SSD not being detected after a optimization.

b8a

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I'm helping out a family friend with I.T. stuff. I know quite a bit and I'm in school for I.T. he did a optimization of the SSD last night and after he did it it is not showing up in the bios. And of course the bios dell lovingly loaded dose not have many configuration options. I can't find anything online about why this would be I was thinking of making a widows 10 boot usb. So I can check drivers? But I don't know what the next step is. I checked everything physical I used the  cords and sata port the optical drive was using (which was being detected just fine) and still no luck. Tryed reseating it too obviously. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hard to know what to suggest without knowing what the "optimization" that he performed entails. Do you have any specifics on what he did to the drive?

By optimisation, is this the feature built into Windows? That shouldn't affect it. It might just be coincidence that was the last thing that was seen.

If you have already tried different ports/cables then it would start pointing towards the SSD being dead. You can also try it in a different system to check.

Note I've had two SSDs die in this way before, what I call sudden death with little or no warning. One boot, becomes undetected. In one of those cases, there was a minor warning in that some boots before it was totally dead it was also not getting detected. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Sorry should have been more clear about "optimization" he used the difragmentation and optimization program in widows. And ikr it should have not done anything. I was leaning twards dead SSD as well. But it just seamed so coincidental that he said literally right after he did it it happened.

Also here is a pic of the diagnostic error message.

1581532707102892541403.jpg

It's gonna be fun trying to explain to him that it just was a coincidence. Lol

So if I check it in another system then it is pretty much 4 sure dead right.

Side note if it is dead is there anyway to retrieve the key that it had for Windows 10? I don't see a sticker anywhear on it with the key. Also it was a referbished model so no manual.(if it would even have it in there)

54 minutes ago, b8a said:

Side note if it is dead is there anyway to retrieve the key that it had for Windows 10? I don't see a sticker anywhear on it with the key. Also it was a referbished model so no manual.(if it would even have it in there)

It is mainly the controller (the one on the ssd, the interface between the sata-port and the mlc-chips) that failed here, that is why the drive doesn't show up. The data on the mlc-chips itself would be readable, but you would have to either repair the controller or manually access the mlc. That's not something the usual user can/would do.

The thing is he did not defragment it. He optimized it. I saw him do it before (unless he did something different) it literally took like 15 seconds and then stoped.

He jus told me he got it like less the 6 month ago. But it was referbished so maybe the ssd was old?

1 minute ago, b8a said:

He jus told me he got it like less the 6 month ago. But it was referbished so maybe the ssd was old?

He didn't check the smart-status of the drive after buying it?

He is not tech savvy what so ever. He just probably saw a good deal a bought it. Make matters worse he did not have any back ups. But there dose not seem to be anything super inportant that was not in the cloud like quick books and stuff like that.

So as far as I know there is not really a way to know if a ssd will go out right? (Dumb question I'm sure lol just want to double check I know what I'm talking about)

21 hours ago, b8a said:

So as far as I know there is not really a way to know if a ssd will go out right? (Dumb question I'm sure lol just want to double check I know what I'm talking about)

You can get a idea if it's close to death. Have a read through this: https://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/