Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daniel.thang

My friend's crazy plan to build me a custom cooling solution rough sketch. Any Suggestion or tips?

Posted · Original PosterOP

When I told my friend that I was planning to build a PC, he sends me this rough sketch of this crazy idea to build a custom water cooling. I don't know if this is a good idea but I guess I should try it out and see but I'm posting here, to get some opinion and suggest his crazy idea. So technically he trying the method where the copper pipe was used to cool down liquid with ice packs. 

Rest assured I won't use this on New PC that m planning to build but rather on old PC that I have for testing.
My concern is what if we keep ice packs and liquid start to condensate and drop of water start forming around the tubes. Should I use coolant or water?

Don't mind the drawing, I haven't told him that I would be posting here. XD

Temp.jpg

If your friend is going to be in charge of the constant rotation of ice packs then give it a go. I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

10 minutes ago, Daniel.thang said:

ice packs

If the setup is just for the lols, then go for it, but if you actually plan to use it, no. Ice packs are a fucking stupid idea. Also, why is there a reservoir with pump and then another reservoir? That makes literally zero sense.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 hours ago, Daniel.thang said:

When I told my friend that I was planning to build a PC, he sends me this rough sketch of this crazy idea to build a custom water cooling. I don't know if this is a good idea but I guess I should try it out and see but I'm posting here, to get some opinion and suggest his crazy idea. So technically he trying the method where the copper pipe was used to cool down liquid with ice packs. 

Rest assured I won't use this on New PC that m planning to build but rather on old PC that I have for testing.
My concern is what if we keep ice packs and liquid start to condensate and drop of water start forming around the tubes. Should I use coolant or water?

Don't mind the drawing, I haven't told him that I would be posting here. XD

Temp.jpg

So here is the problem. The only thing dropping the temp of the water is the icepacks. The amount of heat that your components will generate underload will cause those packs to melt in little to no time. So you would need to change the packs every half hour or less would be my guess.

The next problem is that those icepacks will be sub-ambient which means depending on the temp and humidity in your house it could cause an issue with condensation.

So the gain of the icepacks is very quickly outweighed by the risks and maintenance required. You would be much better off with a traditional setup or if you still want something sub-ambient that doesn't require extra electricity you could do something like a bong cooler (I think that is what they call them now). It will also require maintenance more often because it relies on evaporation to lower water temps, but it would be more every few days or weeks instead of hours.

Good for short durations. Maybe a test bench. Nothing logical or practical. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 16GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer xG270HU 2560x1440@144hz

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz