My Parents Don't Like Gaming

otherworldlynob
1 minute ago, otherworldlynob said:

coincidental

I knew when I did it, but figured you'd know also.

6 hours ago, otherworldlynob said:

read a lot of books

good because books are rare in todays day in age.

48 minutes ago, greenmax said:

I knew when I did it, but figured you'd know also.

good because books are rare in todays day in age.

um not really rare, I just go to the library?

Advice
 While you obviously want the PC for gaming, parents see that as a waste of time while you can do "educational stuff"
2. Convince them it will will be educational, as in you want to learn coding as well as learn how to make your own games.
3. Most Computer Science Degrees force you to do a lot of Mathematics and Programming and you want something reasonable to test stuff on.
4. Don't ask for the most expensive thing on the market, do some research, buying computer parts is like buying a car, buying the model before the "newest model" can be cheaper.

homeofmew (homeofmew#1337)

[ | folding@home | F@A Extreme Over Clocking | Bionic | ]

Bachelors of Science in Mathematics, University of Houston

4 minutes ago, homeofmew said:

Advice
 While you obviously want the PC for gaming, parents see that as a waste of time while you can do "educational stuff"
2. Convince them it will will be educational, as in you want to learn coding as well as learn how to make your own games.
3. Most Computer Science Degrees force you to do a lot of Mathematics and Programming and you want something reasonable to test stuff on.
4. Don't ask for the most expensive thing on the market, do some research, buying computer parts is like buying a car, buying the model before the "newest model" can be cheaper.

Well, making my own games is "gaming" and therefore a waste of time. (indeed the pain and suffering)

How else can I relate this to an education? I mean school hardly needs a GPU for rendering my homework.

Computer Science, sure, but a lot of developers have had to use worse than this.

As for the 4th one, that doesn't really matter yet, the main issue is right now.

22 hours ago, otherworldlynob said:

Well, making my own games is "gaming" and therefore a waste of time. (indeed the pain and suffering)

How else can I relate this to an education? I mean school hardly needs a GPU for rendering my homework.

Computer Science, sure, but a lot of developers have had to use worse than this.

As for the 4th one, that doesn't really matter yet, the main issue is right now.

Making your own games requires coding skills and is useful in the real world.
There's Coding places here that make tons of money that parents send their kids to to learn java.
Minecraft for example uses actual logic circuits, which I learned in University. 
I actually was able to do very well in that class because of my time in Minecraft.

Most parents rather see their kid on a computer playing a game than have them being out at some club, so yeah
If I had kids theyd have a decent computer to play on as long as they didn't try to meet up with random strangers.

homeofmew (homeofmew#1337)

[ | folding@home | F@A Extreme Over Clocking | Bionic | ]

Bachelors of Science in Mathematics, University of Houston

Would they have the same mindframe of computer games as playing a board game with your neighbor at the kitchen table, or playing at the playground in the community.

3 hours ago, homeofmew said:

Making your own games requires coding skills and is useful in the real world.
There's Coding places here that make tons of money that parents send their kids to to learn java.
Minecraft for example uses actual logic circuits, which you I learned in University. 
I actually was able to do very well in that class because of my time in Minecraft.

Most parents rather see their kid on a computer playing a game than have them being out at some club, so yeah
If I had kids theyd have a decent computer to play on as long as they didn't try to meet up with random strangers.

That's if you had kids. As for my parents having kids.. they have a different idea.

-= Locked =-

This conversation has run its course.

-= Topic Cleaned =-

I have scrubbed this topic for violations of the Community Standards regarding Privacy.

@otherworldlynob as a parent myself I will let you in on a secret, parents do their best to teach, educate and protect their children from a perspective they believe is correct. Not every decision is always correct neither is it wrong or can be explained, parents do have reasons to make the decisions they do and you may not be fully understanding of what those are. Do not discredit your parents so easily here, as you age you will understand why your parents made the decisions they are making. I have 5 children ranging from young to pre-teen (I wont list them for privacy reasons) and I am 38 years old. My generation is the first to grow up with technology as part of our lives, so we understand well the pros and cons to exposure to electronics. You parents may be just being cautious not necessarily overly restrictive. Also parents have to justify the expense of purchasing new tech, I can tell you that I have to budget my paycheck as we have so many expenses just to live in our house that must be tended to before we can look to spend money on other things. If you are the age that I believe you to be, trust me you do not have yet the experiences to understand. I am not saying you are stupid just not yet to the point to understand the bigger picture. (I have had this conversation before so I have a fair understand of what I am talking about). 

My advice to you is stay the course, when you have saved the money for a real budget and can show both the maturity and logical reasoning I am sure your parents will come around. This I am sure of as I have said the same thing to my daughter that wants to make YT videos at her age, which is way to young to expose her likeness to the world just yet. Your essay was probably well thought out but, if I had to be presented with that same essay I would have said no as well. 

Lastly, I encourage you to ask your folks why they made the decision and to discuss what steps you can take to change their minds and I do not mean explain to them in the same manner you did in your essay but to discuss their concerns and reasons for their decision. This will do 2 things, 1) show that you are on the road to take ownership and responsibility for meeting the expectation of maturity, 2) show that your intention is to do what you have an aspiration to do. I would involve your parents in what you plan to do so that they can monitor what you are doing and support you. There are a great many reasons for wants and involving your parents is a great first step.

V/r,

SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER