Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sl0011

PC freezes, peripherals stop reciving power

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm trying to diagnose the issue. The computer freezes but the fans keep spining. Monitor signal goes out, mouse and keyboard lights go out after that. It's pretty ramdon, I just restart the PC using the button and I can keep using it. The Event Viewer on Windows says something about Kernel Power error. Might it be the PSU or something else? I would like to know for sure. I bought the motherboard used so it could have been bad without me knowing that. Before this motherboard, I had another haswell PC working fine with that PSU.

Edit: All peripherals lose signal or power but the fans keep spining until I press the button to power off the system. It fully restarted itself once, the other 3 times I have to manually do it

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sl0011 said:

Kernel Power error

You may have gotten this issue cuz you had hard reset your pc using the button

It could be the mobo or psu tho, i'd first check the mobo since you said it is used


HI, if you liked what i said then please like

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Srijan Verma said:

You may have gotten this issue cuz you had hard reset your pc using the button

It could be the mobo or psu tho, i'd first check the mobo since you said it is used

How do I check the mobo?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Srijan Verma said:

before that could you share your config?

Ryzen 7 2700
Asrock B450 HDV R4.0
8 GB DDR4 from Oloy (1 stick)
RX 570 MSI
120 GB SDD Team Group
2 TB HDD Seagate
500W PSU from Bequiet (System Power U9)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

Every time it crashes, are you doing something specific?

not really. It have crashed during web broswing, starting desktop, twice a day. Then I use the computer all day long. Playing Dota 2, spotify and Firefox tabs without any issue. Sometimes it doesn't crash, it's pretty random

Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it be your PSU? More specifications of the PSU would be nice. Is your system pulling more then your PSU’s power threshold?


Things I do:

Upgrade Computers

Build Computers

Disassemble Computers

 

My System:

MSI GS65 Stealth

CPU - Intel Core i7-8750H

Memory - 16GB DDR4

Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Storage - 512 GB SSD

Operating System - Windows 10 Home

Headset - Turtle Beach Stealth 420X+

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, sl0011 said:

not really. It have crashed during web broswing, starting desktop, twice a day. Then I use the computer all day long. Playing Dota 2, spotify and Firefox tabs without any issue. Sometimes it doesn't crash, it's pretty random

Run Memtest for ram errors. 


   @Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

                EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

                EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

                EKWB EK Thermosphere 

                EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

                EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

                EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

                EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

                EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

                EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

 

                                          WHIRO

         THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

 

        He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 2/14/2020 at 10:18 PM, Whiro said:

Run Memtest for ram errors. 

Memory seems fine

índice.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 2/14/2020 at 9:58 PM, Samivan911 said:

Could it be your PSU? More specifications of the PSU would be nice. Is your system pulling more then your PSU’s power threshold?

It's a Bequiet 500W system power u9 unit. I highly doubt that capacity is a problem. Crashes happpen normaly when I'm using the broswer but I can play Dota 2 and do demmanding activities withouth any issue. There's still a possibilty that the PSU is failing for other reasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 2/14/2020 at 10:27 AM, Srijan Verma said:

You may have gotten this issue cuz you had hard reset your pc using the button

It could be the mobo or psu tho, i'd first check the mobo since you said it is used

I just understood what you meant. Yes, the Kernel Power error might be because I'm forcing the shutdown

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sl0011 said:

I just understood what you meant. Yes, the Kernel Power error might be because I'm forcing the shutdown

Anything overclocked?


HI, if you liked what i said then please like

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
16 hours ago, Srijan Verma said:

Anything overclocked?

I have the XMP profile activated for the memory but I've run a memtest86 and it passed, I don't know anyother way to test for memory errors. In the CPU site, I actually have SMT off and a little undervolt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You could fix it with a USB killer

 

Spoiler

Do not attempt.

 


Things I do:

Upgrade Computers

Build Computers

Disassemble Computers

 

My System:

MSI GS65 Stealth

CPU - Intel Core i7-8750H

Memory - 16GB DDR4

Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Storage - 512 GB SSD

Operating System - Windows 10 Home

Headset - Turtle Beach Stealth 420X+

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Samivan911 said:

You could fix it with a USB killer

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Do not attempt.

 

Knowledge is power

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 5:21 PM, sl0011 said:

I'm trying to diagnose the issue. The computer freezes but the fans keep spining. Monitor signal goes out, mouse and keyboard lights go out after that. It's pretty ramdon, I just restart the PC using the button and I can keep using it. The Event Viewer on Windows says something about Kernel Power error. Might it be the PSU or something else? I would like to know for sure. I bought the motherboard used so it could have been bad without me knowing that. Before this motherboard, I had another haswell PC working fine with that PSU.

Edit: All peripherals lose signal or power but the fans keep spining until I press the button to power off the system. It fully restarted itself once, the other 3 times I have to manually do it

  Check if you don't have any overclocks that might be screwing with stability. Also, Even Viewer will always give errors and warnings regardless if it's relevant or not, so that is not a reliable source for diagnostics.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×