Key former BioWare talent form a studio to make narrative-driven RPGs

Delicieuxz

Since, after its very slow and painful virtual death under the corporatization of EA, BioWare is little more than an empty husk of what it originally was, it's nice to know that some of its original form's spirit and talent plans to live on in Archetype Entertainment.

The last game that BioWare designed independently, before it was bought by EA, is Dragon Age: Origins. It is also the last full RPG BioWare has made, and, in my opinion, it is BioWare's swan song.

James Ohlen, Head of Studio

Chad Robertson, General Manager

Drew Karpyshyn, Writer

https://www.archetype-entertainment.com/

OUR GOAL IS TO CREATE THE GREATEST STORY-DRIVEN ROLEPLAYING GAMES IN THE WORLD.

Archetype Entertainment is a game development studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Founded in 2019, Archetype is an autonomous division of Wizards of the Coast. We are assembling a world-class team to build a multi-platform roleplaying game set in a new science fiction universe.

At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.

Drew Karpyshyn's website - Archetype Entertainment

Fortunately for me, I have another gig now. I’m proud to announce that I’m the lead writer for Archetype Entertainment! Founded by James Ohlen – the creative genius behind BioWare hits like Baldur’s Gate, KOTOR and Dragon Age – Archetype is a new video game studio under the Wizards of the Coast umbrella… and I haven’t been this excited to work on a project in a long, long time! (Side note: I’ve always enjoyed working with WotC; they even published my first novel!)

I’ve been in the video game industry for twenty years now. When I started at BioWare, everything was fresh and exciting. It was a dream job – talented people working together to create epic games like Baldur’s Gate, KOTOR, Mass Effect and Dragon Age. But as we grew and became more successful, things changed. We became more corporate. We were less able to make what we loved, and the teams were pushed to create games based on market research rather than our creative instincts and passions. My dream job became just a job, and I lost the enthusiasm and excitement I once had.

But with Archetype, my passion has been rekindled. The feel in the studio reminds me of my early days at BioWare; I can feel the magic in the air. And even though I can’t get too deep into the specifics of what we’re working on yet,we’re already generating plenty of excitement in the industry.

I know we have big shoes to fill. With BioWare, I was part of a legacy that will endure forever. We created some of the most beloved CRPGs of the past two decades. But I truly believe at Archetype we have the talent and the opportunity to do something just as amazing!

This journey is only beginning, and I know it will be long and challenging. But for the first time in a long time, I can’t wait to travel down this path again!

In 2000, I started working for a little video game company called BioWare. I worked there for almost twelve years as a writer, and I contributed to a number of games: the Baldur’s Gate series, Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Mass Effect and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

5 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Since, after its very slow and painful virtual death under the corporatization of EA, BioWare is little more than an empty husk of what it originally was, it's nice to know that some of its original form's spirit and talent plans to live on in Archetype Entertainment.

Archetype Entertainment be like:

upvote.gif.0a53c38bf6e6108e67dc14cc32229567.gif

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

It feels like BioWare is trying to claw back some of what it once had, but still, this is a good move.  It's often in the loss of one thing that we see the creation of new, possibly even better things.

The problem isn't so much corporatization as it is EA's particular form of corporatization.  The publisher has an MO that's entirely too predictable:

1. Buy a studio known for developing one particular genre.

2. Pressure that studio to develop a game outside of its core competency.

3. Wonder why that game flopped without even a hint of self-examination.

4. Studio either closes or becomes a shell of its former self.

EA might've been fine if it had let BioWare stick to RPGs, but it feels like Anthem was the product of an EA exec wanting a "live services" game and deciding that BioWare would be the best studio for the job.  Archetype may be a way of preserving that RPG spirit no matter what happens to BioWare.

At this point if the people working at bioware care about their reputation they would leave and go elsewhere.

If your just there for collecting a paycheck I understand but admit thats what your doing.

Im tired of hearing these people put all the blame on EA. They are the ones choosing to follow EAs orders and putting their name on things that are utter shit. Have a little respect for your work and stop ripping off your fans with games you know are not good.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

It feels like BioWare is trying to claw back some of what it once had, but still, this is a good move.  It's often in the loss of one thing that we see the creation of new, possibly even better things.

The problem isn't so much corporatization as it is EA's particular form of corporatization.  The publisher has an MO that's entirely too predictable:

EA might've been fine if it had let BioWare stick to RPGs, but it feels like Anthem was the product of an EA exec wanting a "live services" game and deciding that BioWare would be the best studio for the job.  Archetype may be a way of preserving that RPG spirit no matter what happens to BioWare.

PS, you forgot 2.5 "Force them to port it to frostbite even if key features and scope of engine does not support 90% of the game".

14 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

PS, you forgot 2.5 "Force them to port it to frostbite even if key features and scope of engine does not support 90% of the game".

Ah yes, that too... I know it makes sense for EA to streamline work, but there are definitely times when it just needs to let developers use the best tool for the job.  It did that with Apex Legends, at least.

1 hour ago, handymanshandle said:

Can't wait for this to flop, just like almost every other company that's tried to do this, like Ghost Games and United Front Games.

What kind of asshole wants a studio to fail?

Sucks how once well known and top reputable gaming companies turn so corporate. Definitely sucks for pationate devs that get shafted like that by top management and such. 

Also, making games based on market research to such extent, it's what we tend to see is so sterile and brings many bad clones of games, tries to milk the content and turns games into a store it self where gameplay is barely primer anymore. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 2/16/2020 at 2:23 PM, Derangel said:

What kind of asshole wants a studio to fail?

Depends on the studio.  A studios product would have to make games and the human condition worse by existing.  Are there any of those you can think of?  If it helps look at some of the removed from steam stuff.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:19 AM, Commodus said:

EA never learns. And it's more like this:

1. A successful Indie/smaller dev has a big name project

2. EA offers to publish it, when it inevitably makes a lot of money EA wants more

3. EA buys the publisher

4. EA has all the GAAS nonsense added to their new games, their games door poorly

5. EA closes down the studio

Repeat, ad nausem.

Like the only games EA keeps making that still make money are the EA sports titles. Maybe sports gamers like having the same game sold to them every year, who knows.

You'd almost think all these once-praised developers are aware their corporate masters are misusing them for the bottom line.

Of course they are. Good for them. More power to them, indeed.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

Maybe sports gamers like having the same game sold to them every year, who knows.

they just don't know any better since that's what they've been served since as far back as i can remember (first sports game i played was FIFA world cup 98)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>