[Solved] HALP, catastrophe incoming!

Hi.

So far, I stacked a lot of stuff into a piece of furniture that was litterally a leftover extra unit of kitchen construction from the people who were living before where I live now.

And after 3years, it started to sloooooowly give up.

Spoiler

20200216_232033.thumb.jpg.6f76afbc323fa3d62b035106ceddf9c4.jpg

The side of it is, month after month, creeping away to the side, leaving the bottom plate.

This "thing" (with my pitiful attempt at "trying" to do something to at least be able to sleep last night and stress a little bit less) is actually where are:

-my two storage and virtualization server

-my fiber router

-my U4 workstation&maincomputer

and it's on top of it that are stored a screen, keyboard and KVM switch + loads of spare parts...

So, here I am... looking for a rack cabinet between 15 and 18U, deep enough to take in a R720, the cheapest possible that can be delievered in France/EU.

I'm quite sick of messaging every marketplace seller asking how deep of a server we can fit in their advertised "600mm deep" cabinet, and be told that the rails are so pushed back that only 45mm deep servers would fit, or that the back panel isn't removable, or only to be never answered.

And yeah, I know officially Dell wants 75cm of rack depth and stuff, but aint got that kind of money and this R720 is gonna sit on the bottom like a naughty boy on top of the UPS units.

I mean, if someone there knows which brand/place/vendor sells cheapo deep 15 to 18U rack cabinets with non-stellar shipping costs in EU, it would be awesome. That old kitchen cabinet is painfully slowly dislocating.

For an interim solution, IKEA? I know it's not metal and mounting stuff is limited, but it's fairly cheap and available in France ;)

My next suggestion would be Alternate: https://www.alternate.fr/

Found these, no idea on their prices nor services: https://www.serverdirect.nl

HTH!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Well, that's precisely the issue:

Ikea: every piece of ikea furniture I had else got broken from being bumped into, or from the sheer weight of hardward I slap on it, and unlike actual wood, is un-reworkable into something smaller. Also, the old classic bedside table thingy that used to be known to be of perfect size for racks is apparently discontinued.

Alternate: well, when I look for rack cabinet, I end up with things like this : 200€ for 16U of 45cm depth, and only the sides can be removed, not the back.

Did found a 600mm deep one, but:
> 340€

> not in stock

> still closed non-removable back, instead it "waves open" the wall assembly like a door from its wallmount... which is a no way both because of where I would put it in my small flat, and both because wallmounting 250kg of hardware to a dry wall is some especially spicy flavor of bad idea.

As for serverdirect, I may have missed something but it seems like they sell stuff to put inside a cabinet, not the cabinets themselves.

42 minutes ago, LaPlume said:

-snip-

I'm not very well known in this subject, but you could try alternate.be, they seem to have a bigger collection.

and amazon.fr also has some, but shipping is always a bit of a gamble

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

Just now, TheThymo said:

I'm not very well known in this subject, but you could try alternate.be, they seem to have a bigger collection.

and amazon.fr also has some, but shipping is always a bit of a gamble

links: alternate and amazon

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

Alternate.be seems to have some odd price scalings, it will take days to sort this logic out of my brain:

42u 600mm at 329€ next to 12u 600m at 239€ (still with unremovable back) but 18u @ 450€ . ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Amazon yeah, thought of that eventually, but the lack of a proper listing system for items really throws me off. If only there was a pcpartpicker equivalent for server gear and accessories, homelabpartpicker.com , or garbageenterpriserecallsecondhandpartpicker.com ... just, something!

Don't make any mistake, I am scouting by myself meanwhile, and I just wanna put every odds on my side of finding the right thing by calling for community inputs.

And here I thought I found my luck, with a 150 buck 15U rack, that can take 600mm servers in.... but reading more closely the description, rail to rail spacing of 394mm... MATE REALLY? Y u no advertise better? Y u build stoopid? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

That's exactly why I pushed back this purchase for years.

9 minutes ago, LaPlume said:

-snip-

Something like this?

I know that this shop has quite alot of stuff in the netherlands, not sure how it is in france. But you could try. (Also quite decently priced in general.)

4 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

-snip-

That's actually a base I see rebranded really often, and so far from the sellers I asked who actually took the time to answer, it's 600mm deep... front panel to back panel, the front rails are actually roughly 450mm appart from the back rails.

And as you can see on some picture, the back isn't removable, which wouldn't even allow to "cheat" a bit with depth.

The closest I went to something affordable and usable was that .

I would prefer a closed cabinet, but it seems like every (re)brand and marketplace sellers around are out to scam you about actual mounting hardware depth and other shenanigans, and going for an open rack might be the only way to avoid last minutes deathwishes.

Killer issue though: It's threaded holes. Not square holes.

Because obviously, seems we can't have nice thing!

5 minutes ago, LaPlume said:

The closest I went to something affordable and usable was that .

