Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kingteeb

Graphics card just set on fire...

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Guys... What do I do?!

 

Long time viewer, first time community member.

 

My graphics card just set on fire. Its an old HIS 7950 iceQ, gets used fairly regularly on and off, but I've been away for work for 4 months. Got back the other day and playing some games for a few hours with 0 issues. Turned it on today and started playing, within about 30 mins it started boot looping. Thought I could smell a slight burnt plastic smell. Opened it up and tried turning it on again...

 

this is what happened::

 https://youtu.be/ToXuJhc0_Ag

Absolutely terrifying! So glad I caught it before leaving the room. Could have burnt my flat down! It was just continuously boot looping and setting on fire!

Where do I go from here? Clearly I need to get rid of the graphics card. The rest of the system seems to boot from onboard graphics, but how can I tell if its safe/not damage in anyway?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It kinda depends. You'd think hardware creators would have fail-safes for such issues (not just the Gpu). If possible test each piece separately. Things like Cpu and storage should be fine. The real question is if it was the Mobo that was the issue (I think not), or if it had subsequent damage from the blaze. 

 

My thoughts.


Give me a quote, I want to hear your opinion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

first of all your RAM is Install Incorrect (sry that boders me XD)

hart to say what cause that short circut, propeply a condensator died or material build up

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Examine the wire. It may have worn through over time due to vibration and then had a path to/from the card.
  • Post photo of the card on that side. People may be able to help determine if a component spontaneously blew (taking it and surrounding components) or if something touched a worn wire.

You'll have to test the rest.

Depends on where the current flowed, if it was too much for too long.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally wouldn’t take a chance with that card after that. I’d replace the card and you should definitely check for damage to the motherboard. That’s quite the issue with your card!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I don't think it has anything to do with the PSU cables. cant see any damage on them at all. The system seems to boot okay without the card in.

 

10 minutes ago, Quadrum said:

I personally wouldn’t take a chance with that card after that. I’d replace the card and you should definitely check for damage to the motherboard. That’s quite the issue with your card!

Yeah, I totally agree. Does not at all seem worth the risk to use this card again. Even if it could in theory be fixed. Totally shocked it actually set on fire!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kingteeb said:

Totally shocked it actually set on fire!

Well that was spectacular. There is small chance that card could be fixed (I’ve seen it before) but like mentioned before I wouldn’t risk it. As of the cause of fire it may be even some dust collected over the time causing short. 


   @Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

                EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

                EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

                EKWB EK Thermosphere 

                EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

                EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

                EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

                EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

                EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

                EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

 

                                          WHIRO

         THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

 

        He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can take the card out, take it apart, and inspect the parts directly to see what may have occurred, and if any damage occurred to the motherboard. That's what I would personally do.


"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kingteeb said:

Guys... What do I do?!

 

Long time viewer, first time community member.

 

My graphics card just set on fire. Its an old HIS 7950 iceQ, gets used fairly regularly on and off, but I've been away for work for 4 months. Got back the other day and playing some games for a few hours with 0 issues. Turned it on today and started playing, within about 30 mins it started boot looping. Thought I could smell a slight burnt plastic smell. Opened it up and tried turning it on again...

 

this is what happened::

 https://youtu.be/ToXuJhc0_Ag

Absolutely terrifying! So glad I caught it before leaving the room. Could have burnt my flat down! It was just continuously boot looping and setting on fire!

Where do I go from here? Clearly I need to get rid of the graphics card. The rest of the system seems to boot from onboard graphics, but how can I tell if its safe/not damage in anyway?

Do not try doing anything with that card again. It's like asking to get yourself burned (in all possible meanings). If it was me, I'd get a new card from Amazon and if nothing goes wrong it means the motherboard is safe. If it goes wrong, return the card, switch motherboard and gpu.

 

PS.: memory ram is installed wrong. You should have 1 slot ram, 1 slot free, 1 slot ram, 1 slot free, or it won't run in dual channel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Do not try doing anything with that card again. It's like asking to get yourself burned (in all possible meanings). If it was me, I'd get a new card from Amazon and if nothing goes wrong it means the motherboard is safe. If it goes wrong, return the card, switch motherboard and gpu.

 

PS.: memory ram is installed wrong. You should have 1 slot ram, 1 slot free, 1 slot ram, 1 slot free, or it won't run in dual channel.

Can't really afford to replace the GPU at the moment. Will start saving. Could use one from my flatmates desktop and see if the system runs smoothly. Think theres any chance of that getting damaged? Really don't think it had anything to do with the PSU, but i guess you never iknow?

 

Also, thanks for the tip. Have reinstalled the ram :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a failed capacitor on the supply rail, it has likely been failing for a while and has shorted internally. It will be a small surface mount ceramic cap, I had this happen and just removed the offending component. Worked fine until the adjacent one failed too. Still using that card in a test machine several years on.

 

The rest of the system will likely be fine :)


Probably banned for disagreeing

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

This is a failed capacitor on the supply rail, it has likely been failing for a while and has shorted internally. It will be a small surface mount ceramic cap, I had this happen and just removed the offending component. Worked fine until the adjacent one failed too. Still using that card in a test machine several years on.

 

The rest of the system will likely be fine :)

This comfirm what you thought? Just got some time to take the cooler off and midplate (I think thats what its called?) Thought people would be interested. Check out the damage!

IMG_20200215_133100.jpg

IMG_20200215_132729.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×