Dedicated server for streaming

fudgeball

Greetings, 

I am thinking of moving the stream I have to a external dedicated server, but I have no clue how that works and if is possible.

I can work with Linux (Ubuntu), as the software I use can work on it (OBS and Java applications), is that possible to rent a external server to do this? 

And if this is possible, how I would do it?

Thank you all.

42 minutes ago, fudgeball said:

Greetings, 

I am thinking of moving the stream I have to a external dedicated server, but I have no clue how that works and if is possible.

I can work with Linux (Ubuntu), as the software I use can work on it (OBS and Java applications), is that possible to rent a external server to do this? 

And if this is possible, how I would do it?

Thank you all.

You need something like red5, wowza streaming engine or nginx with rtmp module. Possibly webRTC.

You will require alot of bandwidth tho.. Like if you stream at 1080p 4000bitrate.. then you can multiply 40000 with every user that is watching your stream. It'll be expensive.

Thank you @AbsoluteFool, just to clarify what I want, instead of hosting a stream on my computer, I want to rent a computer (server) outside my home, with a OS so I can install the streaming software OBS, to stream to Twitch and Youtube.

I have seen already some services that have dedicated servers, for less than 100 dollars where it can use Ubuntu for example, I assume that I can access it via a system like Teamviewer to control and install software in it, but this is my home user mind, and when it passes to server, I fail to understand how I would control the system when it's not local.

Is your response still valid here?

I havent heard of a service like this, but I assume something like NDI OBS wouldn't work over the internet (without a VPN) so you'd have to send it out as an RTMP stream to the stream server and add it as an RTMP source, but that kinda defeats the purpose of having a second stream computer as your PC still would have had to do the hard work already. 

If you want to just stream to multiple platforms there are already services like restream.io

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

How would you get your video source to the remote server to stream?

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

11 hours ago, fudgeball said:

Thank you @AbsoluteFool, just to clarify what I want, instead of hosting a stream on my computer, I want to rent a computer (server) outside my home, with a OS so I can install the streaming software OBS, to stream to Twitch and Youtube.

I have seen already some services that have dedicated servers, for less than 100 dollars where it can use Ubuntu for example, I assume that I can access it via a system like Teamviewer to control and install software in it, but this is my home user mind, and when it passes to server, I fail to understand how I would control the system when it's not local.

Is your response still valid here?

You cant stream from a server with OBS. You still need to use OBS on your main or secondary computer and stream out to a "repeater" if you will.

Ubuntu alone cannot "stream" or dublicate your stream.

My first response still stands..

Thank you all for the answers, I have learned that what I need is a VPS, as there is gamers who stream using them, so I will investigate that, thank you all.

I dont see what your advantage would be in using a VPS in your stream. The idea of having a streaming computer is to offload the encoding of your stream. 8C/16T CPU's have become ubiquitous these days, and being able to just use NVENC/VCE in OBS for encoding your stream to 264/hevc mostly makes having a 'stream computer' a moot point. 

Not sure what benefit you're looking for in paying someone to use a remote server...

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

I do not stream games, my stream is science focus with some specific software, I don't need the best image quality, I just want  a reliable service that is online 24/7 without worrying with ISP issues and hardware problems, VPS as it seems is what I am after, a virtual machine with a OS where i can access remotely to do what I need and install the software i need to work.

Sometimes the best option is not the most practical, and sacrifices have to be made to achieve the goal in question :D

On 2/13/2020 at 7:01 PM, fudgeball said:

I do not stream games, my stream is science focus with some specific software, I don't need the best image quality, I just want  a reliable service that is online 24/7 without worrying with ISP issues and hardware problems, VPS as it seems is what I am after, a virtual machine with a OS where i can access remotely to do what I need and install the software i need to work.

Sometimes the best option is not the most practical, and sacrifices have to be made to achieve the goal in question :D

Ok, so what is your goal? You've never clearly stated it.

• 1 month later...

Hey dude. I actually don't understand how are you going to get your video source to the remote server to stream, but if you are looking for the cheapest dedicated servers, I can help you with that. I actually have a lot of experience in that area, I've been running a lot of dedicated servers for different projects. GTHost are offering very powerful hosting machines, with a very good internet connection and different features, like 1-10 days low-cost trial, for example. I have recommended it to some of my friends as well, and all of them are really satisfied with it.