SVS SB/PB-2000 vs Logitech Z906? How much better?

TommyTwommy
Go to solution Solved by Derkoli,
3 hours ago, berny22 said:

I've decided to go with the A3X & PB-1000. I've only heard good things about them so far. And they will probably fit my desk. Is it a problem if I put them on their side or does it ruin sound quality (I purchased foam pads from thomann in the bundle)?

Do I need any additional equipment or will I be able to connect these 2 and get them to work without any audio interfaces?

Looking at them two, the SVS has line level inputs. So you could do a signal chain like this:

Mayflower Arc RCA output -> SVS PB1000 -> Adam Audio A3X RCA input.

You would just need two pairs of splittable RCA cables to connect this up, a pair like these will do (order two):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D5H8QJG/ref=twister_B01LWPGB6C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I currently own Logitech Z906 speakers. And as I never had anything better and I am not really an audophile they are perfect imo. Recently I've been watching a lot of videos about different speakers, particularly subwoofers.

I've came to the conclusion that the SB/PB-2000 subwoofer from SVS was the best choice for my budget. And a good runner up (alternative) would be the Klipsch R-120SW.

Since I've never built a speaker setup from scratch myself, but rather only bought plug and play setups like the Z906 from Logitech I was wondering what else do I need to make a complete setup? I was going to get the Prime Satellite from SVS.

Only thing I need now is an AMP/DAC to power these.

My questions are:

• What amp/dac should I get?

• Do I need an amp/dac for my woofer, or is the built in AMP/DAC fine and I just need to send the audio signal to it?

• How much better is this setup compared to my current Z906? Will I notice a difference?

• Should I get the PB or the SB model? And what is the difference between the two? Help me pick.

Notes:

• I am a basshead, so deep, strong and rich bass is most important to me

• This will be used on my pc desk and connected to my pc to listen to music, watch movies, play games, etc.

CPU & COOLER - INTEL i9 12900K | NZXT KRAKEN X62

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

GPU - ASUS GEFORCE RTX 3080 TUF

RAM - 2x16GB KINGSTON FURY 3200MHZ

PSU - PHANTEKS REVOLT PRO 1000W 80 PLUS GOLD

SSD #1 - CORSAIR SN850 1TB

SSD #2 - CORSAIR SN850X 4TB

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

CASE - PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P500A D-RGB

MOUSE #1 - LOGITECH G502 X Wireless

KEYBOARD - AKKO 5108B PLUS

SPEAKERS - SVS PB-1000 + 2x ADAM A3X

HEADSET #1 - SENNHEISER IE-300

HEADSET #2 - FOSTEX TR-X00 PURPLEHREART

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

DISPLAY 2 - XIAOMI 2K GAMING

PHONE - SAMSUNG GALAXY S23+ 

You're getting into the world of expensive hobbies now.

The SVS ?B-2000 is self powered. Nearly all modern theater subwoofers are. You need to send a line level input through the LFE on a receiver, or this particular plate amp looks like it can handle high level inputs from an amp directly and it will filter the low frequencies.

You will need to invest in some sort of a receiver when you buy the speakers. I would recommend keeping it simple and making sure it has RCA inputs.

A set up from SVS is night and day difference compared to anything from Logitech. But you have to wonder when to stop... This can become a very expensive hobby.

The Klipsch subwoofers are a joke. Stay away from them. I know Linus had a video sponsored by them. But no. There are better ways to spend the money. They sound good until you hear anything else at the same price levels from companies who have less overhead (SVS, PowerSoundAudio, Hsu, JTR).

