Record Player running slow. How to fix?

nightmarevoid

Hello everyone! My girlfriend and I noticed that our Crossley Nomad was running about a half-step too slow. The Nomad uses a belt driven platter and what I assume is a synchronous motor. The platter is centered on a metal shaft, and that's what it spins on, meaning it has a vaseline-like lubricant between the plastic platter and the metal shaft. 

I tried opening the unit up to look for a potentiometer to adjust the voltage to the motor, and I actually found one! unfortunately, adjusting it didn't actually change anything, which leaves me at a loss. I'd rather not just put tape over the drive spindle to increase gearing, as this would introduce variance in the speed. Any help on this front? I'll include some pictures below of the circuitry that drives the motor, as well as the platter mechanism.

20200211_203746.jpg

20200211_203738.jpg

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)

On 2/12/2020 at 1:14 PM, nightmarevoid said:

Hello everyone! My girlfriend and I noticed that our Crossley Nomad was running about a half-step too slow. The Nomad uses a belt driven platter and what I assume is a synchronous motor. The platter is centered on a metal shaft, and that's what it spins on, meaning it has a vaseline-like lubricant between the plastic platter and the metal shaft. 

I tried opening the unit up to look for a potentiometer to adjust the voltage to the motor, and I actually found one! unfortunately, adjusting it didn't actually change anything, which leaves me at a loss. I'd rather not just put tape over the drive spindle to increase gearing, as this would introduce variance in the speed. Any help on this front? I'll include some pictures below of the circuitry that drives the motor, as well as the platter mechanism.

<snip>

Hey, how old is the turntable? if I had to bet money, your belts stretched. Ive looked for a replacement on your behalf, but can't find one. I'm not saying Crossley sells bad stuff, but there are much better turntables on the market. Honestly, instead of a repair, I would buy a different player, one with direct drive.

If you do hunt down a belt (maybe ebay), I would recommend replacing the cartage.

Spoiler

This ones 'more better'

https://www.lpgear.com/product/CSYNP5E.html

This site also sells belts, if you send them your belt size, they will make you a custom replacement.

it could be a motor issue also, but an old belt is more likely, especially if you use it a lot.

Edit: also, I guess submerging the belt in hot water, or sticking it in the freezer will shirk the belt. Might be something to look into, quick fix kinda stuff.