CPU cooling!

James N.

Help select a CPU cooler for me. I have narrowed it down to only two choices.  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you chose?

• ASUS ROG Ryujin 360
    • NZXT Kraken Z73 360

I'm building a new system and I was wondering if you would like to help me choose this part. This will be on top of an i9-9900k connected to an Asus Max XI Code. If I can ever get my hands on one.

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

arent these cpu coolers?

anyway.. I would get neither

Yeah, you caught me in the middle of correcting that. Why do you chose neither?

I'm surprised you even give Asus a chance when they screw over Z390 Maximus boards so bad.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I'd lean toward 280mm.  You can estimate about 9% less surface area on the 280mm than the 360mm assuming all else equal, but you can get fatter 280s.  A fatter 280mm with good fin density has one less moving part, fits in more cases (unless you have one of the rare cases that just doesn't do 140mm fans period), and it's generally easier to work with.  Also consider the general rule that the bigger the fan the better the performance at the same RPM.  So a pair of 140mm static pressure fans generally gives better results than three 120mm static pressure fans when tuning for noise. 

20 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I'm surprised you even give Asus a chance when they screw over Z390 Maximus boards so bad.

What do you mean?

2 hours ago, James N. said:

What do you mean?

Power delivery for the CPU (VRM) on the Hero, Code and Formula is only 2/3 of that Gigabyte used on their Z390 Elite, and you can see how much cheaper that board is tho it also lost a lot of features like USB and networking. Since 9900k is very power hungry, this leads to a temperature problem on the supposedly high end (and they do charge you like a high end product) Maximus series (except the Formula because it has a waterblock you can use, but it's totally unnecessary if Asus spent 1/10 the cost of the waterblock on a bigger VRM). Gene and Extreme suffer less to a point where the number sounds better than it actually helps in performance, but they cost even more than the Hero, Code and Formula so that didn't make them sound any better.

tl;dr there are only 2 boards worth considering among Z390 Maximus XI boards, the Gene (because mATX, and 2 DIMM slot design helps with memory overclocking) and the Apex ( meant for extreme overclocking and overbuilt in every way). The others are all overpriced garbage people buy for the ROG branding.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

15 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Power delivery for the CPU (VRM) on the Hero, Code and Formula is only 2/3 of that Gigabyte used on their Z390 Elite, and you can see how much cheaper that board is tho it also lost a lot of features like USB and networking. Since 9900k is very power hungry, this leads to a temperature problem on the supposedly high end (and they do charge you like a high end product) Maximus series (except the Formula because it has a waterblock you can use, but it's totally unnecessary if Asus spent 1/10 the cost of the waterblock on a bigger VRM). Gene and Extreme suffer less to a point where the number sounds better than it actually helps in performance, but they cost even more than the Hero, Code and Formula so that didn't make them sound any better.

tl;dr there are only 2 boards worth considering among Z390 Maximus XI boards, the Gene (because mATX, and 2 DIMM slot design helps with memory overclocking) and the Apex ( meant for extreme overclocking and overbuilt in every way). The others are all overpriced garbage people buy for the ROG branding.

So, what mobo would you suggest. It needs to have three pcie slots and lga 1151. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

1 minute ago, James N. said:

So, what mobo would you suggest. It needs to have three pcie slots and lga 1151. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

If you can afford the Code, the MSI Ace, Asrock Taichi and Gigabyte Aorus Master should be within budget easily. Not sure if MSI Godlike, Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme and Asrock Phantom X (unlike the Godlike and Xtreme, it's only a feature set upgrade over the Taichi) fits in the budget.

Desktop benching:

whatever isn't asetek pumps.  Too many of the same pumps being....pumped...out *badoom-tish*.  In the end it's gimmicks and the real cooling performance is fin density combined with fan performance.  

I went with the cooler master rl360 rgb rad and ditched the fans for some be quiet silent wings 3 high speeds (non-pwm as the pwm have issues with some controllers in relation to their RPM's).  Have never been happier considering I have also used a custom loop with EK rads and push/pull vardar fans.

Only downside is I can't have my own replacement pumps should it fail (without tube cutting) or my own water temp gauge, but I am happy none the less.  But if youre looking at those AIO's you should be seriously considering a custom loop for the price or possibly looking at the successor to the MLC phoenix from EK when they disclose more info.

Just for the record. I have absolutely no intention of overclocking my components. I currently have a 12 year old HP Pavilion Notebook with an i7-6500U rated at 2.5 GHz. However I got the lucky chip I guess cause this one normally runs @ 3.1 GHz without anything done to enhance it. Building a new system for me is upgrade enough so, no need to overclock. *All settings will be set to auto. I'm considering liquid cooling for the whole system. I'm just not sure if I want to deal with all the maintenance. Also, with liquid cooling I will be worried about leakage destroying my system.

31 minutes ago, James N. said:

Just for the record. I have absolutely no intention of overclocking my components. I currently have a 12 year old HP Pavilion Notebook with an i7-6500U rated at 2.5 GHz. However I got the lucky chip I guess cause this one normally runs @ 3.1 GHz without anything done to enhance it. Building a new system for me is upgrade enough so, no need to overclock. *All settings will be set to auto. I'm considering liquid cooling for the whole system. I'm just not sure if I want to deal with all the maintenance. Also, with liquid cooling I will be worried about leakage destroying my system.

