Macbook Pro vs DELL XPS models (and many others)

FAAZYLAV

Provocative title... Agree.

Here is the thing, I got 2 jobs, Web-development (Ui/UX Design, some coding) and Video Editor. 

Mostly I'm working on my Desktop PC, But Now Looking to work on a move, so going to buy a Laptop. 

1) Not a fan of MacBooks but mostly on internet everyone called it as number 1 ( Yotubers ( not Linus)) 

2) Prefer Windows -  Really liked XPS Dell models, but they kinda expensive 

Also interested in OLED display laptops... Any on Market already ? 

So here is The thing ( since Visual Studio, and Visual studio Code can run mostly on any kind of laptop ) Looking for a Laptop what can handle big projects in Adobe After Effect 

Under 2000 Euros / 2300 USD....

1) Razer Blade

2) Dell xps

3)Lenova Yoga

4) Makbook pro if its really better than 3 previous... 

This kinda my top 3 what I liked on reviews, But what kind of specification I need to get? 

The XPS are cheaper than macbooks for similar specs...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

50 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The XPS are cheaper than macbooks for similar specs...

Yeah, and they're both of similar build quality.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

8 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Yeah, and they're both of similar build quality.

No they’re really not, the XPS feels cheap AF, you don’t get MacOS (which could be really useful for coding), trackpad is awful.

There’s a reason people like MacBooks and let me share a secret just between you and me,

Spoiler

it’s not the logo on the back. 

Also the Mac has a more colour accurate screen if you’re going for that. 4K OLED is nice for watching things but I’d take the more colour accurate one.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

8 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

No they’re really not, the XPS feels cheap AF, you don’t get MacOS (which could be really useful for coding), trackpad is awful.

Also the Mac has a more colour accurate screen if you’re going for that. 4K OLED is nice for watching things but I’d take the more colour accurate one.

Admittedly I haven't had the most recent MBP in my hand, but had many of the previous ones and compared to the latest XPS 15 I haven't noticed any "cheap AF" differences between the two in terms of build-quality. I felt like the fans were a bit louder on the XPS under light workloads.

As for the screens - both are top-notch and can (and should) be calibrated if you're doing stuff that requires such accuracy. Can't say I've seen any noticeable differences in that department as well.

Now to the good part :P

8 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

There’s a reason people like MacBooks and let me share a secret just between you and me,

Hide contents

it’s not the logo on the back. 

The only way I could read this statement is: There's also a lot of reasons why people do not like MacBooks.
For the money and for OP's usage case, MBP would be my last choice out of those devices OP listed if you ignore the Lenovo option.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

This topic makes everything harder ) 

Under one youtube video I've read  XPS - really bad to be repair, 

Also saw how Lenovo yogo litteray lost 360 connectors in front of me in usual day use... 

IF anyone used Razer Blade laptop 2019 version, share experience.... 

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Admittedly I haven't had the most recent MBP in my hand, but had many of the previous ones and compared to the latest XPS 15 I haven't noticed any "cheap AF" differences between the two in terms of build-quality. I felt like the fans were a bit louder on the XPS under light workloads.

As for the screens - both are top-notch and can (and should) be calibrated if you're doing stuff that requires such accuracy. Can't say I've seen any noticeable differences in that department as well.

Now to the good part :P

The only way I could read this statement is: There's also a lot of reasons why people do not like MacBooks.
For the money and for OP's usage case, MBP would be my last choice out of those devices OP listed if you ignore the Lenovo option.

I’ve had a play with the XPS and it feels extremely poorly made. 

MacBook has more coverage and offers different colour gamut’s (P3 for example)

Apart from “boo apple” Retards I have yet to find someone who actually disliked the most recent MacBook. Only real criticism is ports but 4 thunderbolts can turn into whatever the hell you want. 

You mean the laptop that is the best for coding and well liked in the space is the worst choice for someone who is doing coding? And that has final cut which is the best video editor to have on a laptop. 

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

You mean the laptop that is the best for coding and well liked in the space is the worst choice for someone who is doing coding? And that has final cut which is the best video editor to have on a laptop.

