I have a question about a multi gpu setup without crossfire or sli

ViciousViper175

It's possible, but a hassle in terms of videocard drivers.

Why do you want to do that though..? And is using iGPU not an option?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, ViciousViper175 said:

i was thinking of doing it to reduce stress on my 2080 ti

secondary monitors don't stress graphics cards

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

ok thanks

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

It's possible, but a hassle in terms of videocard drivers.

Why do you want to do that though..? And is using iGPU not an option?

i have a ryzen 7 2700x so integrated graphics dont exist

13 minutes ago, ViciousViper175 said:

Can you use one card for gaming and another card separately for normal desktop usage?

Technically yes. Practically No.

For Geforce and Radeon parts, you can only use parts from the same GPU family. So if nVidia has discontinued support for one card, and you update the drivers, suddenly that older card stops working because it has removed the older driver. You can however have an AMD and an nVidia card in the same machine, or use the Intel iGPU independently.

With that said, many programs utterly have no idea how to tell which GPU to use or identify which GPU is more capable. So for most software it will only use the Primary GPU for everything, and if you run a second screen on the second GPU, it's treated as an independent display (yes you can drag a game from the highend GPU to the low end GPU and it will maintain 90% of it's frame rate) while the rendering is still done on the GPU it was started on. This only changes when you start telling the Task manager in Windows which GPU it is to run on. In which case it will actually delegate the GPU render resources for that program to that card every time it runs as long as that GPU is available.

In laptops, the "switchable" graphics mode is basically why any of this works at all. When you unplug the laptop from the wall, the laptop lowers the clock speed on the dedicated GPU, and any new task opened opens on the iGPU. So the assumption is that you've stopped using the software that needs the dedicated GPU when on battery.

For all practical uses, the iGPU is never used on a system that has a dedicated GPU, and even in situations like Intel CPU's, which all the desktop models have the iGPU, the iGPU is so utterly worthless garbage that it's only worth having enabled for the video decoder part, so you can multiplex OpenCL or Quicksync with the dedicated GPU doing the other half. (eg quicksync to decode a stream and nVidia nvenc to do the encode) 

If you hang a monitor off the iGPU while you have a dedicated GPU, then the system is still rendering on the primary GPU unless you've explicitly configured that program to use that GPU or you start that program on that screen. I've run into this a few times at the office where people who have moved their system plug the monitors into the iGPU instead of the dGPU and they complain that everything is slow now. Yes, because the OS thinks you want to use the iGPU as the primary.

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

This not accurate, and requires a large disclaimer, depending on use case.

If I'm gaming on my secondary monitor, I promise you it absolutely stresses the graphics card.

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

30 minutes ago, Purgent said:

This not accurate, and requires a large disclaimer, depending on use case.

If I'm gaming on my secondary monitor, I promise you it absolutely stresses the graphics card.

Here's the asterisk:

*Anything that's not gaming or 3D modelling does not stress the GPU on a second monitor

Obviously OP isn't asking about dual monitor setups, or else a second monitor to game on wouldn't require a different GPU. Aside from the fact that SLI doesn't allow for use with the secondary ports anyways, I just assumed OP was talking about YouTube on the secondary monitor, hence it doesn't stress the GPU.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

thanks for all the help and i wasn't going to game on both so if having another separate GPU is unnecessary for desktop work i wont get one unless i need end up needing another for video rendering which i probably won't since the 2080 ti will probably handle it like a champ.

on another note, is it worth getting a quadro k4000 or a 1650 super as a physics card?

5 hours ago, ViciousViper175 said:

on another note, is it worth getting a quadro k4000 or a 1650 super as a physics card?

Nope, to not be a bottleneck the physics card needs to be nearly as fast as your main GPU. Which is not worth it...

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace