CRTs are still good? Sony Trinitron FW900

Pulyx

So, i was watching youtube vids like one does, and the video below came to be via autoplay suggestion.

TThe video covers how they've been rediscovering the advantages of CRT diplays for modern gaming.
Wonder if LTT would do a video to test these out? 

A lot of what they say makes sense, but it's hard for me a -tropical pleb- to judge from watching a video.

Only game I know that still uses them is for Melee but even then they usually prefer a specific brand and model cause they all have horendous consistency for input lag

I thought it was interesting because these professional grade CRTs back then could reach 120hz refresh-rate and already had great contrast/colors, though they can't keep up with modern ones on resolution.
The video argues that on CRTs even on lower resolution games still look great, and running on lower res might let you max out some heavy games like Metro, RTX enabled games, for instance.

Just now, Pulyx said:

I thought it was interesting because these professional grade CRTs back then could reach 120hz refresh-rate and already had great contrast/colors, though they can't keep up with modern ones on resolution.
The video argues that on CRTs even on lower resolution games still look great, and running on lower res might let you max out some heavy games like Metro, RTX enabled games, for instance.

contrast isn't great on crts. Yea on/off contrast is good, but ansi conrast is much worse than almost any lcd.

1 hour ago, Pulyx said:

So, i was watching youtube vids like one does, and the video below came to be via autoplay suggestion.

TThe video covers how they've been rediscovering the advantages of CRT diplays for modern gaming.

A lot of what they say makes sense, but it's hard for me a -tropical pleb- to judge from watching a video.

It is true CRT's beat out most modern panels but when they get a couple more generations into OLED's along with no more burn-in then CRT's are done for.  Not to mention the amount of techs that still have experience working on them are literally dying out, youngest guy in my city that still knows how to fix one is 65 years old lol.

If you want more in-depth coverage on modern day gaming from a gamer who dabbles deeply into tech I suggest checking out EposVox on youtube, fantastic dude with a great way of putting things into perspective.  He also still actively plays and streams on a CRT.

They always were better than LCDs though, especially for motion clarity for fast games CRTs are still better. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

12 hours ago, Pulyx said:

If u manage to find a FW900 then yes most certainly worth it. However those particular models are incredibly rare, and very expensive nowadays, ur unlikely to find one.

None the less the point still stands, YES CRTs are certainly still worth while. No LCD can do what a 'good' CRT can do, produce a fast image without loosing image quality.

The only things CRT are missing are technologies created since their phasing out. E.G variable refresh rate. That and CRT monitors topped out at 22" screen size. 22" is small by today's standard, by huge back then considering most people were running 15" to 17" displays.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

14 hours ago, Pulyx said:

Some CRT monitors can do resolutions higher than 1440p resolutions and will probably look as good as 4K.

The reason I use a CRT for gaming is because everything looks beautiful and movement in games is smooth with no motion blur. If you can pick up a good CRT for cheap or free it can be a good alternative to having to buy an expensive display for gaming. 

I found one of my monitors (the Gatway VX900) in the trash and after some cleaning and tinkering to get the contrast and white levels good enough by eye, the gaming video watching experience was far better than most LCDs that I have seen. Also, some CRT monitors can be overclocked to very high refresh rates, hell I have pushed my Gateway VX900 to 175Hz, at a lower resolution of course but still awesome.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

13 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

They always were better than LCDs though, especially for motion clarity for fast games CRTs are still better. 

Always better? That depends on how you define better.

7 hours ago, beavo451 said:

Always better? That depends on how you define better.

Yeah, for motion clarity they're better than LCDs. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |