MWC 2020 cancelled amid coronavirus fears

Vulkan HeStan

Original article

The world's largest mobile phone showcase, Mobile World Congress (MWC), has been cancelled over coronavirus concerns, organisers have confirmed.

The GSM Association (GSMA) said it had become "impossible" for the event to go ahead as planned in Barcelona.

Earlier this week, Amazon, Sony, LG Electronics, Ericsson, Facebook, and chipmakers Intel and Nvidia said they would not attend the conference. BT, Facebook, LG, Nokia, Sony and Vodafone were also among the high-profile exhibitors to have pulled out of the annual event, citing coronavirus fears.

In a statement, GSMA chief executive John Hoffman said: "With due regard to the safe and healthy environment in Barcelona and the host country today, the GSMA has cancelled MWC Barcelona 2020."

He said "global concern regarding the coronavirus outbreak, travel concern and other circumstances" had made it impossible to hold the event.

If I'm being honest, personally, I think this is a massive overreaction. However, I think it must be difficult to continue with the event if big name companies have pulled out prior to the announcement. It must really suck though for all the smaller companies who had invested heavily into the event. 

I think a virus outbreak causing concern around the globe is reason enough to cancel a convention like that, personally.

That does really suck, I would have been interested to see what kind of things some of those companies would have to show off.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Well this sucks, let's hope that China and the global community are able to reduce the spreading of the Virus and develop a vaccine for it. 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Makes sense. We could start to see global impacts to this virus hitting china. Since alot of electronics and production is done there we could see changes in numerous areas. 

1 minute ago, GodSeph said:

Makes sense. We could start to see global impacts to this virus hitting china. Since alot of electronics and production is done there we could see changes in numerous areas. 

Hope we don't end up with another NAND shortage...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Depending on how far the virus goes and until they find some way to combat it we could see price jumps in alot of types of parts...that would suck as I wanted to upgrade this year with Cometlake and Ampere /cry

I'm partially surprised this didn't happen earlier. Big names have been pulling out for a while. I was wondering who was actually left to go there? The cost and risk to attend when most of the big players aren't there doesn't make sense any more. I'm guessing the organisers didn't want to rush the decision as it's going to cost them.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I really want to go to the Philippines this March, but they hate China and our layover is in Hong Kong. If our flight doesn't get cancelled, I'll feel lucky at this point.

17 minutes ago, Vulkan HeStan said:

If I'm being honest, personally, I think this is a massive overreaction

*Tin foil hat on*

There are some allegations that China isn't being honest about the amount of cases of coronavirus, makes me wonder if there was some advisement from the Chinese government to an extent for these companies to pull out.

*Tin foil hat off*

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

12 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I think a virus outbreak causing concern around the globe is reason enough to cancel a convention like that, personally.

Well... it wasn't cancelled for the ebola outbreak iirc, which was apparently much worse. Sure, that wasn't in countries where companies that regularly participate in MWC are but still... China is pretty large.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

There are some allegations that China isn't being honest about the amount of cases of coronavirus, makes me wonder if there was some advisement from the Chinese government to an extent for these companies to pull out.

Wouldn't they want the exact opposite if they wanted to avoid alarming the world? They'd push for it to go forward and make sure companies send unaffected reps.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Wouldn't they want the exact opposite if they wanted to avoid alarming the world? They'd push for it to go forward and make sure companies send unaffected reps.

On the one hand that may be the case, but on the other they have to take the infection seriously and international interference drawing more people to somewhere that may risk increasing infection rate would get the cat out of the bag much quicker.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

On the one hand that may be the case, but on the other they have to take the infection seriously and international interference drawing more people to somewhere that may risk increasing infection rate would get the cat out of the bag much quicker.

Meh, from all the information I could gather the coronavirus isn't that bad. It's contagious and potentially deadly, sure, but it's only contagious after symptoms show up and its death rates aren't high, mostly concentrated in people who had preexisting conditions. There have been a few cases outside China so it's not like we're completely relying on Chinese sources - and even then it would have been very hard for China to control the narrative so effectively from the very start. Besides, they don't even really stand to gain anything from lying about something like this.

