Motherboard bottleneck?

Go to solution Solved by Margott247,

So yeah the motherboard's bios was not updated. The cpu was running at 800mhz, now it is fixed, running at 3.2ghz, and its running snappy.

Thanks though! and sorry for not realizing this was the problem quicker

Recently I got to upgrade a pc of my aunt, it was a pentium E2140 (2x1.6GHz). I got her an E8400 (2x3GHz) instead, and upgraded the ram from 1 to 4GB 800mhz.

It didnt get any better - and i thought this was because of some kind of limit. The motherboard only took a 20pin connector instead of the standard 24. 

When installing windows 10 (on a V300 ssd from kingston), loading up the installer took years. It is not the flash drive, as it doesnt do this on other pcs. This was also a usb 2.0 port.

The pc didnt get much faster. I blamed that on the 20pin.

Today however I got a free motherboard from my friend since i was looking for an am3 one, as the previous one i had, died. He offered me a am2/am2+/am3 mobo, that was running an athlon 64 x2 5600+.

I changed the cpu out for the Phenom X4 955, and got the same issue, the installer was loading for years.

Could this be a problem with the TDP? or both the motherboards just didnt have proper support for these cpus?

Thanks.

Our life is what our thoughts make it.

- Marcus Aurelius

8 minutes ago, Diverticz said:

Recently I got to upgrade a pc of my aunt, it was a pentium E2140 (2x1.6GHz). I got her an E8400 (2x3GHz) instead, and upgraded the ram from 1 to 4GB 800mhz.

It didnt get any better - and i thought this was because of some kind of limit. The motherboard only took a 20pin connector instead of the standard 24. 

When installing windows 10 (on a V300 ssd from kingston), loading up the installer took years. It is not the flash drive, as it doesnt do this on other pcs. This was also a usb 2.0 port.

Today however I got a free motherboard from my friend since i was looking for an am3 one, as the previous one i had, died. He offered me a am2/am2+/am3 mobo, that was running an athlon 64 x2 5600+.

I changed the cpu out for the Phenom X4 955, and got the same issue, the installer was loading for years.

Could this be a problem with the TDP? or both the motherboards just didnt have proper support for these cpus?

Thanks.

Those cpu's all just suck. A Phenom X6 1035T on a good board stock clocks gets 338 points on CBR15, which mind you performs very similar to an i3 4170, another very old chip with a third of the cores. Even today the i3 4130 would be considered low-end for just web browsing and watching youtube videos and what not, which is double the speed of an e8400. I've used one before in middleschool 3-4 years back, they are truely awful and could barely browse the web and play youtube videos at 480p. It buffered and dropped frames at 720p.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

13 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Those cpu's all just suck. A Phenom X6 1035T on a good board stock clocks gets 338 points on CBR15, which mind you performs very similar to an i3 4170, another very old chip with a third of the cores. Even today the i3 4130 would be considered low-end for just web browsing and watching youtube videos and what not, which is double the speed of an e8400. I've used one before in middleschool 3-4 years back, they are truely awful and could barely browse the web and play youtube videos at 480p. It buffered and dropped frames at 720p.

I must agree, but I live in a third world country, where these are still considered usable, not in the US when you can actually get the Athlon 3000G for under $50 :C

- Marcus Aurelius

1 minute ago, Diverticz said:

I must agree, but I live in a third world country, where these are still considered usable, not in the US when you can actually get the Athlon 3000G for under $50 :C

If the motherboard supports it and prices are low enough, I'd try to get a c2q 9550 or something. It's super unlikey to be the motherboard, if it were, voltages and clocks would be much lower than usual due to the possibility of VRM's not supplying enough power, which is unlikely.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, Diverticz said:

Neither of what you mentioned would be the issue

When installing windows 10 (on a V300 ssd from kingston), loading up the installer took years. It is not the flash drive, as it doesnt do this on other pcs.

What do you mean by loading the installer? are you booting to the USB? or are you trying to install Windows inside Windows?

If you are booting to a USB, at what point does the installer get stuck? while installing Windows? or before even getting to the main screen.

24 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

I have an A8-6600K that is very similar to the X4 955 and it performs great in Windows 10, I've been using it for 5+ years before finally upgrading, it isn't a great CPU but it had no problems at all handling browsing and day to day usage, I have never gotten any dropped frames even at 4K mainly because playback was done on hardware GPU decoding, and overall the system was snappy with an SSD.