I meant, that he can get a more universal device with better specs for the same price. I'd say that's a good option to know and consider ;)

29 minutes ago, FAAZYLAV said:

IF anyone used Razer Blade laptop 2019 version, share experience.... 

This one can be equipped with an OLED display. The review should answer most of your questions about the Blade.

20 hours ago, FAAZYLAV said:

Provocative title... Agree.

Here is the thing, I got 2 jobs, Web-development (Ui/UX Design, some coding) and Video Editor. 

Mostly I'm working on my Desktop PC, But Now Looking to work on a move, so going to buy a Laptop. 

1) Not a fan of MacBooks but mostly on internet everyone called it as number 1 ( Yotubers ( not Linus)) 

Also interested in OLED display laptops... Any on Market already ? 

So here is The thing ( since Visual Studio, and Visual studio Code can run mostly on any kind of laptop ) Looking for a Laptop what can handle big projects in Adobe After Effect 

Under 2000 Euros / 2300 USD....

1) Razer Blade

2) Dell xps

3)Lenova Yoga

4) Makbook pro if its really better than 3 previous... 

This kinda my top 3 what I liked on reviews, But what kind of specification I need to get? 

On the MacBook Pro front -- the 16-inch model would be a good pick, but not the smaller models until they're updated with the new keyboard.  There are a few reasons you might consider it over the others.

First, of all things: real-world build quality and support.  Apple definitely isn't flawless, but there do seem to be fewer instances of Macs breaking down, and the builds are very solid (no chassis flex or screen wobble, no plastic bodies, that sort of thing).  It seems like Dell and Lenovo quality has been falling recently.  And while you can get extended support options for Windows laptops that are sometimes better, I've found that the support Apple does offer tends to be better.  You can go to an Apple Store (or an authorized repair shop) to get some fixes without having to mail in your laptop, for example.  On-the-phone support reps are more likely to know what they're talking about; you're less likely to get locked into a support loop where it can take months to get a real fix.

I also prefer Apple's displays, in part because they strike a good balance between resolution and battery life.  There's this weird tendency in the Windows laptop world to limit display options to either a no-frills 1080p screen or some 4K touchscreen beast that looks great but cuts your battery life by two hours.

And simply speaking, MacOS is less intrusive than Windows 10.  It won't slip ads into your interface, nag you as often or insist on sending telemetry back to home base.  I'd also add that there are far fewer instances of OS updates causing havoc.  It's wild that Microsoft still has a problem with Windows 10's larger updates causing headaches.

Of the Windows systems, I'd probably lean to a Dell XPS 15 even with the potential quality issues I've mentioned.  It'll be harder to get support for Razer, and the Lenovo Yoga models are convertible tablets rather than the powerhouses you really want.

As for displays... avoid current-gen OLED in laptop screens at all costs.  It looks pretty, but it's not great for battery life, it's frequently inaccurate, and, more importantly, could easily produce burn-in given your work.  You don't want permanent traces of your After Effects toolbars on the screen.  There might come a time when OLED is viable, but not right now.

52 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I meant, that he can get a more universal device with better specs for the same price. I'd say that's a good option to know and consider ;)

This one can be equipped with an OLED display. The review should answer most of your questions about the Blade.

A more universal... you don’t realise you can boot windows on a Mac, I’ve set it up on mine. If anything macbook are the Moët universal laptops that can use the most amount of software. Also when running MacOS the lower specs don’t matter because For example the Mac running final cut will demolish the XPS in premiere 

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

A more universal... you don’t realise you can boot windows on a Mac, I’ve set it up on mine. If anything macbook are the Moët universal laptops that can use the most amount of software. Also when running MacOS the lower specs don’t matter because For example the Mac running final cut will demolish the XPS in premiere 

I want to remind you that in threads such as this you should recommend something that OP actually needs, in the original post there is clearly stated:

That pretty much means unless the MBP has some outstanding features (it doesn't), or has a lower price (it also doesn't), the best recommendation would be something around the XPS. Doesn't necessarily have to be a Dell, but there are other options. There are pros to an MBP in some cases, but I don't think it's in this one.

