Looking for Server Advice

akuani
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
Just now, akuani said:

Hi, thanks for responding.

Yes the price is in USD. To be honest, the company has a lot of work to do with its IT infra since they don't have a "true" IT department until I was hired.

We already have basic networking and the first thing I want to improve is the server.

I am balancing between cost and storage since SSD will be expensive but I will still consider.

Can you recommend a good server to start with? Thanks!

Price out a new dell r540 or r7515. Id get those if possible as there much newer, and should be simmilar in price.

Really try to get ssds, much lower failure rate, simmilar cost as 10k drives, much faster.

ALso id get a boot drive for esxi like a sd card, usb or smal ssd.

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to know if this server is good. You see, we are a medium sized company and we are planning to develop systems that will run and store databases on a primary server. The thing is we don't have one and the company is using a desktop computer as the server. So, to improve the IT infra of the company I have proposed a server upgrade. We are based on the Philippines and I don't know any good computer stores that is also dedicated on selling servers so my fastest bet is to browse alibaba.

The specs of the server is stated below:

HPE Proliant DL380p Gen8

CPU: 2 x E5-2690 V2

RAM 24 x 8GB

STORAGE: 12 x 600GB 10K SAS 2.5inch

RAID CTRL: P420i/2G

PSU: 2 x 500W

Total Price: $3588 + $200 shipping

Note that I am planning to run multiple VMs and a File Server about on this server using the ESXi Hypervisor.

Is this too overkill/"underkill" or can I find a better alternative?

Thanks!

Is that a usd price? I wouldn't pay that much in usd for that, get new for that price.

Why sas drives? Get ssds, better in every way.

Do you have a IT dept or other infracture already?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Is that a usd price? I wouldn't pay that much in usd for that, get new for that price.

Why sas drives? Get ssds, better in every way.

Do you have a IT dept or other infracture already?

Yes the price is in USD. To be honest, the company has a lot of work to do with its IT infra since they don't have a "true" IT department until I was hired.

We already have basic networking and the first thing I want to improve is the server.

I am balancing between cost and storage since SSD will be expensive but I will still consider.

Just now, akuani said:

Price out a new dell r540 or r7515. Id get those if possible as there much newer, and should be simmilar in price.

Really try to get ssds, much lower failure rate, simmilar cost as 10k drives, much faster.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I will check these out. Thanks a lot!