I lost 20GB of free space, from a REBOOT

Go to solution Solved by RageTester,

System saving backups? Is it your only drive? Check %tmp% folder

Ok I know that Windows 10 is full of Bloatware but WTH. I don't fully understand what happened, but what I can say is that yesterday I had to turn off my PC, After 2 hours I came back and turned it on, Explorer was showing 40GB of free space instead of the usual 60. (I Have a 256GB SDD :P). I free'd up some space, got back to 60GB, and kept editing on After Effects. Day later, I lost 4 GB of space, I'm hopeless. Don't drop me on this one.

Specs: https://www.acer.com/ac/it/IT/content/model/DT.BAPET.030 I know it's in Italian, You can still understand. I hope.

I'm the budget guy.

5 minutes ago, Gusp3h said:

Ok I know that Windows 10 is full of Bloatware but WTH. I don't fully understand what happened, but what I can say is that yesterday I had to turn off my PC, After 2 hours I came back and turned it on, Explorer was showing 40GB of free space instead of the usual 60. (I Have a 256GB SDD :P). I free'd up some space, got back to 60GB, and kept editing on After Effects. Day later, I lost 4 GB of space, I'm hopeless. Don't drop me on this one.

Specs: https://www.acer.com/ac/it/IT/content/model/DT.BAPET.030 I know it's in Italian, You can still understand. I hope.

https://www.howtogeek.com/348635/use-windows-10s-new-free-up-space-tool-to-clean-up-your-hard-drive/

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, RageTester said:

System saving backups? Is it your only drive? Check %tmp% folder

WOAH, That's where my space went! (Yes, It's my only drive)

I'm the budget guy.

Windows 10 likes to download updates to the PC and wait until it decides to update.

There are also temporary files and folders.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Perhaps it has something to do with AE's disk cache. 4GBs of cache from a session seems a bit high but 20GB... eeehhh. 

You can check where the cache is stored and how much is allocated (Edit > Preferences > Media & Disk Cache)

If you have plenty of RAM, you can set up a RAM disk and change temp folder location to it, to save SSD from loads of random writes...

I'm guessing Windows updated to a new build. Whenever it does that, it makes a backup of your old one (which is roughly 20GB) so you can revert if there are any problems. It will get deleted automatically after a few weeks.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

I'm guessing Windows updated to a new build. Whenever it does that, it makes a backup of your old one (which is roughly 20GB) so you can revert if there are any problems. It will get deleted automatically after a few weeks.

Maybe, but I have restore points off. (I like the RISKY life)

I'm the budget guy.

3 minutes ago, RageTester said:

If you have plenty of RAM, you can set up a RAM disk and change temp folder location to it, to save SSD from loads of random writes...

I use this PC for Low Tier gaming tho, will that affect performance?

I'm the budget guy.

5 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Perhaps it has something to do with AE's disk cache. 4GBs of cache from a session seems a bit high but 20GB... eeehhh. 

You can check where the cache is stored and how much is allocated (Edit > Preferences > Media & Disk Cache)

Never thought of that, Thanks!

I'm the budget guy.

1 hour ago, Gusp3h said:

Maybe, but I have restore points off. (I like the RISKY life)

That's unrelated. It's a hidden folder called Windows.old.

If you really want to delete it now, right click on Disk Cleanup and choose Run as Administrator.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440