Server Challenge (at least it is for me)

Mantabase

So, I am really trying to collect the info I need for this project, and it has been elusive.  I want to build a server - I've built a few in the distant past - but this one is different.  I posted this in the LTT suggestion thread - but got some feedback that made it sound like my original solution was not a very good one.  And it would help me out (yes - I'm shameless) if you all might help me.  And It might be fun.

What I would like.

A server "system":  NAS (RAID 1) that is a media server/center (music and video both from stored server files and also services) which can also act as an automated backup, network level ad blocker, and home security system.  Gaming would be nice - but not a requirement.  Although, serving up Steam I would be willing to pitch in for a good GPU for. Hell - throw in optional bit mining - I do not care.

Other "Rules"

Cheap - goal of <$400 (excluding drives and any cameras, and redundant power solution (but not the primary power supply)).

Can have more than 1 sub-system - like Zeros for a Pi Hole - but must be (generally) manageable as a single system.

Has to appear professionally built (yeah - no hot glue or tape)

Needs to be in a single box (or possibly 2) - no more than 4U tall total.

Must stream video to at least one TV (HDMI is OK if the rest of it is otherwise wireless - Or it can have Ethernet to the network if the rest is wireless (no HDMI)).

Redundant power or at least a backup power source (e.g. APC).

Ability to be remotely backed up (think Carbonite or similar)

Doesn't have issues with Mac or PC or *nix.

Rack mount or HTPC case

Maximum Load requirements:  Watch a movie seamlessly while another user is listening to music while keeping up with security duties and tracking blocks.  I realize that technically this may have to be more than one system - but all in one box.

Think outside the box - this does not have to be AMD or Intel. Originally I wanted to do the entire thing with Pi.  I'm not afraid of creative solutions.  Like...post armageddon solutions.

The problem is budget - if I were building a server back in the day (but doing it today) it would approach $10K.  I am too stuck in things like needing Xeons, two PSUs, 32 gigs of RAM, etc.....  Last time I tried to use a "PC" as a server it just didn't really workout - Ended up grabbing a Thecus NAS which gave incredible bang for buck and ease of use - but also quickly showed limitations.  My knowledge is out of date - so I am looking for solutions.

And if this is not interesting to you - well thank for reading this far.  I won't be disappointed by getting only a few replies.  I wouldn't reply probably!

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Are you looking for hardware or software recommendations? Or both?

Mostly hardware - but you bring up a good point.  I am not afraid of alternative software systems if that is what you mean. Thanks!

Given your list of requirements and all, your budget is not realistic I'd say. That said, you may want to investigate a system based on the MSI X570-A Pro mainboard with an AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF proc and 16 GB RAM.  That combo would probably cost you your projected budget alone, so you'd have to get a case, PSU, GPU and drives separately.

For OS, I'd suggest FreeNAS or a media-centre version of Linux like Kodi, depending on what's more important to you. Kodi can be augmented fairly easily to also perform as a NAS but I'm not so sure whether FreeNAS can be persuaded to act as a media-server/player.

HTH!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Hi Mantabase,

I'm currently in the process of doing a custom water cooled server with 2 of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-X8DTT-F-MotherBoard-LGA1366-2-Heatsinks-2-INTEL-Xeon-2-26Ghz-CPUs/193077974716?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

These are SuperMicro blade nodes. Yes, I know that it is "older" technology, but you can drop in 2 Xeon 5600 series CPU with 6 cores each and another 6 cores each with hyperthreading. The CPU's run between $5 - $10 USD for lower end and around $70 USD for a Xeon W3690, 3.46ghz with turbo up to 3.73ghz. I've been using one of these boards for the last year for compiling and it totally rocks! With some hard scrounging on eBay, I managed to get 64 gb of DDR3 ECC registered. The SuperMicro 1200w PSU is only $20 USD. Based on what you say what you are planning to use the setup for, this would be more than enough. 

If you need a board with more expansion slot, the a full size SuperMicro board is around the same price. RAID cards for these boards are also dirt cheap, so you can use up any older hard drives that you have laying around.

