Is the Verge still a reliable source of information ?

Ironbru

Ignoring the swiss army knife PC video, would the verge still be considered reliable for the information they provide. Mistakes are made and maybe it was just a one off.

For news, yeah. Just don't ask them how to build a PC. They are owned by Vox Media, if that bothers you (it does me).

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

As a general tech journalism site they're fine, but their reputation is definitely a little set off balance still from a few little flukes like that and the "foldable laptop"

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Ironbru said:

@aisle9 What is so bad about Vox Media ?

They abuse the YouTube copyright strike system, which has become pretty commonplace these days. They also have a history of fucking over their employees, both regarding unionization and late last year when they laid off hundreds of staff in California to avoid compliance with an unpopular new law.

Basically, as long as you avoid anything by Stefan Etienne (the build guide guy who has proven himself clueless in other articles that require a clue to write), they're as good as anyone else. Just know that you're supporting a sketchy company whenever you view their articles.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

wait, what? o_o

image.png.92948d44d6a2aa4813167a0f27d321fc.png

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

As a general tech journalism site they're fine, but their reputation is definitely a little set off balance still from a few little flukes like that and the "foldable laptop"

To me it's more how they reacted to the criticism. Nobody is perfect, we all make mistakes, but going after experts criticizing them saying they're losers, jealous, or racist ?

To me that's what made me not look at any tech article they've posted since (not kidding, I actively AVOID them).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

@wkdpaul I avoid them too but there "Insulin should be cheap. But its not" video drew me into it

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

To me it's more how they reacted to the criticism. Nobody is perfect, we all make mistakes, but going after experts criticizing them saying they're losers, jealous, or racist ?

To me that's what made me not look at any tech article they've posted since (not kidding, I actively AVOID them).

Just read everything of theirs on a VPN from Romania and an ad blocker turned on :D

2 minutes ago, Ironbru said:

@aisle9 Could you screenshoot it. Talktalk has blocked VPN's for me

Um...there's a lot to screenshot. If you have an ad blocker, it has the same net effect. It just doesn't screw with their metrics in some tiny, special way by making it look like they have random-ass views from Romania. Which is really not even petty revenge, just something funny I like to do.

18 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Just read everything of theirs on a VPN from Romania and an ad blocker turned on :D

Nah, I couldn't care less. If they faced critics like adults, I would still read their articles.

The arrogant attitude they showed shouldn't have any place in journalism, I'm not going to bother going on any article, even if it's through a VPN with adblocker.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I recently watched a video that had Stefan Etienne in it (it was posted before he did the horrible pc build). Just read the comment section; there's hundreds of very similar comments saying how great he is. I watched the video. It's nothing special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG-R87ZG78Q

One more reason I don't fully trust them, seems suspicious that there's so many of the same comment.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

9 hours ago, aisle9 said:

For news, yeah...... They are owned by Vox Media

<content removed by staff> I don´t visit the website but that´s it everytime I hear from the site

Edited by SansVarnic
political content removed

people might hang me for this but i actually like a lot of the verge articles. they are fairly concise and not too wordy and the paragraphs are well organized

29 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Nah, I couldn't care less. If they faced critics like adults, I would still read their articles.

The arrogant attitude they showed shouldn't have any place in journalism, I'm not going to bother going on any article, even if it's through a VPN with adblocker.

I had a rant posted here about the state of journalism and why I changed majors in the mid-2000's to avoid seeing it ruined for me in the real world. I deleted it because that's a topic for a different thread, but there are two trends that drove me away, and both have only gotten worse in the 15 years (holy shit) since I switched back over to my eventual major:

• Commentary as journalism (and vice versa)
  • 8/10 face and 10/10 rack gets a woman New York. 8/10 face and 10/10 writing, reporting and anchoring gets a man Tallahassee.

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

You mean for left wing propanganda. I don´t visit the website but that´s it everytime I hear from the site

hey they got niko on so they cant be too bad though before this video i didnt know much about them LUL

2 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

You mean for left wing propanganda. I don´t visit the website but that´s it everytime I hear from the site

Congratulations, you have just described 75% of the news on the internet.