Though I agree it is almost bare minimum for a good user experience, and the E8400 just makes things worse.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

I'd try to get a c2q 9550 or something.

The X4 955 is actually faster than the Q9550 

1 minute ago, _Syn_ said:

The X4 955 is actually faster than the Q9550 

Trying to give him options assuming he wants to use the original stuff for the most part.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Trying to give him options assuming he wants to use the original stuff for the most part.

Ah, in that case the Q9550 is a great cheap option if he wants to use both PCs, it's 24$ on ebay

Though there's bit better options depending on which board he has

That cpu is more than enough for browsing. I am using a 10 year old laptop atm with 8 tabs open with youtube playing on one. And one seperate chrome is open as well. Are you judging the improvement just by how long windows installer takes thats the question.  

1 hour ago, _Syn_ said:

Neither of what you mentioned would be the issue

What do you mean by loading the installer? are you booting to the USB? or are you trying to install Windows inside Windows?

If you are booting to a USB, at what point does the installer get stuck? while installing Windows? or before even getting to the main screen.

I have an A8-6600K that is very similar to the X4 955 and it performs great in Windows 10, I've been using it for 5+ years before finally upgrading, it isn't a great CPU but it had no problems at all handling browsing and day to day usage, I have never gotten any dropped frames even at 4K mainly because playback was done on hardware GPU decoding, and overall the system was snappy with an SSD.

Though I agree it is almost bare minimum for a good user experience, and the E8400 just makes things worse.

It does that when the setup is "loading files", and yes, its booted from a usb

15819600970148878217004096339234.jpg

- Marcus Aurelius

40 minutes ago, lafrente said:

That cpu is more than enough for browsing. I am using a 10 year old laptop atm with 8 tabs open with youtube playing on one. And one seperate chrome is open as well. Are you judging the improvement just by how long windows installer takes thats the question.  

no, but the difference isnt noticable while browsing internet and the files

- Marcus Aurelius

26 minutes ago, Diverticz said:

It does that when the setup is "loading files", and yes, its booted from a usb

Hmm I have never seen Windows 10 show a "loading files" screen..

How did you put Windows 10 on the USB? which motherboard are you using for the X4 955?

20 hours ago, Diverticz said:

Thanks.

The new CPU you put is still a 10+ year old dualcore, so that upgrade wouldn't have made much of a difference, and generally this kind of hardware isn't worth your time anyway.

3 hours ago, ZzLy said:

The new CPU you put is still a 10+ year old dualcore, so that upgrade wouldn't have made much of a difference, and generally this kind of hardware isn't worth your time anyway.

its not like 10 year old cpu is 10 year old car. it still works as it was 10 years ago and they are way more than enough for browsing. In fact even for photoshop, 720p video editing etc. Even today ultra low power laptops are sold that are pretty much equal with these cpus. You don't think anyone would get a laptop that can't browse now do you? 

So yeah the motherboard's bios was not updated. The cpu was running at 800mhz, now it is fixed, running at 3.2ghz, and its running snappy.

Thanks though! and sorry for not realizing this was the problem quicker

- Marcus Aurelius

On 2/18/2020 at 5:06 PM, lafrente said:

its not like 10 year old cpu is 10 year old car. it still works as it was 10 years ago and they are way more than enough for browsing. In fact even for photoshop, 720p video editing etc. Even today ultra low power laptops are sold that are pretty much equal with these cpus. You don't think anyone would get a laptop that can't browse now do you? 

Those new laptops have quadcore celerons. Those old pentiums / core2duo's have two cores with no hyperthreading, not to mention that they use ddr2.

On 2/20/2020 at 7:42 PM, ZzLy said:

Those new laptops have quadcore celerons. Those old pentiums / core2duo's have two cores with no hyperthreading, not to mention that they use ddr2.

Some of them also use dualcore celerons. Such as the N4000, which performs worse than the E8400. The N4100 - quadcore - performs just as well as the e8400, while it has more cores.

- Marcus Aurelius

On 2/23/2020 at 12:01 PM, Diverticz said:

Some of them also use dualcore celerons. Such as the N4000, which performs worse than the E8400. The N4100 - quadcore - performs just as well as the e8400, while it has more cores.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that it performs well in 2020. There's a reason for why those laptops are sold for 250$ new.

On 2/25/2020 at 4:25 PM, ZzLy said:

Yes, but that doesn't mean that it performs well in 2020. There's a reason for why those laptops are sold for 250$ new.

And $400 new in my country. Thats why I build those old pcs.

- Marcus Aurelius