What server stuff should I do

FieryGamer

I am looking at building a server for usage with unraid (Maybe?)
If I were to build something, What should I put in it? like things, unraid, freenas, etc. 

Are you asking for hardware recommendations or software recommendations?

What do you intend for the server to do?

10 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Are you asking for hardware recommendations or software recommendations?

What do you intend for the server to do?

That is the problem, I dont know what I want to do with a server if I get one. So both I guess

Just roll crap in a VM until you actually have a use case for a real server.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

6 hours ago, FieryGamer said:

That is the problem, I dont know what I want to do with a server if I get one. So both I guess

Why get a server if you have no use for it?

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Well.. if you think you fancy a server and is not sure what to do with it, off the top of my head I came up with these entertaining activities... :D

1) Run a PLEX server!! Stream all the latest movies to all sorts of devices in the house (or office)

2) Run a decent firewall, Perhaps Suricata running on PFsense.

3) Run a transmission server to download stuff.

4) Run your own cloud filesharing tools such as OwnCloud or NextCloud

5) Run a VPN and route all the mobile devices through the VPN and firewall. Again PFsense I would think with OpenVPN.

I guess as per the OS I would think FreeNAS with jails or proxmox to virtualize all of the above I would think. 

Just my 5 cents!! 

Being someone that bought a used enterprise grade server for cheap... If you don't have a use case for it, don't waste the money. Don't get me wrong...there are lots of fun stuff you can do. And if it's gonna live on the home side (safe side) of your network, that's a bonus. But buying one and creating all sorts of web utilities like a LAMP stack or cloud file server or what not is not a good idea unless you are willing to invest the time needed to, first learn the software you are utilizing inside and out and second, being willing to stay on top of updates and learning the ways these kinds of things are exploited so you can prevent your machine from becoming a botnet. I had all sorts of grand plans but I just don't have the time to learn and keep up with the mountain of knowledge to PROPERLY manage such a thing. You CAN just bang something together following some YouTube video tutorials and you CAN kick it to the dark reaches of a closet somewhere to run on it's own. But you WILL be contributing to the diseased side of the interwebs by doing so. Lab box? Sure. Testing and learning the trades? Absolutely. Base for your your own super cool network you can show off to friends? Whatever floats your boat. But don't create one if you don't create the subsequent need. You can do a lot of what you would do with a server by adding a VM setup to an old POS desktop box and never know the difference.

And that comes from experience. HP Proliant DL380 Gen 7 with Esxi and a dozen VM's..... that do pretty much nothing but consume electricity. Fun. But generally not worth the money.