Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tim0901

Android co-creator's phone company Essential to close

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP
Quote

Essential, the phone company launched by Android co-founder Andy Rubin, has announced its closure.

After releasing only one major product (the Essential Phone) and a few accessories, Essential Products will be shutting down.

 

Quote

The closure of the company means the Essential Phone will no longer receive any software security updates.

However, the company has shared its software on coding site Github so developers can "keep hacking" the device.

Essential's cross-platform email software, Newton Mail, will be discontinued in April.

It's nice that they're releasing their software on Github; but given the device wasn't that successful anyway, it doesn't really help that many people.

 

Personally I'm not too surprised at this given how badly the Essential Phone went and how little we've heard from them as a company since.

 

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51482380


My PCs:

Quote

Timothy: 

i7 4790k

Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z97

16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro Red

Zotac GTX 780

Corsair Carbide 300R

Samsung 840 250GB, 3TB Seagate Barracuda

 

Timothy II - In Progress:

Xeon E5 1650 V1

16GB ECC Memory

Quadro 2000

2TB Seagate Barracuda

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they mentioned this long ago.


Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

            CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

            Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

                                                                                                                             

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Levent said:

That wasnt surprising. I mean take a look at Cyanogen, they only did software and lasted a year or so.

Cyanogen was around for a long time, but it was always an enthusiast thing. There's only one phone range that ever came pre-installed with it... and that was Wileyfox. Their phones were actually really good and the privacy settings were way ahead of anything else.  I actually owned one for a few years... Sadly the company also suffered from a lack of sales outside of the more knowledgeable of the UK's tech community.


System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame though, I liked the the ceramic approach and aside notch, overall ne of the best looking phones, very sleek. 


Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 2:05 PM, Levent said:

That wasnt surprising. I mean take a look at Cyanogen, they only did software and lasted a year or so.

I never really understood that teams reasoning in doing that, What was their business plan?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really liked the Essential phone - altough I wasn't able to find it in germany when I was looking for a new phone. Maybe actually making it available to consumers would have helped... you know not having to close?


75% of what I say is sarcastic

 

So is the rest probably

Link to post
Share on other sites

The phone market is a really hard market to survive in, even big companies with good backing go under all the time.  The bread and butter is in mass sales and you don't get those from being unlocked or opensource, you get that from being a big brand name with market presence.  


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The phone market is a really hard market to survive in, even big companies with good backing go under all the time.  The bread and butter is in mass sales and you don't get those from being unlocked or opensource, you get that from being a big brand name with market presence.  

Or the only profit in Mobile Phones is Apple with a little to Samsung. The Chinese firms are all propped up by their other telecom aspects & the State. Somewhere, from beyond the grave, Steve Jobs is going "Ecosystems, bitches!". He turned out to be quite correct about that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Or the only profit in Mobile Phones is Apple with a little to Samsung. The Chinese firms are all propped up by their other telecom aspects & the State. Somewhere, from beyond the grave, Steve Jobs is going "Ecosystems, bitches!". He turned out to be quite correct about that.

He knew if you can make something insanely popular then lock it down you would succeed, he was in many ways just like warren buffet in that regard. 


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, myselfolli said:

I really liked the Essential phone - altough I wasn't able to find it in germany when I was looking for a new phone. Maybe actually making it available to consumers would have helped... you know not having to close?

I ordered mine from the US through Amazon, you could also had bought it through their website. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Somewhere, from beyond the grave, Steve Jobs is going "Ecosystems, bitches!".

I think he's saying something more along the lines of "bullshitting people on stage, bitches!" but in a very convincing way.


...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

 

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

 

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

 

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

 

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

 

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

 

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, strajk- said:

I ordered mine from the US through Amazon, you could also had bought it through their website. 

I'm sure it was available at some point, but definitely not from the start and not when I was looking at them. The specifically said that the phone was only available in specific regions at that point.

 

And I'm not gonna pay extra for shipping and import taxes.


75% of what I say is sarcastic

 

So is the rest probably

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

And I'm not gonna pay extra for shipping and import taxes.

Amazon offered free international shipping for it when I ordered it after the first price cut.

And you pay import taxes regardless of buying it at some store in Germany or through Amazon, it's in the price.

The € is also worth more than the $, I did the math and it was cheaper ordering it from the US through Amazon than buying it from anywhere else.

During purchase Amazon already includes the import taxes during checkout, meaning you won't pay extra once it reaches the hands of custom.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 1:46 AM, Anomnomnomaly said:

Cyanogen was around for a long time, but it was always an enthusiast thing. There's only one phone range that ever came pre-installed with it... and that was Wileyfox. Their phones were actually really good and the privacy settings were way ahead of anything else.  I actually owned one for a few years... Sadly the company also suffered from a lack of sales outside of the more knowledgeable of the UK's tech community.

Oneplus wants to have a word with you.

 

The Oneplus One came with Cyanogen as the pre-installed base OS. I had one, and it even had "Cyanogen" engraved on the back of the sandstone grey rear panel. Sadly I sold the phone a few years ago or I would take a picture.

 

Late models of the One lost the Cyanogen label, though, and they broke their partnership not long after and Oneplus created OxygenOS instead. 

 

I heard of the Essential phone awhile back but never really looked into it. Was it basically an upstart phone maker like OnePlus was ~5-6 years ago but had their own OS?

 

Edit: Photo from google. Credit to Oneplus.com

unnamed.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TigerHawk said:

Oneplus wants to have a word with you.

 

The Oneplus One came with Cyanogen as the pre-installed base OS. I had one, and it even had "Cyanogen" engraved on the back of the sandstone grey rear panel. Sadly I sold the phone a few years ago or I would take a picture.

 

Late models of the One lost the Cyanogen label, though, and they broke their partnership not long after and Oneplus created OxygenOS instead. 

 

I heard of the Essential phone awhile back but never really looked into it. Was it basically an upstart phone maker like OnePlus was ~5-6 years ago but had their own OS?

 

Edit: Photo from google. Credit to Oneplus.com

unnamed.jpg

I'd never heard of that myself, but then again oneplus doesn't seem to be a major brand in my country and I've never actually met anyone who's ever owned one of their phones.

 

But it's good to know there were more.... shame that we've not seen any with the 'lineage' CM offshoot OS.


System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×