If you must go Apple, the 16" MacBook Pro. Not a fan of the keyboard (still too shallow for my liking), everything being soldered and glued down, or having only Thunderbolt ports, but if you're willing to overlook those, it's actually a pretty good choice. My personal preference in the thin and light laptops is the ThinkPad X1 Extreme/P1. You can get a refurbished 1st gen X1E for about $1050-1200 on eBay, though you will need to get another stick of RAM if you want dual channel. You'll probably want to add another SSD, too, since at that price range, it's only a 512 GB SSD. I have a first gen model and it's been working fantastically. Second gen is good if you want more screen options but performance isn't too big a jump and there are reports of missing keystrokes on the second gen models.

12 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I want to remind you that in threads such as this you should recommend something that OP actually needs, in the original post there is clearly stated:

That pretty much means unless the MBP has some outstanding features (it doesn't), or has a lower price (it also doesn't), the best recommendation would be something around the XPS. Doesn't necessarily have to be a Dell, but there are other options. There are pros to an MBP in some cases, but I don't think it's in this one.

The outstanding feature is called UNIX. Did you miss the coding part of the OP or do you just hate Apple? 

I would like to know why they’re not a fan of a MacBook because it is legitimately the best laptop for coding and video editing, it can run all 3 major OS’, you can’t code for Macs, iWhatever or safari without a Mac. It’s probably because some misguided idiot who thinks they just cost a lot because of the logo who lists off a specsheet like that’s the be all end all of a laptop. 

On 2/17/2020 at 8:54 AM, Lord Vile said:

They do not feel "cheap AF" at all in my opnion and the trackpad, I find one of the best not-macbook trackpads I've used. I will admit that their QA/QC is all over the place lately. I also wouldn't trade my Linux setup for mac with regards to programming, but that's my opinion. I also don't like the keyboard with almost no travel.

On 2/17/2020 at 7:48 PM, Lord Vile said:

you can boot windows on a Mac

Which I find completely defeats the purpose of getting a macbook.

I'm not saying Mac's are bad (they're not), but they are also not the be-all and end-all for every situation. I do like the aspect of having a proper Office package for Macs at least, and for being more general-user friendly.

On 2/17/2020 at 6:23 PM, FAAZYLAV said:

Under one youtube video I've read  XPS - really bad to be repair, 

You'll have to send it in and deal with Dell (or your vendor) if something breaks indeed, but that's the same for other vendors, as macs aren't easy to repair either. Everything like RAM and SSDs seem to be soldered on nowadays. I will say I find Dell's QA/QC currently pretty bad, reading all the stories over at r/Dell, but their customer service during my warranty period was good and I haven't had any issues with my new one so far.

I've used the 2016 XPS 13 9360 and recently upgraded to the 2019 XPS 13 7390 model. My daily driver is Fedora Linux (dual booted with Windows 10 for the occasional Office things) and it's a pleasure to work with so far.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

16 minutes ago, tikker said:

They do not feel "cheap AF" at all in my opnion and the trackpad, I find one of the best not-macbook trackpads I've used. I will admit that their QA/QC is all over the place lately. I also wouldn't trade my Linux setup for mac with regards to programming, but that's my opinion. I also don't like the keyboard with almost no travel.

Which I find completely defeats the purpose of getting a macbook.

I'm not saying Mac's are bad (they're not), but they are also not the be-all and end-all for every situation. I do like the aspect of having a proper Office package for Macs at least, and for being more general-user friendly.

You'll have to send it in and deal with Dell (or your vendor) if something breaks indeed, but that's the same for other vendors, as macs aren't easy to repair either. Everything like RAM and SSDs seem to be soldered on nowadays. I will say I find Dell's QA/QC currently pretty bad, reading all the stories over at r/Dell, but their customer service during my warranty period was good and I haven't had any issues with my new one so far.

I've used the 2016 XPS 13 9360 and recently upgraded to the 2019 XPS 13 7390 model. My daily driver is Fedora Linux (dual booted with Windows 10 for the occasional Office things) and it's a pleasure to work with so far.

From what I've seen they do. "The best windows trackpad" isn't really a ringing endorsement, they're all crap. Was shopping for laptops with my fiancée for ages and looked at pretty much all of the windows thin and lights barring Razer, she ended up with a MacBook.

You use bootcamp for the stuff that won't run on MacOS. It offers you  more flexibility, can't run MacOS on a windows laptop without a hacked version of MacOS.

Agree they're not but the OP codes and does web development, having UNIX and not having to boot into Linux for it would be very useful. PLus access to FCP for video editing.

Ease of repair is awful, though personally I've never had issue I've had plenty of friends and family had issue with apple products and 90% of the time they've just been given new hardware within 2 hours of giving it to a store, the 10%~ is they've had to hand it in and have stuff posted out but that was a phone case not hardware.

27 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

From what I've seen they do. "The best windows trackpad" isn't really a ringing endorsement, they're all crap. Was shopping for laptops with my fiancée for ages and looked at pretty much all of the windows thin and lights barring Razer, she ended up with a MacBook.

You use bootcamp for the stuff that won't run on MacOS. It offers you  more flexibility, can't run MacOS on a windows laptop without a hacked version of MacOS.

Agree they're not but the OP codes and does web development, having UNIX and not having to boot into Linux for it would be very useful. PLus access to FCP for video editing.

Ease of repair is awful, though personally I've never had issue I've had plenty of friends and family had issue with apple products and 90% of the time they've just been given new hardware within 2 hours of giving it to a store, the 10%~ is they've had to hand it in and have stuff posted out but that was a phone case not hardware.

Yeh I've heard good things about Final Cut Pro. The Windows trackpads are nowhere near Apple level, I fully agree, and probably never will unless they find a way to copy them. I agree they can be great machines for if you need a Unix (or Unix-like) environment but don't want to become a sysadmin in the process :P

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

2 hours ago, tikker said:

Yeh I've heard good things about Final Cut Pro. The Windows trackpads are nowhere near Apple level, I fully agree, and probably never will unless they find a way to copy them. I agree they can be great machines for if you need a Unix (or Unix-like) environment but don't want to become a sysadmin in the process :P

Think my base response to laptop is just becoming "MacBook" because for the majority of people it makes sense, I tolerate windows on my desktop but all I use it for now is gaming and content consumption if I'm gonna sit and watch a film or TV series for a few hours, anything else I just get the MacBook out because it's just easier. Plus windows doesn't even come with word or office in general anymore, sure you can use googles alternatives but they don't work well offline and an OS you pay for and is for normal people you should have a word processor on there (WordPad and notepad? Don't count).  Also as to prove my point as to how windows is a terrible OS my search bar isn't working! I went to type in word and note so I know what the programs were actually called and I just get a big grey box where my results should be but aren't. Never happens with spotlight. Teaches me for coming on here between gaming and bed -.-

By the way MacOS is Unix Linux is the Unix Like ;)

Sorry for the OT here.
Just curious, since i'm a pleb when it comes to coding in any way :P

Why exactly is it a benefit in having a Unix based OS, instead of Windows? What is special about Unix?

That a Macbook is great for Coding, the reason can't be, because it's the only device, that can run MacOS and just install Windows + Linux if you need to (while getting MacOS on other Laptops is more difficult)?

23 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Also as to prove my point as to how windows is a terrible OS my search bar isn't working! I went to type in word and note so I know what the programs were actually called and I just get a big grey box where my results should be but aren't. Never happens with spotlight. Teaches me for coming on here between gaming and bed -.-

Yeah Window search is garbage for me as well. The more I type of what I want to find the less relevant the results become sometimes.

23 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

By the way MacOS is Unix Linux is the Unix Like

That's why my "(or Unix-like)" was trying to get at :)

3 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Sorry for the OT here.
Just curious, since i'm a pleb when it comes to coding in any way :P

Why exactly is it a benefit in having a Unix based OS, instead of Windows? What is special about Unix?

That a Macbook is great for Coding, the reason can't be, because it's the only device, that can run MacOS and just install Windows + Linux if you need to (while getting MacOS on other Laptops is more difficult)?

MacOS works natively it has tools for most Linux systems which a LOT of servers are built around. Windows doesn’t. Essentially MacOS is more compatible with Linux and windows than Windows is with MacOS and Linux. Plus if you want to code for anything to do with Apple you need a Mac or else you can’t do it. Unix is structured different too, it’s more modular.

There are other reasons but I’m a noob when it comes to coding and this is what I can gather so far.