I know people like to paint the Chinese government as some sort of evil puppeteer with unscrutable motives but ultimately it's just an oligarchy with those in power doing everything they can to maintain it - I don't see how hiding a huge outbreak which isn't even their fault would contribute to that goal. It's not like Chernobyl where the catastrophe was directly caused by human error and hubris - it's just a viral outbreak.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's been a month? with this coronavirus and everyone is freaking out like it's the new apocalypse. And yet all we have is an estimate of few thousand infected and few hundred deaths for which they aren't even 100% sure if it's from coronavirus or a common flu getting the weak like it does every single year since the dawn of time. All this happening in China, a country with highest population on Earth that counts around 1.5 billion people or so. If that number was in my country with 2.5 million people, I'd be freaking out too because 1000's would mean very high ratio. But in China, specifically in city Wuhan which has 4x the population of my entire country, I find numbers hilariously low and anything but alarming. This virus also doesn't have some special lethal ability. Which surely helps it spread coz it's not killing its hosts in matter of hours like ebola does, but it's not really killing people as a result either. I mean, you can't have it both, be supper infectious and super lethal coz then it'll self contain itself. Common flu kinda does the exact same thing. It's infectious, spreading and takes hundreds of thousands of lives every year, mostly among old and with pre-existing conditions and I don't see massive panic happening every single year. People just sort of die and no one really cares. But now, it's somehow different... It's just... weird.

36 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Well... it wasn't cancelled for the ebola outbreak iirc, which was apparently much worse. Sure, that wasn't in countries where companies that regularly participate in MWC are but still... China is pretty large.

actually no. ebola can only transmit through contacting patient's fluid compared with this coronavarius transmitting through air. death rate means nothing if it can not spread easily. plus given china government is not really transparent about the situation, it's better planing for the worse for these big companies.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

It's been a month? with this coronavirus and everyone is freaking out like it's the new apocalypse. And yet all we have is an estimate of few thousand infected and few hundred deaths for which they aren't even 100% sure if it's from coronavirus or a common flu getting the weak like it does every single year since the dawn of time. All this happening in China, a country with highest population on Earth that counts around 1.5 billion people or so. If that number was in my country with 2.5 million people, I'd be freaking out too because 1000's would mean very high ratio. But in China, specifically in city Wuhan which has 4x the population of my entire country, I find numbers hilariously low and anything but alarming. This virus also doesn't have some special lethal ability. Which surely helps it spread coz it's not killing its hosts in matter of hours like ebola does, but it's not really killing people as a result either. I mean, you can't have it both, be supper infectious and super lethal coz then it'll self contain itself. Common flu kinda does the exact same thing. It's infectious, spreading and takes hundreds of thousands of lives every year, mostly among old and with pre-existing conditions and I don't see massive panic happening every single year. People just sort of die and no one really cares. But now, it's somehow different... It's just... weird.

I worked at a nursing home while I was still in college and I can confirm that for old people the flu is quite deadly. The flu can turn into pneumonia fairly easily and once an old person get pneumonia the risk of death is pretty high. Saw countless people who looked healthy end up getting pneumonia and dying. 

I can completely understand this reaction. For people who have never been to a large convention before, you (or someone you know) almost always gets sick from it. Tons of people all handling the same thing and no body washing their hands for hours?

There is something called the PAX flu(also GDQ Flu) but it basically applies to all conventions/large gatherings of people from around the world.

7 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Korea seems to be handling incoming patients well enough to not impact production.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just a note, in %, Coronavirus IS much more deadly than flu, but in total numbers it's not yet because much much fewer have gotten it.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Oh well, we'll see more new phones eventually though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

21 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I watched a video a few days, China is for all intents and purposes shut down right now. Officially it should end in a week or so but the rumour is the Chinese government are going to keep everyone on lockdown indefinitely. If this does happen (and to add, I have no idea if they guy in the video was talking fact or fiction) then the price of everything will start to go up. China and Taiwan literally make almost everything that is used in almost every manufacturing process from textiles to electronics. They have town sized markets where you can buy almost anything any factory on the planet could ever need.

All that stuff has to now come from somewhere else.

He was saying it could be so bad that it might send China into a recession.

Again, I have no idea if any of what he said is true and tbh it did seem a little bit scaremongery but the basic premise of his arguments seemed sound.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

21 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

I really want to go to the Philippines this March, but they hate China and our layover is in Hong Kong. If our flight doesn't get cancelled, I'll feel lucky at this point.

