Synology Vs FeeNAS

im thinking of upgrading my NAS situation currently i have an old synology. but since my NAS will be used for private as well as business what would be best upgrade to a new Synology or use modern PC parts i have and use FreeNAS all files need to be accessed remotely from anywhere. what would you guys suggest doing 

I can't say one is better than the other besides the appeal of ZFS which I imagine would have better feature than the file system Synology implements.

What I imagine both support are Remote access, Snapshots (or some equivalent), Compression, Replication, among other things.

So unless you have a real need for functions or features that go beyond what Synology offers I'd say you can go either route. It's up to preference. If you want mine, of the two, I'd use FreeNAS.

In my opinion it really depends on how important this NAS is. If it's for business and you don't already have experience with setting up FreeNAS and servers in general, I'd suggest going with a new Synology. They're expensive considering the hardware that you're getting, but in my personal experience the hassle-free software (and migration from the old Synology NAS) is totally worth it.

If it's not that important and you're willing to spend some time getting things to work properly, a self-built solution will of course be more cost-efficient and depending on what you want to do (virtualization, ...) more performant.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

thank you guys for the input much appreciated think right now i might stick with synology mainly due to the fact of making it easier to transfer files