A lot of people want newer hardware not because they need it, but because it's new and shiny. Going with older hardware when you can will save you a lot of money.

I hope this helps.

zog

9 hours ago, Mantabase said:

Mostly hardware - but you bring up a good point.  I am not afraid of alternative software systems if that is what you mean. Thanks!

I would buy an old retired server and run a hypervisor. It'd enable you to create multiple virtual machines where each can serve the function you require.

12 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

I would buy an old retired server and run a hypervisor. It'd enable you to create multiple virtual machines where each can serve the function you require.

I think you and Zog are onto something.  I've been looking on ebay - I will want SATA drives though.

Most older servers either have SATA connectors or you can install a SATA/SAS RAID card.For example I'm going to go with a older SuperMicro RAID card:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-AOC-SAS2LP-H8iR-LSI-9260-8I-512MB-PCIex8-SAS-6GBs-8-Port-Battery/142821366177?epid=18031292741&hash=item2140d119a1%3Ag%3Ah6MAAOSw-a1bFUTy&LH_BIN=1

Since I will have a max of 4 users on my network, I don't need something faster or better. This will do the job and it only cost $25 USD. It also allows me to use the stack of 8 2tb SATA drives that I have sitting in a box, which will save me some money on the build until 4tb or 8tb come down in price. One of the reasons that I'm choosing the blade format for my build is the following generations of blade boards, (SuperMicro X9 series, socket 2011, X10 series, socket 1150 and the X11 series LGA 3647) all have the exact same size as the boards that I'm using. As the price on the newer boards and CPU's drop, I can cheaply upgrade my server.

38 minutes ago, Mantabase said:

I think you and Zog are onto something.  I've been looking on ebay - I will want SATA drives though.

I'm quite partial to Proxmox. It uses QEMU an open source hypervisor that supports just about everything I think you'll need.

You will need to use an HBA though (like the LSI-9207-8i). The OS uses Software RAID. Don't use it with Hardware RAID.

8 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm quite partial to Proxmox. It uses QEMU an open source hypervisor that supports just about everything I think you'll need.

You will need to use an HBA though (like the LSI-9207-8i). The OS uses Software RAID. Don't use it with Hardware RAID.

Even if you decide not to use Promox, go with soft RAID. It may seen counter intuitive, why get a nice fancy RAID card if your not going to use it's features, but soft RAID is faster than hard RAID and also, if you RAID card fails, you don't have to get the exact same card, any RAID card will do. It's really simple to setup a RAID configuration with mdadm.

2 hours ago, zogthegreat said:

Even if you decide not to use Promox, go with soft RAID. It may seen counter intuitive, why get a nice fancy RAID card if your not going to use it's features, but soft RAID is faster than hard RAID and also, if you RAID card fails, you don't have to get the exact same card, any RAID card will do. It's really simple to setup a RAID configuration with mdadm.

With Software RAID such as ZFS or BTRFS you don't need to use the Linux included mdadm RAID. It's also recommended if you must use a RAID card with ZFS to flash the card to IT mode.

If he we're to pick any random Debian distribution you could install ZFS with sudo apt install zfs-utils. ZFS can also be installed on RHEL distros like CentOS.

Personally I'd opt for ZFS over mdadm.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

With Software RAID such as ZFS or BTRFS you don't need to use the Linux included mdadm RAID. It's also recommended if you must use a RAID card with ZFS to flash the card to IT mode.

Hi Windows7ge,

Do you have any links on how to flash the card to IT mode? 

Thanks!

zog

BTW, going through your "Beginners Guide to Proxmox, very informative. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, zogthegreat said:

Hi Windows7ge,

Do you have any links on how to flash the card to IT mode? 

Thanks!

zog

BTW, going through your "Beginners Guide to Proxmox, very informative. Thanks!

I do not but that's not a bad guide idea. I'll look into it.

It's in need of some revision so there will be some changes/additions including enabling IOMMU groups and hardware pass-though.