You're a bass head. You should go with the ported subwoofer. They can be a bit less forgiving unfortunately with placement and tuning, but they are great fun when they are set up properly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phghkPEdrRo

Rant about surround sound on PC:

The complications become unmanageable on PC if you plan to do a surround sound thing. HDMI is your best option when you introduce a receiver and subwoofer. And then you get into issues with higher resolutions and high refresh rates and you will be looking at $1,000 receivers just so it has enough stickers on it to support the latest AV craze. And your next post is going to be "I can't hear sound from my surround speakers." You won't until you feed it the proper signal - which is very difficult to find. None of the streaming services support surround sound on PC. Web browsers don't even support surround sound at all. Audio is only 2 channels. It's an absolute mess. Keep it to stereo sound with a subwoofer and your life will be much easier.

Was in a similar situation back a few years ago so picked up a Denon AVR-x2400H receiver and a new Sub, I then used the Logitech speakers for a bit until a picked up a full atmos setup a few months later.

The Denon can do 4k @60htz and basically runs my second monitor but this lets the sound go out from the PC to the receiver just fine and my main monitor i use fir gaming is just directly plugged into the graphics card. :) But as above most of streaming services dont support surround sound in anyway via a web browser.. The Netflix app for Windows 10 does but I think that is about it.

Still games that actually have a decent surround sound set up sound amazing and then I use an Xbox One S as a media system for everything else.

Tell you the truth I dont think I would ever go back to a standard PC surround system.. its expensive to get into for sure but once you have a decent setup it can be used for many things not just the PC

3 hours ago, JohnT said:

You're getting into the world of expensive hobbies now.

But you have to wonder when to stop... This can become a very expensive hobby.

This is very true. I wonder if it is even worth the money. I remember when I bought the Z906 I was alredy thinking I cashed out a shitload of money. Now I'm considering purchasing a subwoofer thats costs double my whole current setup.

3 hours ago, JohnT said:

You will need to invest in some sort of a receiver when you buy the speakers.

I will not be purchasing a whole AV receiver, but I will use my current headphone amp as passthrough. Apparently that is enough for my needs. The amp/dac in question is the Mayflower Arc and it does have RCA output. The Z906 I have now are connected that way.

3 hours ago, JohnT said:

The Klipsch subwoofers are a joke. Stay away from them.

Yeah, I was gonna go with SVS, I've heard they are one of the best.

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

8 hours ago, berny22 said:

I wonder if it is even worth the money.

You really need to answer this because you're talking about spending a lot of money and complicating your life and your setup A LOT. I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud here... I've just over spent on AV gear and it's really hard to stop once you start.

8 hours ago, berny22 said:

I will not be purchasing a whole AV receiver, but I will use my current headphone amp as passthrough.

Hmm?? Usually this reduces your DAC/amp to just a DAC, and it feeds a line level output to a separate amplifier. And essentially your Arc becomes a pre-amplifier. The signal it delivers to speakers will not be enough for your to hear anything without a separate amplifier.

Ever considered a set of semi-high end active speakers? Take a look at the KEF LSX. It's a great balance. The sound quality is well above the Logitech, and it will let you add a separate subwoofer if you really want.

On 2/15/2020 at 4:15 AM, JohnT said:

The signal it delivers to speakers will not be enough for your to hear anything without a separate amplifier.

I would use a set of active monitors that have a sub output.. or use the subwoofer as a passthrough to the active monitors.. depends on which monitors I decide to pick.

The headphone dac would only be used to passthrough the audio signal from my PC and filter out the noise that it usually comes with..

On 2/15/2020 at 4:15 AM, JohnT said:

You really need to answer this because you're talking about spending a lot of money and complicating your life and your setup A LOT. I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud here... I've just over spent on AV gear and it's really hard to stop once you start.

Yeah, thats why I'm gonna take some time to think about it. I don't really thing it would necessarily complicate my life.. Building setups, connecting speakers, amps, dac is a lot of fun. Although this would be a huge step up since I've never used banana or xlr plugs and I've never had so many passthroughs and connections for a 2.1 setup.

This is strictly for listening to music and sometimes watching a movie on my PC, so I don't anything complicated like a 7.1 dolby movie theater with room correction and correct speaker placement.

