Power Supply Bottleneck

Juiecey

Howdy!

I just recently got back into GTAV and found that I get insane texture loss. After closing inspection, it seems that my power usage is insanely high label "very high" on task manager in red. Meanwhile, my CPU, GPU and ram usage seem to only be at 30% - 45%. Even in programs like discord and very low demanding games like CSGO it is occurring. I was wondering if it is indeed a power supply bottleneck although using power usage calculator, my pc only pulls about 315 watts on my 400w power supply. Specs are below. Thanks for any suggestions and help given! 

Case - Thermaltake v200 TG RGB
Mobo - GIGABYTE A320M - S2H (Socket AM4)
CPU - Ryzen 5 1600
GPU - GTX 1050 Ti FTW Edition
Ram - Corsair LPX DDR4 2x8GB at 3000MHz
HDD - Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200rpm
SSD - PNY 240GB SSD
Power Supply - EVGA 400W 80+ Bronze

2 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

It's not bottlenecking, it's just not running efficiently given the load you're throwing at it. Those PSU calculators aren't that accurate either given real world usage. I do agree though that 400 watts isn't much and you should definitely upgrade that to a 500 watt unit or higher

Gotcha. This couldn't lead to damage to any of my parts, correct?

13 minutes ago, Juiecey said:

I just recently got back into GTAV and found that I get insane texture loss. After closing inspection, it seems that my power usage is insanely high label "very high" on task manager in red. Meanwhile, my CPU, GPU and ram usage seem to only be at 30% - 45%. Even in programs like discord and very low demanding games like CSGO it is occurring. I was wondering if it is indeed a power supply bottleneck although using power usage calculator, my pc only pulls about 315 watts on my 400w power supply.

No. That's not how power supplies work and that's not what Task Manager is telling you.

When your graphics card is under load it will show up in Task Manager as high power usage. This is irrelevant of what power supply you have. You could have a 1000W power supply and Task Manager will still show the GPU as being high power usage during games.

Your power supply can't bottleneck other components. If your power supply cannot provide enough power it will shut down.

Case - Thermaltake v200 TG RGB
Mobo - GIGABYTE A320M - S2H (Socket AM4)
CPU - Ryzen 5 1600
GPU - GTX 1050 Ti FTW Edition
Ram - Corsair LPX DDR4 2x8GB at 3000MHz
HDD - Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200rpm
SSD - PNY 240GB SSD

This system will draw less than 200W under load. Ignore what power supply calculators tell you, they're wrong. They make money by recommending power supplies for people to buy so they lie about how much power you actually need to convince people to buy more expensive, higher wattage power supplies.

I don't think EVGA has any 400W 80+ Bronze power supplies. I believe all of their 80+ Bronze units start at at least 450W. Though they do have 63 models so who knows.

If it's the EVGA N1 400W then it should be replaced, not because it's not enough wattage but because that's a garbage power supply that EVGA shouldn't be selling.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Your Ryzen 1600 consumes under 100 watts.

The GTX 1050 ti consumes under 75w

The rest of your system consumes less than 50 watts, so in total you're looking at less than 250 watts of power consumption.

Your power supply is fine.

The operating system and the computer in general has no way of knowing if the power supply is "overloaded". There's no standard or way for the power supply to communicate how much power it's giving to components and how much it can offer in total.

Also, there's no standard to tell your operating system how much each component consumes. There are some sensors in various locations, especially video cards tend to have more sensors and report more information but that's not necessarily accurate (for example they may report how much power the main chip consumes and how much power the memory chips consume but there's other things on the video card which may consume power but they're not included in those numbers)

An overloaded power supply would just shut down or break down. It's either on or off, there's no in-between, components either get the full power they need or the power supply turns off.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

No. That's not how power supplies work and that's not what Task Manager is telling you.

When your graphics card is under load it will show up in Task Manager as high power usage. This is irrelevant of what power supply you have. You could have a 1000W power supply and Task Manager will still show the GPU as being high power usage during games.

Your power supply can't bottleneck other components. If your power supply cannot provide enough power it will shut down.

This system will draw less than 200W under load. Ignore what power supply calculators tell you, they're wrong. They make money by recommending power supplies for people to buy so they lie about how much power you actually need to convince people to buy more expensive, higher wattage power supplies.

I don't think EVGA has any 400W 80+ Bronze power supplies. I believe all of their 80+ Bronze units start at at least 450W. Though they do have 63 models so who knows.

If it's the EVGA N1 400W then it should be replaced, not because it's not enough wattage but because that's a garbage power supply that EVGA shouldn't be selling.

I am almost certain it is the EVGA N1 400W. What PSU do you recommend for a replacement?

1 hour ago, Juiecey said:

I am almost certain it is the EVGA N1 400W. What PSU do you recommend for a replacement?

what would your country and budget be?