Decent laptop under C$1000 for graphics use?

So I have a friend attending college for trades (welding to start) and at some point is going to need to pick up a laptop for industrial graphic design work for when she finishes her course next year. Any suggestions on models or lines to look into? Dedicated graphics is a necessity here.

EDIT: The $1000 in the topic is Canadian dollars, which at the current rate of exchange is approximately $750 US.

Thanks

Mindstab Thrull

Check out Ebay. A used laptop might be good for your use case/

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

5 minutes ago, greenmax said:

That says it's $1100 and I presume that's USD. Maybe I should have mentioned in the main body as well as the topic that I was looking at Canadian dollars (comes to roughly 750 US), so a bit more than I was looking to spend.

7 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

Check out Ebay. A used laptop might be good for your use case/

Do you have any suggestions on brands or lines to avoid? Also I find that when I search for other stuff, it's hard to narrow down options on eBay (eg show me the laptops on this list that have an i5 and cut out the rest). Maybe I am just bad at eBay :)

Just gonna tell you straight up that you aren't getting a good dGPU for a grand.

On that note, look for a used/refurb Thinkpad. Do you have a screen size preference?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

20 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Just gonna tell you straight up that you aren't getting a good dGPU for a grand.

On that note, look for a used/refurb Thinkpad. Do you have a screen size preference?

I think 15" would probably be enough to get started. Thing is, the machine can always be replaced once enough money has come in from work. I personally am only expecting this machine to be needed once she's hired for maybe a year or so for this task.

Mindstab Thrull

19 minutes ago, Mindstab Thrull said:

I think 15" would probably be enough to get started. Thing is, the machine can always be replaced once enough money has come in from work. I personally am only expecting this machine to be needed once she's hired for maybe a year or so for this task.

Mindstab Thrull

Take a look at the T-series, and just get the newest or fastest one you can afford. All of them are good machines.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, Mindstab Thrull said:

That says it's $1100 and I presume that's USD. Maybe I should have mentioned in the main body as well as the topic that I was looking at Canadian dollars (comes to roughly 750 US), so a bit more than I was looking to spend.

Do you have any suggestions on brands or lines to avoid? Also I find that when I search for other stuff, it's hard to narrow down options on eBay (eg show me the laptops on this list that have an i5 and cut out the rest). Maybe I am just bad at eBay :)

You can find old razer blades for $600. Which are exactly what you are looking for.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

18 hours ago, Mindstab Thrull said:

Maybe

common mistake, even Linus, a Canadian states USD numbers without any mention of currency

12 hours ago, greenmax said:

common mistake, even Linus, a Canadian states USD numbers without any mention of currency

Wait.. is he from Vancouver, BC, or Vancouver, WA?

(Cheek, meet tongue...)

Mindstab Thrull