*Tin foil hat on*

*Tin foil hat off*

The diagnosis thing got quasi-confirmed and possibly fixed.  The numbers are worse but not hella worse.  It looked like the thing was peaking and dropping off, but the change in diagnosis definition kept it more or less on the graph slope.  The Philippines reportedly does a lot of ‘unofficial’ under-the-table boat business with China, and they just had their first corona death.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

It's not an overreaction at all. Really, anything like this should be postponed until the virus is contained. Which won't happen anytime soon.

On 2/12/2020 at 2:15 PM, Sauron said:

Ebola isn't an airborne virus, and as you stated, African countries don't really send representatives to MWC; even if they did, Ebola is only infections once symptoms show, so they'd be barred from entry to the country, and probably the flight. There's currently an Ebola epidemic in Africa that has killed twice the number COVID-19 has....but you don't really hear anything about it because it's not as contagious as far as it not being airborne (that, and, Africa).

On 2/12/2020 at 2:27 PM, Sauron said:

Meh, from all the information I could gather the coronavirus isn't that bad. It's contagious and potentially deadly, sure, but it's only contagious after symptoms show up and its death rates aren't high, mostly concentrated in people who had preexisting conditions. There have been a few cases outside China so it's not like we're completely relying on Chinese sources - and even then it would have been very hard for China to control the narrative so effectively from the very start. Besides, they don't even really stand to gain anything from lying about something like this.

I know people like to paint the Chinese government as some sort of evil puppeteer with unscrutable motives but ultimately it's just an oligarchy with those in power doing everything they can to maintain it - I don't see how hiding a huge outbreak which isn't even their fault would contribute to that goal. It's not like Chernobyl where the catastrophe was directly caused by human error and hubris - it's just a viral outbreak.

Haha, what? You didn't gather information very effectively then. COVID-19 is more certainly contagious before symptoms show. It's more of an issue of spreading the infection to countries with high populations and lower grade healthcare, as they'll be much more affected than first world countries, as is shown by what's happening in Wuhan. China has very good control over what information is released, as there have already been several cases of people going missing who were trying to report on the virus.

The viral outbreak shows how China can't properly care for it's own population, and shows how weak it's healthcare system is. Which isn't an image they'd like to portray, just like they don't want to portray the massive amounts of poverty in anything but the largest cities, the desolate cities that they built and no one moves into, their concentration camps in the northern region of the country, etc, etc.

On 2/12/2020 at 2:36 PM, RejZoR said:

Not sure where you get your numbers, but 60,000+ is hardly "a few thousand", and there's well over 1,000 deaths, far more than "a few hundred."

Ebola does not kill in a few hours. It takes 2 to 21 days.

It's pretty clear you lack any understanding of what you're talking about.

17 hours ago, Mihle said:

Just a note, in %, Coronavirus IS much more deadly than flu, but in total numbers it's not yet because much much fewer have gotten it.

What you said makes absolutely no sense.

9 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Oh well, we'll see more new phones eventually though. 

It's not like the lack of an event is going to stop them from releasing them ?‍♂️ They'll still be released when they were planned, aside from perhaps issues with China delivering the items.

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I watched a video a few days, China is for all intents and purposes shut down right now. Officially it should end in a week or so but the rumour is the Chinese government are going to keep everyone on lockdown indefinitely. If this does happen (and to add, I have no idea if they guy in the video was talking fact or fiction) then the price of everything will start to go up. China and Taiwan literally make almost everything that is used in almost every manufacturing process from textiles to electronics. They have town sized markets where you can buy almost anything any factory on the planet could ever need.

All that stuff has to now come from somewhere else.

He was saying it could be so bad that it might send China into a recession.

Again, I have no idea if any of what he said is true and tbh it did seem a little bit scaremongery but the basic premise of his arguments seemed sound.

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if China did indeed go into a recession. IIRC their currency is already rather unstable.

4 hours ago, Sushimus said:

I dont know much about the event as I dont really do mobile stuff but it wouldve been kool if they coordinated a massive livestreaming event instead of fully cancelling

Live stream....what? No one's going, there's nothing to stream.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's not an overreaction at all. Really, anything like this should be postponed until the virus is contained. Which won't happen anytime soon.

Ebola isn't an airborne virus, and as you stated, African countries don't really send representatives to MWC; even if they did, Ebola is only infections once symptoms show, so they'd be barred from entry to the country, and probably the flight. There's currently an Ebola epidemic in Africa that has killed twice the number COVID-19 has....but you don't really hear anything about it because it's not as contagious as far as it not being airborne (that, and, Africa).

Haha, what? You didn't gather information very effectively then. COVID-19 is more certainly contagious before symptoms show. It's more of an issue of spreading the infection to countries with high populations and lower grade healthcare, as they'll be much more affected than first world countries, as is shown by what's happening in Wuhan. China has very good control over what information is released, as there have already been several cases of people going missing who were trying to report on the virus.

The viral outbreak shows how China can't properly care for it's own population, and shows how weak it's healthcare system is. Which isn't an image they'd like to portray, just like they don't want to portray the massive amounts of poverty in anything but the largest cities, the desolate cities that they built and no one moves into, their concentration camps in the northern region of the country, etc, etc.

Not sure where you get your numbers, but 60,000+ is hardly "a few thousand", and there's well over 1,000 deaths, far more than "a few hundred."

Ebola does not kill in a few hours. It takes 2 to 21 days.

It's pretty clear you lack any understanding of what you're talking about.

What you said makes absolutely no sense.

It's not like the lack of an event is going to stop them from releasing them ?‍♂️ They'll still be released when they were planned, aside from perhaps issues with China delivering the items.

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if China did indeed go into a recession. IIRC their currency is already rather unstable.

Live stream....what? No one's going, there's nothing to stream.

While the data on how the virus works seems more accurate The whole “trouncing on China for not containing thing” is kinda crap imho.  I don’t think a western country could have done better, maybe much worse.  They threw up hospitals in 10 days.  They instituted nation wide travel restrictions that got followed they locked down while cities.  Can you imagine even trying to do those things in the US?  It just wouldn’t work.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 minutes ago, Sushimus said:

@dizmo Like each manufacturer could show stuff off and do kool tech demos at scheduled times, but from wherever because they can all livestream from different locations

That'd take much, much too much planning to do so last minute, plus I imagine most of the companies would rather do something on their own time.

Since there's no gathering of reporters, having to follow someone else's schedule nets you nothing.

21 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

While the data on how the virus works seems more accurate The whole “trouncing on China for not containing thing” is kinda crap imho.  I don’t think a western country could have done better, maybe much worse.  They threw up hospitals in 10 days.  They instituted nation wide travel restrictions that got followed they locked down while cities.  Can you imagine even trying to do those things in the US?  It just wouldn’t work.

It's not about spread, that's largely unavoidable. It's about death rate. The Chinese medical system simply isn't set up to deal with something like this, especially in places like Wuhan...maybe in a larger city, but once you leave those China is very impoverished and proper services are few and far between.

I get the feeling you think they built an actual hospital in 10 days. They didn't. While they call it a hospital, it's merely a building with a bunch of units to keep people separated. There are no operating rooms, and it's not something that is anywhere near what a hospital in a more developed nation would be. While sure, the fact that it was assembled at all is a little impressive...but that's greatly diminished by the fact they can't assemble a proper medical system.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

That'd take much, much too much planning to do so last minute, plus I imagine most of the companies would rather do something on their own time.

Since there's no gathering of reporters, having to follow someone else's schedule nets you nothing.

It's not about spread, that's largely unavoidable. It's about death rate. The Chinese medical system simply isn't set up to deal with something like this, especially in places like Wuhan...maybe in a larger city, but once you leave those China is very impoverished and proper services are few and far between.

I get the feeling you think they built an actual hospital in 10 days. They didn't. While they call it a hospital, it's merely a building with a bunch of units to keep people separated. There are no operating rooms, and it's not something that is anywhere near what a hospital in a more developed nation would be. While sure, the fact that it was assembled at all is a little impressive...but that's greatly diminished by the fact they can't assemble a proper medical system.

Wuhan is a tier 2 city. iirc. Not exactly the sticks, but my understanding is the sticks in China is a lot more impoverished than the sticks in the US.  A western country would have different problems.  People rushing off in cars to “avoid contamination” while bringing it with them.  People refusing to honor blockades, people refusing to take medication and lying about it.   The American populace isn’t more educated and willing to follow authority, they’re LESS educated and willing to follow authority.  I stand by my statement that I doubt we could do better.  Maybe not as well.  Different reasons but the result would be the same.