Headset or headphones?

snoopunit

I'm looking for decent quality wireless solution to replace my turtle beach headset. 

Ideally, I want something that's comfortable to wear for 4-5 hours, sounds decent, has bluetooth, and doesnt require batteries.

My budget is about $100 USD

My new Note 10+ has no headphone Jack and I would like something that I can use between my pc and phone seamlessly. Either headset with detachable mic or headphones with a clip on wireless mic.

Currently looking at the Steelseries Arctis 3 Bluetooth, but I dont think the mic comes off.

Is there a better site to search for headsets besides amazon/newegg? 

21 minutes ago, snoopunit said:

My new Note 10+ has no headphone Jack and I would like something that I can use between my pc and phone seamlessly. Either headset with detachable mic or headphones with a clip on wireless mic.

Currently looking at the Steelseries Arctis 3 Bluetooth, but I dont think the mic comes off.

Is there a better site to search for headsets besides amazon/newegg? 

If you want something like that, you're better off with a USB-C headset. Bluetooth in "headset" mode will be pretty terrible quality, bluetooth in general is very bad for audio no matter how expensive your headset is.

I'm not sure if any quality headset would allow you to remove the microphone because the microphone has to work with the echo cancellation hardware, so other than a USB headset that has a second USB port on it for the microphone, or an analog headset with a 3.5mm jack for the microphone, that's probably not going to be a thing. 

I've actually been super-disappointed in headphone offerings intended for PC/Console use, many of them are cheaply designed with the worst after-thought microphones ever designed ( seriously? 100–6500 Hz ?)

It's fine if you want a detachable microphone ( see https://steelseries.com/gaming-accessories/arctis-1-microphone ) , but they're designed for specific models ( eg https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-1-wireless )

That steelseries 1 looks like it has decent speakers, but the microphone is terrible. The Pro model (That costs 6 times as much) has better speakers and microphone, but is still Bluetooth (4.1). Headsets need to support aptX and the Steelseries headsets do not.

eg https://bluetoothcheck.com/a/steelseries-arctis-pro-wireless/bowers-wilkins-px

If you want to compare headsets, that site actually appears to do so. https://bluetoothcheck.com/a?utf8=✓&q[full_name_cont]=&q[brand_id_eq]=&q[accessory_type_id_eq]=&q[codecs_id_eq_all][]=6&commit=Search

HyperX cloud mix, bluetooth, detachable mic, wireless. If you can gather about $20-$30 more. HyperX are the most comfortable headset/headphones I ever used. You can also use modmic for mic, I heard it sounds great.

I've had experience with Astro, Razer, Steelseries, HyperX best in my opinion for you're needs.

First watercooled System

Build Name: Frost

Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 1800R Curved Ultrawide 3440x1440 QD-OLED 157hz 10 bit 0.1ms

Chassis: Lian Li 011 Dynamic EVO w/ 2x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans on the bottom 1x120mm on back exhaust

Top Rad & Fans:  Corsair 54mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair ML Pro RGB Fans

Side Rad & Fans: Corsair 30mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans

Motherboard: Asrock X670E Steel Legend

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D w/ Corsair XC7 RGB Pro w/ Kyrosheet

Memory/RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB DDR5 2x16GB 32GB 6000Mhz

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 4080 TUF w/ EK-Quantum Vector2 Nickel/Plexi & Backplate

Pump/Reservoir: Corsair XD5 RGB

Coolant: EK Mystic Fog

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w G3 w/ custom modmesh black & white cables from cablemod

Boot/OS SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe

WZ/2042 SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Game SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Performance/Editing HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB

Storage HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB

Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition/Razer Mamba

Mouse Mat: Corsair MM700 RGB

Keyboard: Razer Ornata Chroma

Microphone: HyperX Quadcast

Headset: Razer Blackshark v2 Pro

Eyewear/Glasses: Gunnar Optiks Razer FPS

Camera: Razer Kiyo Pro

6 minutes ago, ChaosCGTV said:

HyperX cloud mix, bluettoth, detachable mic, wireless. Ff you can gather about $20-$30 more. HyperX are the most comfortable headset/headphones I ever used.

I've had experience with Astro, Razer, Steelseries, HyperX best in my opinion for you're needs.

You say hyperx is more comfortable than astros?? I might have to try them out. Do you happen to know of any stores that might carry these so I can try them on before I buy?

Just now, snoopunit said:

You say hyperx is more comfortable than astros?? I might have to try them out. Do you happen to know of any stores that might carry these so I can try them on before I buy?

Depending where you're located. Best buy, Microcenter, pak computers. All these usually have them on display for "try out" with audio test.

I like leatherette on the hyperx' much better than fabric to me. I returned astro A50's for cloud mix.

First watercooled System

Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 1800R Curved Ultrawide 3440x1440 QD-OLED 157hz 10 bit 0.1ms

Chassis: Lian Li 011 Dynamic EVO w/ 2x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans on the bottom 1x120mm on back exhaust

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w G3 w/ custom modmesh black & white cables from cablemod

11 minutes ago, Kisai said:

If you want something like that, you're better off with a USB-C headset. Bluetooth in "headset" mode will be pretty terrible quality, bluetooth in general is very bad for audio no matter how expensive your headset is.

I'm not sure if any quality headset would allow you to remove the microphone because the microphone has to work with the echo cancellation hardware, so other than a USB headset that has a second USB port on it for the microphone, or an analog headset with a 3.5mm jack for the microphone, that's probably not going to be a thing. 

I've actually been super-disappointed in headphone offerings intended for PC/Console use, many of them are cheaply designed with the worst after-thought microphones ever designed ( seriously? 100–6500 Hz ?)

It's fine if you want a detachable microphone ( see https://steelseries.com/gaming-accessories/arctis-1-microphone ) , but they're designed for specific models ( eg https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-1-wireless )

That steelseries 1 looks like it has decent speakers, but the microphone is terrible. The Pro model (That costs 6 times as much) has better speakers and microphone, but is still Bluetooth (4.1). Headsets need to support aptX and the Steelseries headsets do not.

eg https://bluetoothcheck.com/a/steelseries-arctis-pro-wireless/bowers-wilkins-px

If you want to compare headsets, that site actually appears to do so. https://bluetoothcheck.com/d?utf8=✓&q[full_name_cont]=&q[brand_id_eq]=&q[codecs_id_eq_all][]=6&q[codecs_id_eq_all][]=2&commit=Search

I never really experienced low quality over Bluetooth, except when I'm using those low quality transmitters in my car. I dont mind average sound quality as long as it's not piss poor with static and such. I think I'm gonna try out the hyperx cloud mix that another user suggested. Thanks for the info though!

2 minutes ago, ChaosCGTV said:

Depending where you're located. Best buy, Microcenter, pak computers. All these usually have them on display for "try out" with audio test.

I like leatherette on the hyperx' much better than fabric to me. I returned astro A50's for cloud mix.

I had the a40s for the longest time. The cloth pads were damn near unnoticeable sometimes in would get up from my pc and completely forget they were on lol.

I'll check my local best buy and see if they have them on display.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, snoopunit said:

I had the a40s for the longest time. The cloth pads were damn near unnoticeable sometimes in would get up from my pc and completely forget they were on lol.

I'll check my local best buy and see if they have them on display.

Thanks

Yeah, it really comes down to personal preference I suppose. Astros are a little expensive for their quality to me.

First watercooled System

8 minutes ago, ChaosCGTV said:

Yeah, it really comes down to personal preference I suppose. Astros are a little expensive for their quality to me.

Yea probably would go with the a50s if they weren't so damn expensive. Only had the a40s at all because someone gave them to me for building a pc lol