I need Ideas for Organizing Windows 7 files

Cargamer1346

Choose one  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one

• Have Windows 10 That looks like windows 7
    • Have Windows 7 That looks like windows 10

So my Computer had Only 604 MB free of 9 GB, I Think That I need To clean Windows... Lol, I need Ideas to Organize Windows. 

yes.jpg

3 minutes ago, Cargamer1346 said:

So my Computer had Only 604 MB free of 9 GB, I Think That I need To clean Windows... Lol, I need Ideas to Organize Windows. 

yes.jpg

Hello,

How do you fit Windows on such a small disk ?

You need a bigger SSD that's all.

I don't know how I fit it on a small disk, tho i also have a 32GB SD in my desktop also I store programs and files on that.

If that's windows 7 ...

check show hidden files or folders or even better, install total commander and check show hidden and system files in its options and use that instead.

In windows, you have the Installer folder, which is hidden by default.

You have there MSI and MSP files which are basically copies of the installers for various programs. They're copied there so that you'd be able to use Add/Remove features and Uninstall for programs.

If you don't plan to uninstall or add options you can delete those files.  For ex you have Office and you want to add Powerpoint then you'd need to have the office msi files there otherwise you have to get the dvd or whatever and launch setup and go from there).

If you delete them, you won't be able to use uninstall or add/remove. Alternatively, you can move them to another drive and move back the file as needed. You can right click on a MSI or MSP files and you should see in Details tab, what program is it for.

Another trick you can do is to enable real time compression on some folders, which works if your file system is NTFS (default on Windows).

For example, you should have a folder called Assembly inside Windows, which holds .Net runtimes, multiple versions of .net ... it can be up to 1 GB of DLL files. These files are only used when you launch .Net programs and only a subset of them will be often used.

You can right click on the folder, select Properties, then Advanced and check "Compress contents to save disk space"

The file system will use a real time lossless compression to compress the data up to 50% of the original size, but it's not guaranteed you'll get it close to 50%, it depends on the files.

If you hit Apply to compress that folder, you may get some warnings or errors because Windows can not actively compress some files while in use by running programs, but you can hit ignore and skip compressing those particular files. If you want to be thorough, you can go in safe mode and enable compression on folder there.

There's no downside to enabling compression on folders, worst case scenario, a .net application will load half a second or a second slower than normal the first time you launch it, after that the uncompressed files will basically be cached in ram.

In my own case, the assembly folder got compressed from around 2 GB (1.88 GB actual size, but 2 GB used on drive due to so many very small files) to 1.28 GB

image.png.d3e479c6bd40772466bade9897afe8b2.png

You may or may not have a folder called Microsoft.NET inside WIndows, which is the same .net runtime as  in assembly you can also enable compression on it.

There's other folders you could compress but the savings are very small, in the hundreds of MB .. ex Inf, Fonts, etc sometimes not worth bothering with it.

Also start > run > disk cleanup and right click on it and select run as administrator (running as administrator enables more options and a more thorough scan)

Also check in C:\ Users \ [user name ] \ .... you have there downloads, various saved games from various games, crap left from applications etc

ok i inserted my old 2  tb harddrive with windows Vista pro 64bit I need help setting it up tho