Buyers remorse of Ryzen Threadripper 3790x vs 3990x

12 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

0G1A0205-Edit.thumb.jpg.1e564e4a7def0fd90f38e8d10534d41d.jpg

It's the Enthoo 719.

Doing ZMT matte black tubing.

Love the black and whit theme. I was thinking of going with white pastel liquid. In any case, I have now fully drtained the loop a total of 7 times and it is not yet finished and stilll has no OS installed.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:03 AM, Den-Fi said:

Whew, that build is a beast.  G.Skill actually just announced their 256GB 3600 CL16 kit.

I have 2x FTW3 Ultra 2080 Tis. I didn't do Hydrocopper blocks as I heard their performance was meh, but I already had the cards. Might have gone w/ the hydros just because they were easier. I HATE the branding on them though, so I was happy with the Vector blocks.

Have you got a link to the 256gb 3600 kit from G.Skill?

Just now, JapanDave said:

Well, I will be getting that when it comes out. But, I am thinking of water cooling some ram  and using ECC ram. What do you think?

Idk that there's much point in ECC unless you have a worthwhile workload.  I also don't see a point to watercooling the RAM. I can't remember the last time I've seen a stick higher than 45C lol.

1 hour ago, Den-Fi said:

Idk that there's much point in ECC unless you have a worthwhile workload.  I also don't see a point to watercooling the RAM. I can't remember the last time I've seen a stick higher than 45C lol.

The only reason to water cool the ram is to get RGB on the waster blocks.

1 minute ago, JapanDave said:

The only reason to water cool the ram is to get RGB on the waster blocks.

Lol, I'm the complete opposite of you. I won't be turning on a single led, except maybe for photos.

Spoiler

0G1A0316-Edit.thumb.jpg.8f8baff23b1b85e4fb169feaefe7db7a.jpg

Just about done. Lost my drain valve, so I can't fill til I get it. Should be here tomorrow though.

I don't see a need for either but had a custom watercooled 2950x before lost the MB.  There are a good amount of multicore situations where I'm getting the same or better on a 3900x!  I've beat my 285W PBO cinebench score for instance, timespy CPU is a few % higher, encoding is faster, etc.  So there will always come a time that something cheaper will be faster.  At the rate of progress right now that isn't that long off either.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

27 minutes ago, ewitte said:

I don't see a need for either but had a custom watercooled 2950x before lost the MB.  There are a good amount of multicore situations where I'm getting the same or better on a 3900x!  I've beat my 285W PBO cinebench score for instance, timespy CPU is a few % higher, encoding is faster, etc.  So there will always come a time that something cheaper will be faster.  At the rate of progress right now that isn't that long off either.

Hmm, Every bench test says otherwise, but what ever floats your boat.

10 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

Lol, I'm the complete opposite of you. I won't be turning on a single led, except maybe for photos.

Reveal hidden contents

0G1A0316-Edit.thumb.jpg.8f8baff23b1b85e4fb169feaefe7db7a.jpg

Just about done. Lost my drain valve, so I can't fill til I get it. Should be here tomorrow though.

I agree on the RGB though I am little sad your radiators are turned so the alphacool logo isn't visible.  That little bit of blue was a nice bit of color.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

41 minutes ago, nick name said:

I agree on the RGB though I am little sad your radiators are turned so the alphacool logo isn't visible.  That little bit of blue was a nice bit of color.

They’re there. I photoshopped them out. 

5 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

They’re there. I photoshopped them out. 

The LIES!

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

17 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

Looking good! Never had RGB, my last build was 8 years ago and at the time it was again bleeding edge technology, which is why I was able to use it at a high level for so long.  I can't wait to get mine finished , but still waiting on some parts, I ran out of fittings.

I bet you are looking forward to seeing how it performs?

20 hours ago, JapanDave said:

Hmm, Every bench test says otherwise, but what ever floats your boat.

Most reviews will show a win in maybe 2/10 of the tests if they even tested both.  Things like encoding, avx, etc were greatly improved with Zen 2.   Here are my highest timespy scores for each the cpu score is 17.6% higher on the 3900x.  My cinebench is 34xx on both of them as well.  Not to say there aren't MORE apps that favor the 2950x just *some* instances that isn't the case.  Which I wasn't really even benefiting from anyway.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/9135178/spy/10594123

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

1 hour ago, ewitte said:

Most reviews will show a win in maybe 2/10 of the tests if they even tested both.  Things like encoding, avx, etc were greatly improved with Zen 2.   Here are my highest timespy scores for each the cpu score is 17.6% higher on the 3900x.  My cinebench is 34xx on both of them as well.  

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/9135178/spy/10594123

You are  comparing a AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X which for one is 2nd gen not third and aligns with your benches. What did you expect?

Cinebench is over 17,000 for the 3970x and for your OC'ed 3900x it is just above 7000. That is 2.3 times the performance, what am I missing here?

Are you getting your CPU's confused?

CPU-Cinebench-R20-nT.jpg

My original post was talking about my old 2950x...  Of course same gen is faster in everything.

2 minutes ago, ewitte said:

My original post was talking about my old 2950x...  Of course same gen is faster in everything.

I am confused , what has that got to do with a Threadripper 3970x or 3990x?

1 hour ago, JapanDave said:

I am confused , what has that got to do with a Threadripper 3970x or 3990x?

I'll go through and delete all my comments when I get a chance not sure where I got it in my head people in any forum actually read what's written...  After like 3 decades I can probably count on my hand the number of times that happened.

EDIT: NVM it will not let me I'll just leave

7 hours ago, ewitte said:

I'll go through and delete all my comments when I get a chance not sure where I got it in my head people in any forum actually read what's written...  After like 3 decades I can probably count on my hand the number of times that happened.

EDIT: NVM it will not let me I'll just leave

Oh, ok I see now. Not to worry.

On 2/15/2020 at 1:45 AM, Den-Fi said:

0G1A0197-Edit.thumb.jpg.ed45ec00170dbad9e7f65bdee87d7c13.jpg

No prob. Currently doing a 3970X build, so anything you want to know, feel free to ask.

Please tell me there is a thread for this PC, to get all the Specs/Pics Ect? I have so many questions! It looks Amazing!

10 minutes ago, Jamos169 said:

Please tell me there is a thread for this PC, to get all the Specs/Pics Ect? I have so many questions! It looks Amazing!

I'm actually writing up a build log as we speak. It'll be posted a bit later today after I get home and power it on for the first time as a filled loop.

2 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

I'm actually writing up a build log as we speak. It'll be posted a bit later today after I get home and power it on for the first time as a filled loop.

Get in! Good man, thank you. Best of luck for first power up :)

On 2/19/2020 at 11:02 AM, Jamos169 said:

Get in! Good man, thank you. Best of luck for first power up :)

Done!

On 2/21/2020 at 5:09 AM, Den-Fi said:

Done!

Did you GPU Error 84 and then Update VGA BIOS error when installing Windows?