Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KENBAL420

COUGAR MX330 CASE MODDING

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, so i want to mod my case but i'm looking for ideas on this specific case stated in the title and i can't find any info. Has anyone ever modded this case and posted it online, If you maybe did or know someone please send me some pictures please 

I BEG OF YOU XD

cougar-mx330-windowed-atx-mid-tower-gaming-case-1000px-v1-0010.jpg

CPU: i5 4670k @4.1ghz | GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB | MB: Gigabyte Z97P-D3H | RAM: 4x4GB Generic | SSD: Gigabyte 240GB  

PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 650 watt | Case: Cougar MX330G

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have the 330G

CPU: i5 4670k @4.1ghz | GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB | MB: Gigabyte Z97P-D3H | RAM: 4x4GB Generic | SSD: Gigabyte 240GB  

I don’t have the case but this interested me so I took a look about.  I can tell you what I see from pics.  Limited value if any, but it’s what I got.  So, thoughts:

there are apparently two versions.  The mx330 with acrylic side panel, and the mx330-x with metal side side panel.

newegg is short on pics but amazon is not.  It looks like a really good value case from here.

it looks like it has decent airflow. There is room under the PSU shroud for a couple 3.5” disks.  I can’t tell if there is a filter for the top air vents or not.

its got two fan spaces up top, and a bit more than 2 in front.  The front has a bit more than 2 fan spaces in front of the 5.25” top bay is not used.  Hard to tell how many.  It’s also hard to tell how impeded the front airflow is.  It looks really good from the pics, but it’s hard to see if this is actually the case or merely looks like it might be the case.  If space can be made for a 3 fan radiator in front that could be interesting.  Would need to be measured.

The mx330-x has a lot of unfiltered side panel venting but I can’t tell if there are actually any fan mount holes or not.

One thing that interests me is the concept of side air.  It’s kind of a pain to use because of wires for the fan going to the side panel but they’re really good for GPU air cooling.

window version, the mx330 has an acrylic side window rather than glass.  This is often considered a downside but there is one upside: acrylic can be cut.  One could cut a 120mm circle in the plastic side panel for a GPU fan.  Cutting clean round holes in acrylic is hard.  It would need a sharp hole saw, ideally with plastic cutting teeth of the appropriate size to keep it round, or a square fan hole with some kind of finish plate for fan mounting and to clean up the hole.

The metal side panel has a big long vented space but may not have any actual fan holes.  Also no filter.

Im kinda liking this case.  It’s got potentially really great airflow for a cheap case.

Mods I could see possibly being helpful:

getting some fan mount holes and maybe filtering on the on the metal side panel, or a fan hole and again maybe filtering on the acrylic one. 
If the front air imprudence is low and there isn’t quite enough room for a three fan front mount with the PSU shroud, maybe removing some of the PSU shroud in front might make enough space to do that.  A 3 fan and a 2 fan radiator mount would make for a whole heckua lot of radiator space in a small case under $100.  Pull the 3.5” rack and there would maybe be space for a custom loop pump under the shroud.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

18 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t have the case but this interested me so I took a look about.  I can tell you what I see from pics.  Limited value if any, but it’s what I got.  So, thoughts:

there are apparently two versions.  The mx330 with acrylic side panel, and the mx330-x with metal side side panel.

newegg is short on pics but amazon is not.  It looks like a really good value case from here.

it looks like it has decent airflow. There is room under the PSU shroud for a couple 3.5” disks.  I can’t tell if there is a filter for the top air vents or not.

its got two fan spaces up top, and a bit more than 2 in front.  The front has a bit more than 2 fan spaces in front of the 5.25” top bay is not used.  Hard to tell how many.  It’s also hard to tell how impeded the front airflow is.  It looks really good from the pics, but it’s hard to see if this is actually the case or merely looks like it might be the case.  If space can be made for a 3 fan radiator in front that could be interesting.  Would need to be measured.

The mx330-x has a lot of unfiltered side panel venting but I can’t tell if there are actually any fan mount holes or not.

One thing that interests me is the concept of side air.  It’s kind of a pain to use because of wires for the fan going to the side panel but they’re really good for GPU air cooling.

window version, the mx330 has an acrylic side window rather than glass.  This is often considered a downside but there is one upside: acrylic can be cut.  One could cut a 120mm circle in the plastic side panel for a GPU fan.  Cutting clean round holes in acrylic is hard.  It would need a sharp hole saw, ideally with plastic cutting teeth of the appropriate size to keep it round, or a square fan hole with some kind of finish plate for fan mounting and to clean up the hole.

The metal side panel has a big long vented space but may not have any actual fan holes.  Also no filter.

Im kinda liking this case.  It’s got potentially really great airflow for a cheap case.

Mods I could see possibly being helpful:

getting some fan mount holes and maybe filtering on the on the metal side panel, or a fan hole and again maybe filtering on the acrylic one. 
If the front air imprudence is low and there isn’t quite enough room for a three fan front mount with the PSU shroud, maybe removing some of the PSU shroud in front might make enough space to do that.  A 3 fan and a 2 fan radiator mount would make for a whole heckua lot of radiator space in a small case under $100.  Pull the 3.5” rack and there would maybe be space for a custom loop pump under the shroud.

I have the MX330G so it has a glass side panel only downside is the thumb screws they use, big enough but doesn't have a lot of height so there's always finger print marks at the thumbscrews but that isn't really an issue because i barely open the case up.

The mods i'm interested in is actually like giving the case inside a more white colour rather than black because everything is black and looking plain. I also want to make my own DIY cable management bar with perspex because there is no rubber grommets at the cable routing holes which in my opinion doesn't look very nice. i also want to increase space to add two more 3.5HDDS and i want to move my SSD's from the back of my motherboard tray to the front on top of my PSU shroud. There is no need to add extra holes or so for better airflow because the airflow is already great so i don't have any issues there and there is dust filters on the front, top and at the PSU but they aren't very dense so alot of dust still gets in so i'll need to improve that in a way and i heard panty hose works good for that so i'll give that a try, for the price i paid this case is the best budget case i had so far.

A 3rd fan can be added and i already tested that theory out. What i really want is to see how people modified this specific case but yeah as you can see there isn't any info available on that so yeah.

Edited by KENBAL420