The kef lsxs are way out of my budget btw. I wouldn't spend more than $500 on a pair of monitors currently. I don't really care about anything else but the lows really. I'm completely fine with how the Z906 mids and highs sound. So that just goes to tell you how bad my "hearing" is. Or maybe I just never heard anything better so I wouldn't really know how bad they are.

I was aiming for one of these 3: Adam A3X, Audioengine A5+, JBL 305P

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

13 hours ago, berny22 said:

I was aiming for one of these 3: Adam A3X, Audioengine A5+, JBL 305P

As you are getting a subwoofer, I would get the Adam A3X's out of those. I love my Adam's, and as the A3X's have the smaller woofers they will deal with mid's a bit better, as the driver is easier to control as it has less mass. Plus the ribbon tweeters on Adam's sound amazing.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

1 hour ago, Derkoli said:

As you are getting a subwoofer, I would get the Adam A3X's out of those. I love my Adam's, and as the A3X's have the smaller woofers they will deal with mid's a bit better, as the driver is easier to control as it has less mass. Plus the ribbon tweeters on Adam's sound amazing.

I've decided to go with the A3X & PB-1000. I've only heard good things about them so far. And they will probably fit my desk. Is it a problem if I put them on their side or does it ruin sound quality (I purchased foam pads from thomann in the bundle)?

Do I need any additional equipment or will I be able to connect these 2 and get them to work without any audio interfaces?

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

3 hours ago, berny22 said:

Looking at them two, the SVS has line level inputs. So you could do a signal chain like this:

You would just need two pairs of splittable RCA cables to connect this up, a pair like these will do (order two):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D5H8QJG/ref=twister_B01LWPGB6C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

11 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Will this setup on the image work? This is only way it made sense to me. I have tons of RCA cables and ordered more just in case.

Also what are the "High level speaker output" ports for? Are they for connecting passive speakers directly?

connection_2.jpg

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

7 hours ago, berny22 said:

Will this setup on the image work? This is only way it made sense to me. I have tons of RCA cables and ordered more just in case.

Also what are the "High level speaker output" ports for? Are they for connecting passive speakers directly?

connection_2.jpg

The high level speaker outputs are for people that use just a 2.0 amplifier and want to add a subwoofer. So you don't need to worry about them.

The "Stereo link" connections are so one speaker essentially becomes the "master" so if you adjust the volume on the master, it also adjusts the volume on the other speaker.

If your Mayflower ARC has variable RCA outputs (Can control the volume of them) then you won't need to use "Stereo link" as all the volume control can be done with the Mayflower ARC.

That Diagram is correct BTW :)

8 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Mayflower ARC has variable RCA outputs (Can control the volume of them)

Unfortunately it doesn't. So what does this mean? Will I have to separately adjust volume for subwoofer and monitors every time? Or will one control the other? Is the line level  RCA output on the subwoofer variable just like on the ARC?

God it would really suck if I'll have to stick my hand behind the woofer and adjust its volume everytime.

Guess I should've ordered the interface thingy :( I was suggested the Mackee Big Knob Studio..

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

15 hours ago, berny22 said:

Unfortunately it doesn't. So what does this mean? Will I have to separately adjust volume for subwoofer and monitors every time? Or will one control the other? Is the line level  RCA output on the subwoofer variable just like on the ARC?

God it would really suck if I'll have to stick my hand behind the woofer and adjust its volume everytime.

Guess I should've ordered the interface thingy :( I was suggested the Mackee Big Knob Studio..

Well, you could do this signal chain instead:

Mayflower ARC -> RCA Pre-amp -> SVS Subwoofer -> Adam Audio A3X's.

For a pre-amp, any simple one will do, You'll just need another pair of RCA cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Precision-Passive-Controller-Preamplifier/dp/B07GRLV7XG/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=nobsound+preamp&qid=1582050123&sr=8-7

5 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Well, you could do this signal chain instead:

Mayflower ARC -> RCA Pre-amp -> SVS Subwoofer -> Adam Audio A3X's.

