Chiipo

First, here are my PC specs.

Ryzen 2700x

MSI rtx2080 gaming x trio

Crosshair Hero Vii (no wifi)

16Gb 3200 Mhz Corsair RGB vengeance pro

EVGA 750G3

Viewsonic XG240R (1920x1080)

I will try to highlight what I consider important as well as a TL;DR at the end since I plan to be thorough in my explanation. 

History

I have had the PC for 8 months. It is the first PC I ever built, however I haven't had any problems with it outside of this. Assuming this is a "problem" and not something that affects more people than me.

"Problem"

While this is my first PC and I am enjoying it immensely, I always feel like I am lacking a little performance. Especially for the money I spent on it even after considering the performance per dollar of something like the 2080. For example, in Rust I get around 80 fps on some maps with low-mid settings at 1080p. Even though I saw reviews of a similar pc (2700x and rtx 2080) getting around the same performance on a higher resolution with maxed settings. In fact, the only game I am able to run at max settings, 1080p, and 144 fps+ is Rocket League but I know RL is easy to run which is why it stays pinned at 230s-250 most of the time. However when I play something like PUBG (apples and oranges I know) I run low-mid graphics wise and sometimes hit the limit I have set at 144 fps. Usually somewhere between 60-90 if I remember correctly. Now to what REALLY is messing with me. The particular map I play on Rust is a custom map which is known to cause poor fps. Most people somewhere around 50s-60s with mid tier PCs from what I have seen people talking about in the game chat. However, I get low 50s with the ABSOLUTE LOWEST settings possible in Rust. so low that I cannot even make out the designs of skins on boxes and etc. They just look like blobs of color in a rectangular shape. When I crank the settings up I get around 30s-sometimes a peak of mid or high 40s. And usual drops to lower than 30s. However, last night I was getting constant drops to 6 fps (+ or - a couple) and as low as 2 fps. After a while I re-logged into the server and the insane drops were fixed, so at least it is not always that extreme.

Hardware info (?)

Monitored using RivaTuner through MSI Afterburner

While playing I am usually hovering around high 20s-occasionally high 30s for GPU usage. My clock speed never leaves the base clock of 1515 Mhz, except when I was experiencing the HARD fps drops last night. When the usage would spike to higher 30s and the clock speed would raise to at most 1980Mhz (at least the highest that I saw). My thermals have always been great. or at least what I would consider great for running stock air coolers. last night during the hard fps drops the highest temp I saw on my GPU was 53c even after playing for the whole day/night as it was my last day to play before classes start up again. As for the CPU I never saw anything I would consider abnormal. The usages were fine. The "overall?" usage was usually around mid 20s-mid 30s. I added all 16 threads (Im assuming it is the different threads since it is an 8 core 16 thread cpu) that are labeled CPU1,CPU2, and so on. Across all of those the highest peak usage I saw was maybe somewhere around high 50s and mid 60s. And only for a split second. And to be honest I think it might have been when I was Tabbing back into the game. (I am running a bunch of "mumble jumble" things like discord, synapse, Ghub, afterburner/rivatuner, some lighting programs, and etc. but I believe the sum of all those programs only adds a couple percent or so between all the background processes.) Usually the usage on the different threads (once again some of my terminology is probably off) was as low as 2% and around mid to high 30%. Probably also hitting 40% but I don't recall seeing it hit 40s so I don't want to say it for sure did. CPU temps were around mid 40s to mid 50s I believe. That might be a little inaccurate as I was more so focused on watching usages rather than temps since in the past 8 months I have never seen the CPU temp hit anything near thermal limit. Highest temp I have seen during gaming is probably RL or Modern Warfare where it has hit 60c. As far as Overclocking, I have not run an OC for any meaningful amount of time. For the GPU I used the "OCscanner tool" in afterburner and got something like a 60mhz oc I think. But after running some benchmarks and playing with it for a week or so I decided to go back to normal. However, I did try to manual OC it following a few guides. I increased thermal limit and power limit sliders in afterburner and went up 10 mhz at a time until I saw artifacting in Heaven. Then back down until it went away. I saved the profile and thought I went back to the default profile where I only have custome fan curves but I accidentally chose to boot windows and use the manual oc profile. My games were crashing for a day or two before I noticed and then actually did change back to the default profile for real. However during that time I did not see anything out of the ordinary as far as artifacts or other signs. simply crashes. and since the main game I played at the time (rocket league) recently had an update the day I decided to OC, I thought they accidentally bugged something in the update causing it to crash. As far as CPU OC I usually let the "auto" boosting stuff do its thing. Only thing I did there was play around with some of the profiles that come pre-made in the BIOS and enable PBO to see what performance it gave before reverting back to default in less than a day. And if I am correct all PBO does is allow the chip to boost as high as it can as long as certain parameters are in check. (once again, I am a noob when it comes to knowing how parts interact with each other and the different terminology. The extent of my experience is building my pc as well as helping my brother build an identical one.) When I check GPU drivers through device manager it shows some driver from January 29th, but in geforce experience it is saying I have one installed from February 3rd. I don't know if device manager is showing a "windows" driver or something, like maybe it is showing some driver windows uses to "interact" with the card. I am not sure what the terminology is but I am in now way claiming that is what is happening. just what I assume it could be.\

What I have tried

So far I have done two things that solved other peoples similar problems in other games. I have tried to disable HPET, as some people have claimed it makes a world of difference. I have uninstalled the GPU drivers using DDU and reinstalled them with geforce experience. The version  in geforce experience matches the version I can download from their site. That is about as much as I found online that seemed would be the solution to my problem. 

TL;DR

2700x, rtx2080. Unusually low performance in rust. around 30% gpu usage, good temps. around 20s-30% cpu usage and good temps. getting a good 10-15 fps below other peoples normal fps and not irregular to drop as well. last night hit a TERRIBLE constant drop to single digit fps. seemed to fix itself with re-logging into server. Have tried disabling HPET, and reinstalling GPU drivers after uninstalling with DDU.

Edit

The driver geforce experience is saying I have installed is Version 442.19, released February 3rd 2020. Windows is saying I have driver 26.21.14.4219, released January 29th 2020. I assume these are the same now since they share "44219" just some more numbers in the windows version. I could be totally wrong though. The windows build I have been running is 17763.1012, and just last night after playing I updated to the newest build 17763.1039.

I originally posted this in the Graphics card thread but was told I maybe should post it elsewhere. This is seems like the best place to post it.

The only thing I can suggest is that playing a custom map on rust may yield less than optimal fps.   

If you're getting good fps in all your other games and it's only the custom rust map, than it may be just that one map.   I've noticed custom cs:go maps sometimes getting sorta lower fps.  Of course a 2080 should just beast mode through anything so I dunno.

8 hours ago, Matacks said:

The only thing I can suggest is that playing a custom map on rust may yield less than optimal fps.   

If you're getting good fps in all your other games and it's only the custom rust map, than it may be just that one map.   I've noticed custom cs:go maps sometimes getting sorta lower fps.  Of course a 2080 should just beast mode through anything so I dunno.

There is that possibility and more than likely it is what is happening. This has been my only pc so I don’t know how well to compare what I should get from performance and what I am getting. The main two people I play with have the same gpu (1080ti ftw3 iirc?) except one has an 8700k and the other has a 2600. The buddy with the 8700k gets roughly 20+ more fps at any given time than we do, and until he changed some graphics settings to help me get more fps he was getting around 120 at any given time. With my lack of knowledge I guess it could be a “Ryzen thing” although I feel like some other games lack the performance they should too. But maybe I expected too much.