I'm trying to delete my storage pool I created in windows Need help

So I'm trying to take one of my 8tb drives and put the 5tbs of shit i have on the raid array in windows storage pool. My problem is I need to somehow have one of the 8tb drives that is apart of the storage spaces raid array) to be recognized by windows so that I can wipe it and them move the 5tbs of data onto the newly formatted drive. 

Somethings:

• But I can't seem to get windows to recognize the single 8tb drive without thinking its the storage pool. Anyone know of a way to do this, cause I can't find a way to do this.
  • I can't just get another 8tb drive thats not apart of the array to put the 5tb of data on. To expensive
  • Also I set it up in raid 6 so I can lose 2 drives before the array is irrecoverable. Which I thought meant I could do this but I cant' seem to find a way to wipe an 8tb drive from the array to use as a middle man to put the 5tb data on while I dismantle the array.

Possible solutions:

• Only one I can think of would be to move each Folder on the array ONE by ONE to the holding drive. 
    This would kinda work but I don't have 5 tbs of space to put over multiple drives. Sooooo

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

have you tried removing one of the drives from the pool, the using it as a normal drive?

Yes, I just removed one of them and tried; all windows does is sees it as one of the 5 drives I'm using in the storage space pool I made. Aka it won't let u access it because it needs at least 3 drives for me to be able to edit the files its holding........

Just now, Micro_Voidster said:

Yes, I just removed one of them and tried; all windows does is sees it as one of the 5 drives I'm using in the storage space pool I made. Aka it won't let u access it because it needs at least 3 drives for me to be able to edit the files its holding........

Do you need to kep the data on the drive? you can wipe it and use it like a normal drive.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you need to kep the data on the drive? you can wipe it and use it like a normal drive.

Again its a piece of the array so it has data on it yes, but I can wipe it yes. (theoretically) Thats what I'd like to do but windows won't recognize it as its own drive due to storage spaces. Do u know of software that can wipe it with out fucking up the storage pool array?

Again its a piece of the array so it has data on it yes, but I can wipe it yes. (theoretically) Thats what I'd like to do but windows won't recognize it as its own drive due to storage spaces. Do u know of software that can wipe it with out fucking up the storage pool array?

If you wipe it you will lose the data and the array.

Do you have backups to restore?

It really seesm like you need anouther drive to copy the data too.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you wipe it you will lose the data and the array.

But that doesn't make sense. If I can remove two of the drives and still be able to access the drive pools data. What difference does it make the reasoning as to why those other 2 drives can't be used. What your saying is that Windows knows if the other drives are still apart of the storage pool even tho windows can't see them or know that they have been wiped. I'm confused...

Do you have backups to restore?

there offsite so no if I need to I could get them but id rather not if theres another way.

It really seesm like you need anouther drive to copy the data too.

It would be ideal yes. 

But that doesn't make sense. If I can remove two of the drives and still be able to access the drive pools data. What difference does it make the reasoning as to why those other 2 drives can't be used. What your saying is that Windows knows if the other drives are still apart of the storage pool even tho windows can't see them or know that they have been wiped. I'm confused...

Well If you can have those drives fail, then you can format them and remove them from the pool and use them for other things.

Just remove the drive from the pool and format it normally

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well If you can have those drives fail, then you can format them and remove them from the pool and use them for other things.

Just remove the drive from the pool and format it normally

which one is it tho? 

Will i brick the array in storage spaces?
Or

will i be fine formatting the two drives that I can lose from me setting it up in Raid 6?

Again how do I format the disks if windows only recognizes them as one of the 5 drives in the Raid 6 array?

which one is it tho? 

Will i brick the array in storage spaces?
Or

will i be fine formatting the two drives that I can lose from me setting it up in Raid 6?

Again how do I format the disks if windows only recognizes them as one of the 5 drives in the Raid 6 array?

removing a drive is fine if redundancy is setup right

Do a backup first.

You can remove from the pool in powershell with remove-physicaldisk.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

removing a drive is fine if redundancy is setup right

ik that again what I'm saying is how do I get windows to see the drive so I can then format it but also keep the array alive.

Do a backup first.

I don't have a drive to put the 5tbs of data onto for a backup.

You can remove from the pool in powershell with remove-physicaldisk.

I don't want remove the pool I want to wipe a drive from the pool so I can then do what u said above backup the 5tbs onto that removed drive so I can wipe the array and just make redundant copies of everything onto each 8tb drive. Cause raid is stupid

ik that again what I'm saying is how do I get windows to see the drive so I can then format it but also keep the array alive.

do it in powershell, remove the disk from the pool.

I don't want remove the pool I want to wipe a drive from the pool so I can then do what u said above backup the 5tbs onto that removed drive so I can wipe the array and just make redundant copies of everything onto each 8tb drive. Cause raid is stupid

You can't use the drive for other uses without removing it from the pool. the drive can either be in a pool, or used with a normal parititon setup.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

do it in powershell, remove the disk from the pool.

You can't use the drive for other uses without removing it from the pool. the drive can either be in a pool, or used with a normal parititon setup.

OK awesome thats what I wanted. u said pool so I thought meant I had to kill the pool entirely for some reason. OK

Can u walk me through what I need to do.
- Do i need to have the array aka all 5 disks up or do I have to have the 3 minimum up?

- what commands?

-  etc etc.

OK awesome thats what I wanted. u said pool so I thought meant I had to kill the pool entirely for some reason. OK

Can u walk me through what I need to do.
- Do i need to have the array aka all 5 disks up or do I have to have the 3 minimum up?

- what commands?

-  etc etc.

Open the gui, and try removing the drive. THen use powershell if that doesn't work

12 hours ago, Micro_Voidster said:

What your saying is that Windows knows if the other drives are still apart of the storage pool even tho windows can't see them or know that they have been wiped. I'm confused...

Yes that is how it works. Once you add disks in to a Storage Pool Windows will write on to every disk the metadata for the array with all the disk UUIDs, if any disk is active/plugged in to a Windows System it'll read this data from any of the disks and know everything about the Storage Pool i.e. everything that is part of the pool plugged in or not.

You have to actually eject a disk from a Storage Pool properly, not just remove/unplug it or try and wipe it etc. Once it's ejected it'll appear in Disk Manager like normal as Windows will remove the Storage Spaces metadata off the disk are part of the ejection process from a Storage Pool.

On 2/17/2020 at 3:30 AM, leadeater said:

Yes that is how it works. Once you add disks in to a Storage Pool Windows will write on to every disk the metadata for the array with all the disk UUIDs, if any disk is active/plugged in to a Windows System it'll read this data from any of the disks and know everything about the Storage Pool i.e. everything that is part of the pool plugged in or not.

You have to actually eject a disk from a Storage Pool properly, not just remove/unplug it or try and wipe it etc. Once it's ejected it'll appear in Disk Manager like normal as Windows will remove the Storage Spaces metadata off the disk are part of the ejection process from a Storage Pool.

Thank u for dumbing it down further, props to Electronics Wizard but I'm a little dumber then I think he was thinking lol ?

So he mentioned a few commands does anyone have a tutorial or something on how to do this so I don't screw it up and kill the pool on accident?