Question about ROG-Strix-X570-F chipset fan; does not seem to be spinning.

Hey fellow techies! 

Yesterday I've finished my sick new build. Everything works fine, only I have noticed that the chipset-fan of my ASUS ROG-Strix-X570-F mainboard does not seem to be spinning! I've also noticed that there is a "M2_fan connector" on my mainboard (See In the manual, page 31). I have no connections to this connector, because I just assumed that a fan directly on the mainboard wouldn't need to be connected.

Do I need to connect something to get the mainboard chipset fan to spin? And why is there a M2_fan connector on the mainboard anyways? Given the layout of the mainboard, I would not know where to place an extra fan to cool the M2 SSD's, because they are under a heatsink anyways. 

Kindest regards, Yme

The chipset fan only spins up when it gets hot, so most of the times it wont spin. Not sure about the m2 fan connector, but its probably just a fan connector regulated by the temperature of the m2 drive, for active cooling heatsinks or something

29 minutes ago, Stokstaartje420 said:

And why is there a M2_fan connector on the mainboard anyways? Given the layout of the mainboard, I would not know where to place an extra fan to cool the M2 SSD's, because they are under a heatsink anyways. 

It's for stuff like this: https://www.xpg.com/en/feature/494/

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What temps is it at? Many boards won't run the fan if the temps aren't that high.

I have not checked the temp yet. I just noticed that my fan wasn't spinning. I will check tonight and let you know. I do have an m2 SSD installed, and I have a rather big GPU so that it overlaps the chipset fan a little bit. How important is this chipset fan anyways, If it doesn't seem to be spinning that much?

12 hours ago, Delicious Cake said:

The chipset fans on pretty much every X570 with one default to zero RPM until it reaches some threshold temp.

And the treshold temp being the temp of the mainboard? Can I see this somewhere in the bios?

It'll probably be where fan control is. However, I don't think you can actually create a custom curve/profile and have to use the defaults provided, but there's usually like 3 - normal, silent and aggressive.

It's this way for pretty much every X570 afaik.