Windows 10 KB4532693 Update Bug Loads Wrong Profile

Syaoran

Reports are coming in that the Windows 10 KB4532693 cumulative update is loading an incorrect user profile and causing the user's desktop and Start Menu to be reset to default.

On February 11th, Microsoft released the Windows 10 v1909 and v1903 KB4532693 cumulative update as part of their February Patch Tuesday updates.

Since then, reports are starting to come in that after installing the update, some users state that their normal user profile is missing, their desktop files are missing, and everything was reset to default.

Based on the reports by affected users, it appears that a bug in the KB4532693 update is loading up a temporary profile to be used during the update process and failing to restore the user's profile when done.

The good news is that the update is not wiping your data, but rather renaming the original user profile in the C:\Users folder. If you are affected by this issue, you can look in C:\Users and see if you have a renamed profile ending in .000 or .bak.

Source: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-kb4532693-update-bug-hides-user-data-loads-wrong-profile/

I saw this update in my 'Windows Update' queue and I had to google it to make sure there wasn't any issues with it before installing.

Good thing we can pause updates by using "Pause for 7 days". If you don't do this already, you should, just in case a "broken" update gets installed without you knowing.

Also, make sure to have backups of any important files in another SSD/HDD drive, USB, or in the cloud. I learned this the hard way a few months ago.

Spoiler

First time posting in Tech News, please don't yell at me if I did something wrong.

Good to know.  Just checked and I already have that update but with no issues, so I suppose I'm in the clear.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Just checked and I already have that update but with no issues, so I suppose I'm in the clear.

same here, no issues. downloaded and installed last night

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Is there a way to set an automatic timer pause for updates so that the timer starts when the update comes in? Looks like you have to just pause all updates for a set time from the current time and then keep checking and reseting. I thought there was a way to set an auto pause/delay for general updates while allowing critical updates.

5 minutes ago, Vorg said:

Is there a way to set an automatic timer pause for updates so that the timer starts when the update comes in? Looks like you have to just pause all updates for a set time from the current time and then keep checking and reseting. I thought there was a way to set an auto pause/delay for general updates while allowing critical updates.

It requires Windows 10 Pro or better https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026834/windows-10-defer-feature-updates

And they wonder why so many people wanted to stick with Windows 7...

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

Paused my update for 7 days..

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Saw this too late,.. but I have a desktop so,...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 hours ago, Vorg said:

You can delay "Feature updates", which are big jumps like 1903, 1909, etc. for up to a year, and "quality updates" for up to a month on a rolling schedule as you describe, but the problem with the latter is, while it would probably include this particular update, it also includes security patches which I would never advise delaying.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Windows 10 and deleting user files are starting to become synonymous

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 2/14/2020 at 11:58 PM, suicidalfranco said:

Windows 10 and deleting user files are starting to become synonymous

I feel obligated to point out in case it was missed that in this instance it's not deleting them, just moving them to another folder.  Not good but decidedly less severe I would say.

Update: apparently this is no longer true

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

11 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I feel obligated to point out in case it was missed that in this instance it's not deleting them, just moving them to another folder.  Not good but decidedly less severe I would say.

Its still pretty bad, i wonder how many of the devices running win10 has updates disabled permanently.... (After all the faulty updates i would wager a lot of them.)

No issues here though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I disabled auto check on my w7 computer a couple years or so back because it would get stuck checking every time and use 25% of my cpu until I stopped it.

So glad I jumped ship last year. The more and more updates I see having issues. The more and more Im thankful for Linux. Im honestly suprised they havent done anything to improve the quality of their updates. Its almost like they are getting much worse over time. What the hell are they thinking? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

What the hell are they thinking?

Most likely they are betting on their effective monopoly and user laziness to keep them afloat.....

40 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Most likely they are betting on their effective monopoly and user laziness to keep them afloat.....

Which it will, for years to come. I'm also a part of that problem. I've been procrastinating on the "big switch" for years and just never get around to it... Soon... Soon...

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

The only big issues I had about Windows 10 were related to UWP apps not starting, and more recently issues about windows search.

I hope this doesn’t happen at work because it will be definitely annoying

Good thing i don't use Windows 10,Windows went down hill ever since Windows 8.

An OS  that does whatever it wants and has 2 control panels,Windows 10 is just a money grab and an ego booster to the control freaks at micro$oft.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

um this has been around for a while. you have to restart 2 to 5ish times before your user came back. and it always when it shows up is after a update, randomly

5 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Last I checked they dropped to 77 or 78% market share. They used to have a 96% market share back in the day. So........ it seems their bets are not paying off. Apple is eating that market share now and to a lesser extent Linux. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

40 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Last I checked they dropped to 77 or 78% market share. They used to have a 96% market share back in the day. So........ it seems their bets are not paying off. Apple is eating that market share now and to a lesser extent Linux. 

According to netmarketshare its at ~88%, not that it would matter to MS as long as it owns the majority of the market.