Should I upgrade?

striker477

This is my current set up but was looking at the idea of upgrading as I am starting to notice my pc isn't able to perform on newer titles like it used to. Not sure if the cpu is necessary or not at this point as I am seeing mixed things online from people saying it runs just fine to others stating that it was holding their system back in gaming.  But also have a feeling that as the next gen systems come out it will really start to fall behind especially after watching the recent gamers nexus video

i5 6600k

gtx 980

16 gb ddr4

I was looking at possibly moving over to 

Ryzen 5 3600 ( heard the X isn't really worth it)

RTX 5700 XT (haven't had a amd card in a long time but looks like it is pretty on par with a gtx 2070 super except for its a lot cheaper and missing ray tracing but heard some people have complaints about driver issues or overheating)

Then was torn for motherboard was either looking at MSI B450 Pro Carbon or ASUS B450-F

I was hoping to get your guys opinions, is it worth upgrading and if so what do you think about my upgrade path?

Thanks,

the gaming pro carbon is better, but you're also paying extra for wifi. pick up a B450-A Pro/gaming plus/tomahawk instead if you don't need it. If you think it doesn't perform well enough and you're willing to pay for the upgrade then it's your choice.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

3 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

the gaming pro carbon is better, but you're also paying extra for wifi. pick up a B450-A Pro/gaming plus/tomahawk instead if you don't need it. If you think it doesn't perform well enough and you're willing to pay for the upgrade then it's your choice.

I will definitely check those out as well and while wifi isn't necessary i thought it would be nice to have built in Bluetooth as well. 

Would you say it is worth upgrading?   

I also notice you list that you run a 5700 XT how has it performed for you any heat/driver issues? 

please make a list on pcpartpicker.com

pc specs:

Spoiler

r5 3600
16gb ddr4 3200mhz

b450 tomahawk max
rx 6600xt

1tb ssd + 6tb hdd
meshify c
750w dragon or something psu idk

5 minutes ago, striker477 said:

I also notice you list that you run a 5700 XT how has it performed for you any heat/driver issues? 

I'm using a reference card so i can't say much unless you want one yourself, which i wouldn't recommend unless you want to watercool it. Driver wise nothing major, just remember to use DDU to properly uninstall your 980's drivers before upgrading it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

It's hard to quantify if an upgrade is worth it for someone else. But IMO you'd be wise to upgrade the GPU first, to see if it performs well enough without the extra upgrade of CPU/mobo.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

16 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

I'm using a reference card so i can't say much unless you want one yourself, which i wouldn't recommend unless you want to watercool it. Driver wise nothing major, just remember to use DDU to properly uninstall your 980's drivers before upgrading it.

I am looking for a open cooler design as reference always seems to be hotter and i don't like the idea of water near a pc ha-ha. 

1 minute ago, striker477 said:

the bios might be older than the cpu and you’d need an older cpu in the computer to change the bios, i think amd is willing to send you an older cpu to do that because good customer service but i’d just get a newer motherboard that comes with a newer bios

pc specs:

Spoiler

r5 3600
16gb ddr4 3200mhz

b450 tomahawk max
rx 6600xt

1tb ssd + 6tb hdd
meshify c
750w dragon or something psu idk

8 minutes ago, m0oble said:

the bios might be older than the cpu and you’d need an older cpu in the computer to change the bios, i think amd is willing to send you an older cpu to do that because good customer service but i’d just get a newer motherboard that comes with a newer bios

Part of the reason i was pulled towards this board is it features flashback which to my underanding i should be able to update it by thumb drive. 

I had thought about going with a newer motherboard but the price is substantially more and i don't see much benefit other than pci 4.0 which doesn't seem necessary. 

59 minutes ago, striker477 said:

Part of the reason i was pulled towards this board is it features flashback which to my underanding i should be able to update it by thumb drive. 

I had thought about going with a newer motherboard but the price is substantially more and i don't see much benefit other than pci 4.0 which doesn't seem necessary. 

The MSI MAX boards support zen 2 CPUs without needing a bios update.

26 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

Thank you for the suggestion, I was just checking these out and they mention having a 32 mb bios vs the Pro Carbon having a 16 MB bios. 

From what I understand the only difference is the appearance of the bios? 

On 2/16/2020 at 5:37 PM, Herman Mcpootis said:

And they also have BIOS flashback too, so if you decided on a newer CPU you'd be fine too.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini