Quantum Cascade LASER tech promises drastically increased data transmission speeds

New laser technology promises a future of fiber optic speeds thousands of times what they are now. Using "Terahertz Quantum Cascade LASERs" and a new modulation method data throughput could theoretically improve dramatically in coming years. These lasers have been around for a while but were limited to more theoretical or scientific use with the limits assumed on the application of their beams. It was just too difficult to work them to the same level as far lower frequency lasers.

The specific kind of lasers are different because they send out light in the terahertz range of the electromagnetic spectrum, which is largely used to analyse chemicals. But by turning them to use to send data, they could provide much faster connections for research facilities, hospitals, satellite communications or any other situations where very fast network connections are required.

Apparently most of the fuss is over the new method of modulation. Terahertz is a very tough frequency range to modulate for communication. but a new method has allowed them to verifiably and consistently modulate and pulse the lasers in a way that will allow vastly accelerated transmission of coherent data. Which could theoretically allow super fast long distance trunk lines.

ABSTRACT:

The fast modulation of lasers is a fundamental requirement for applications in optical communications, high-resolution spectroscopy and metrology. In the terahertz-frequency range, the quantum-cascade laser (QCL) is a high-power source with the potential for high-frequency modulation. However, conventional electronic modulation is limited fundamentally by parasitic device impedance, and so alternative physical processes must be exploited to modulate the QCL gain on ultrafast timescales. Here, we demonstrate an alternative mechanism to modulate the emission from a QCL device, whereby optically-generated acoustic phonon pulses are used to perturb the QCL bandstructure, enabling fast amplitude modulation that can be controlled using the QCL drive current or strain pulse amplitude, to a maximum modulation depth of 6% in our experiment. We show that this modulation can be explained using perturbation theory analysis. While the modulation rise-time was limited to ~800 ps by our measurement system, theoretical considerations suggest considerably faster modulation could be possible.

I would like to see more work done on this, super high frequency EM radiation has so many theoretical uses I really wanna see practical and commodity uses for these advanced technologies

Meanwhile people who live in more remote areas (like me) will be stuck with the same ISP, the same shitty speeds, and shite service all because no one else dare lay line out this far or underground.

I still don't get why they stopped with microwave. We had it here for a while, super fast, super long range.

Not really useful for consumer internet though.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Amazing approach to much faster speeds. Fun to get insight into it early on. Now would be great to see fiber infrastructure be ubiquitous actually. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

10 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Do you mean fiber with microwaves or microwaves in the air? The later requires licensed bands or crowded unlicensed bands (which affect the QoS). That's why cables are magic: you basically get "infinite" spectrum for "free".

Except you have to run cable. Microwave was beamed. Apparently its still used for cellular towers and such as backhaul. really interesting home internet option though

8 hours ago, williamcll said:

Not really useful for consumer internet though.

Currently. This could completely change how the backhaul is handled. Better backhaul means better service for us plebs

13 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Meanwhile people who live in more remote areas (like me) will be stuck with the same ISP, the same shitty speeds, and shite service all because no one else dare lay line out this far or underground.

That because it cost toooooo much money to do so. The ISP expects a ROI in a reasonable amount of time. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

15 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Honestly I wouldn't be too concerned about Fiber... Last mile fixed wireless is pretty damn good these days. I've got a antenna on my place, a relay on top of a hill (using solar, a battery, inverter, and Ubiquiti gear), and an antenna on my parents place and I'm reliably getting 300-400mbps over 10 miles. 

They used to be able to only get ADSL2 and speeds were poor because it was a rural village exchange which got congested at 5pm. Since then they get VDSL2+ with 60+ mbps speeds so it's really no longer needed, but the wireless solution is still faster with my gigabit fiber. It's also kind of fun having an off-site backup.