I would prefer a closed cabinet, but it seems like every (re)brand and marketplace sellers around are out to scam you about actual mounting hardware depth and other shenanigans, and going for an open rack might be the only way to avoid last minutes deathwishes.

Killer issue though: It's threaded holes. Not square holes.

Because obviously, seems we can't have nice thing!

It seems like a big struggle, and i don't know how to help any further ? best of luck

Still, I thank you for your time!

Every few weeks during the last 3 years I have been looking around without finding what would fit, it's just that it all became urgent all of the sudden when my garbagio setup started to really threaten my gear and stop me from sleeping, and made me shy of slamming the room's door.

Regrettably, Serverdirect does have one (yes: 1) server rack available, it's 14U, but quite out of your budget by some margin:

https://www.serverdirect.nl/en/components/serverrackcabinets/14u/supermicro-14u-rack-cse-rack14u/3081

As for IKEA, it was suggested as an interim solution, but having visited the site I'd suggest the Bror series (if these are available in France, I suppose they are) which is a metal "design-yourself" book-case style rack. Open at all sides, but at least it's metal and the 64x54cm planks can hold 100kg each.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

12 hours ago, LaPlume said:

Hi.

So far, I stacked a lot of stuff into a piece of furniture that was litterally a leftover extra unit of kitchen construction from the people who were living before where I live now.

And after 3years, it started to sloooooowly give up.

Hide contents

20200216_232033.thumb.jpg.6f76afbc323fa3d62b035106ceddf9c4.jpg

The side of it is, month after month, creeping away to the side, leaving the bottom plate.

This "thing" (with my pitiful attempt at "trying" to do something to at least be able to sleep last night and stress a little bit less) is actually where are:

-my two storage and virtualization server

-my fiber router

-my U4 workstation&maincomputer

and it's on top of it that are stored a screen, keyboard and KVM switch + loads of spare parts...

So, here I am... looking for a rack cabinet between 15 and 18U, deep enough to take in a R720, the cheapest possible that can be delievered in France/EU.

I'm quite sick of messaging every marketplace seller asking how deep of a server we can fit in their advertised "600mm deep" cabinet, and be told that the rails are so pushed back that only 45mm deep servers would fit, or that the back panel isn't removable, or only to be never answered.

And yeah, I know officially Dell wants 75cm of rack depth and stuff, but aint got that kind of money and this R720 is gonna sit on the bottom like a naughty boy on top of the UPS units.

I mean, if someone there knows which brand/place/vendor sells cheapo deep 15 to 18U rack cabinets with non-stellar shipping costs in EU, it would be awesome. That old kitchen cabinet is painfully slowly dislocating.

You shouldnt worry about 600MM deep, normally the racks that are advertised as 600MM it doesent mean from front door to back door. My 42U rack enclosure that is 600MM is actually over a meter in lenght and have space for tons of shit.

Normal rack sliders are around 60CM or 600MM which is why they advertise it as 600MM. in reallity the rack is over a meter long. Some rack like my second 42U enclosure APC Netshelter is nearly 1.2M long (I really love this enclosure lol).

You can also easily see on the pictures of a rack if they are "full dept" of half dept (commonly used for switches/nettworking and music equiptment).

But i guess you could know this by reading the spec sheet on the enclosure you are looking at..

1 hour ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Normal rack sliders are around 60CM or 600MM which is why they advertise it as 600MM. in reallity the rack is over a meter long.

No...

sure.png.17b6cad3d1df839dea7579f3c3abddc3.png

1 hour ago, AbsoluteFool said:

My 42U rack enclosure that is 600MM is actually over a meter in lenght and have space for tons of shit.

Some rack like my second 42U enclosure APC Netshelter is nearly 1.2M long (I really love this enclosure lol).

But i guess you could know this by reading the spec sheet on the enclosure you are looking at..

...but I guess you could get use of that advise of yours too.

sure².png

• 3 weeks later...

End of story:

It couldn't wait anymore, my old refurbed kitchen furniture wasn't holding the weight anymore:

Spoiler

IMG-20200303-WA0010.thumb.jpeg.ddf7711b0830d8742884453d7c55db0c.jpeg

And I ended up going for a 4 post 15U open frame that at least I'm sure wasn't advertised wrongly about the deph.
Found my sweet post, 26inchs setting (it can go from 24 to 31 in depth), and go for a flush R720's butt, so I can push the thing against the wall.

Spoiler

IMG-20200302-WA0005.thumb.jpeg.87b3d6d8a890789263e459a68bb2a442.jpeg

And that poor thing found its place in the jank den.

Spoiler

20200303_160224.thumb.jpg.5a365e1bf2c45dd5de1d7faeae46bf65.jpg

With around 90kg (~200lb) load inside the rack, and a good 20kg (~44lb) more on top. I was just done building you, but this is your life now.