If you want air cooling I suggest a case that would accomodate a decent air cooler like the fractal meshify S2 or the h500 mesh variants from cooler master.  These accommodate decent tower coolers like the noctua NH-D15, if however you prefer smaller cases then the NH-U12A may also suit your needs.  But I would highly recommend not leaving voltage on auto unless the board is known to not crank up the voltage.

If you want water cooling and can ONLY decide between those 2 pumps, go with the one that has the best warranty, you want a warranty that will cover components should a leak occur.  Not saying it will but pressure outside of and inside the AIO can cause a leak plus even though the factory's they are made in are fantastic and stringent, They aren't infallible or they themselves would not have insurance to cover them.

I would also look at the pump life and maybe weigh that up when comparing the warranty between the 2 as when a pump dies out of warranty the aio is just a paperweight.  I had a corsair h series die on me inside of warranty and they still didn't honor it even though all i did was install it and leave it haha.  

But yeah don't go for the gimmicks, go for the one that has the best warranty, least gimmicks and has decent reviews to back it up that were written up by credible sources that do thorough testing that have minimal margins of error such as publications like gamer's nexus.  Too many times I see new places/people popping up posting results that look great on paper until you find out they did not have climate control which immediately throws out any results they got when comparing thermal products.

Also don't take into account the fan lifespan, they usually outlast the pump and if you get a dud of the 3 (it's a 360 so I am assuming both come with 3) just buy a new one and the other 2 with keep you going until the replacement arrives.  

Oh and if you do look at other 360's, if you set your eyes on the new cooler master ARGB 360 make sure to get other fans, the DB may be low but the pitch/tone of those fans are HORRENDOUS, I have replaced them in less than 2 weeks because it whined more than my mrs when I whip out the credit card before walking into our local micro center.

3 minutes ago, Tweedilderp said:

If you want air cooling I suggest a case that would accomodate a decent air cooler like the fractal meshify S2 or the h500 mesh variants from cooler master.  These accommodate decent tower coolers like the noctua NH-D15, if however you prefer smaller cases then the NH-U12A may also suit your needs.  But I would highly recommend not leaving voltage on auto unless the board is known to not crank up the voltage.

If you want water cooling and can ONLY decide between those 2 pumps, go with the one that has the best warranty, you want a warranty that will cover components should a leak occur.  Not saying it will but pressure outside of and inside the AIO can cause a leak plus even though the factory's they are made in are fantastic and stringent, They aren't infallible or they themselves would not have insurance to cover them.

I would also look at the pump life and maybe weigh that up when comparing the warranty between the 2 as when a pump dies out of warranty the aio is just a paperweight.  I had a corsair h series die on me inside of warranty and they still didn't honor it even though all i did was install it and leave it haha.  

But yeah don't go for the gimmicks, go for the one that has the best warranty, least gimmicks and has decent reviews to back it up that were written up by credible sources that do thorough testing that have minimal margins of error such as publications like gamer's nexus.  Too many times I see new places/people popping up posting results that look great on paper until you find out they did not have climate control which immediately throws out any results they got when comparing thermal products.

Also don't take into account the fan lifespan, they usually outlast the pump and if you get a dud of the 3 (it's a 360 so I am assuming both come with 3) just buy a new one and the other 2 with keep you going until the replacement arrives.  

The case is one piece of the puzzle I have already purchased. I have the CoolMaster H500M. Excellent airflow. I also have the psu. I purchased the Asus Thor 850w. I based that decision on the fact that it shows how many watts it is using. I liked that. I still have lots of time to way the rest of my options. Thank you for your reply.

5 minutes ago, Tweedilderp said:

Oh and if you do look at other 360's, if you set your eyes on the new cooler master ARGB 360 make sure to get other fans, the DB may be low but the pitch/tone of those fans are HORRENDOUS, I have replaced them in less than 2 weeks because it whined more than my mrs when I whip out the credit card before walking into our local micro center.

Fan noise was a consideration that I was looking at. That is why I was thinking about the Asus since it uses Noctua fans.

I have the h500m its a GREAT case and I use a 360 in it.  Temps on my high overclock 8700k never break 70c youll be happy with your purchase.  Noctua fans are great and the lifespan is great as well.  Only fans I can compare them to for cooling and acoustics are the be quiet silent wings.  Let us know how the build goes, Always a good feeling on that first boot-up.

Unfortunately, it's going to be a while before I have everything I need for this system. I can only afford one piece per month. Bills come before toys, what ever is left goes to parts if possible. I will try to keep you & everyone up to date on my progress. Thanks again for your help. It is very much appreciated.

7 hours ago, James N. said:

I'm building a new system and I was wondering if you would like to help me choose this part. This will be on top of an i9-9900k connected to an Asus Max *XI Code. If I can ever get my hands on one.

*Yes, I had to edit this cause I keep getting the Roman numbers wrong and keep writing VI instead of XI. Doh!