don't generate enough heat, so don't worry.

I thought you were talking about an ITX case, that case is not that small.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, nick name said:

While there aren't other components (beyond maybe a tiny PSU) the drives themselves generate heat.  

 

But I'm curious as to why you think the orientation of the drive is impacted by heat.  

well, if u mount them vertically, they are behind any airflow, trapped inside a tiny gap

 

hqdefault.jpg

 

if you mounth them horizontally, they are right next to a fan with space to breath

 

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=372

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

which side are you talking about.

if the bottom hdd rack, it's getting the air from the PSU fan.

For the ssd tray, ssd don't generate enough heat, so don't worry.

I thought you were talking about an ITX case, that case is not that small.

see post above

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×