For a pre-amp, any simple one will do, You'll just need another pair of RCA cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Precision-Passive-Controller-Preamplifier/dp/B07GRLV7XG/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=nobsound+preamp&qid=1582050123&sr=8-7

Oh thats cool. Didn't know about these. Thanks!

Unfortunately I can't order these in my country :(

Is there anything similar to this in https://www.thomann.de/

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

49 minutes ago, berny22 said:

Oh thats cool. Didn't know about these. Thanks!

Unfortunately I can't order these in my country :(

Is there anything similar to this in https://www.thomann.de/

Well, on that website the cheapest decently high quality one would be the Mackie Big Knob, but you'll have to convert between RCA and TRS.

https://www.thomann.de/gr/mackie_big_knob_passive.htm

I can't actually find any of the proper converters on that website unfortunatley, They do a stereo version, but you need four mono RCA/Cinch to TRS converters.

46 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Well, on that website the cheapest decently high quality one would be the Mackie Big Knob, but you'll have to convert between RCA and TRS.

https://www.thomann.de/gr/mackie_big_knob_passive.htm

I can't actually find any of the proper converters on that website unfortunatley, They do a stereo version, but you need four mono RCA/Cinch to TRS converters.

Wait TS or TRS? Mono RCA -> TRS? Isn't TRS stereo. I'm so confused.

And why four converters? Wouldn't it be just two for the output. I can do input with the RCA (from ARC) -> 3.5mm Line in.

Do I need something like this?

image.thumb.png.58629aa8661160a6e9b4d39f625342ee.png

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

3 minutes ago, berny22 said:

Wait TS or TRS? Mono RCA -> TRS? Isn't TRS stereo. I'm so confused.

Do I need something like this?

image.thumb.png.58629aa8661160a6e9b4d39f625342ee.png

Well, TRS is mono.

Tip
Ring (little plastic thing)
Sleeve

1 minute ago, Derkoli said:

Well, TRS is mono.

Tip
Ring (little plastic thing)
Sleeve

Oh I thought TS was mono and TRS stereo. So which cable do I need. The one I've sent previously or the one I'm sending now. Or a third one?

image.thumb.png.e2905b51eeb5b36390fc0d49e130f08c.png

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

Just now, berny22 said:

Oh I thought TS was mono and TRS stereo. So which cable do I need. The one I've sent previously or the one I'm sending now. Or a third one?

image.thumb.png.e2905b51eeb5b36390fc0d49e130f08c.png

That cable is the correct one :)

Just buy two of them, one for the DAC to the controller, then one for the controller to the subwoofer.

That cable is the correct one :)

Just buy two of them, one for the DAC to the controller, then one for the controller to the subwoofer.

Oh so I'm not gonna connect the monitors to the subwoofer anymore? Both connect to the interface?

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

Just now, berny22 said:

Oh so I'm not gonna connect the monitors to the subwoofer anymore? Both connect to the interface?

You'll still connect the monitors to the subwoofer.

DAC -> Mackie Big Knob -> Subwoofer -> Monitors

You'll still connect the monitors to the subwoofer.

DAC -> Mackie Big Knob -> Subwoofer -> Monitors

Alright. Do I have to use the RCA -> TS for DAC -> Mackie Big Knob though? I see that there's a 3.5mm input as well as the TS one

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

9 minutes ago, berny22 said:

Alright. Do I have to use the RCA -> TS for DAC -> Mackie Big Knob though? I see that there's a 3.5mm input as well as the TS one

You could do the 3.5mm input if you wanted to.

4 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

You could do the 3.5mm input if you wanted to.

Ok thanks. I guess that is all the help I'll need. I'll purchase the interface if I don't like how it works out for me without the interface. Thank you once again for all the help!

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

Just now, berny22 said:

Ok thanks. I guess that is all the help I'll need. I'll purchase the interface if I don't like how it works out for me without the interface. Thank you once again for all the help!

No problem :)

If you have any more questions, you can always ask :)