CUPS issue

Hello Forum:

I have to be missing something simple.  I'm running Debian 9.x.x and can do anything but PRINT!  I was downloading ppd, driver files for my HP Officejet 3830 so I could use the scanner.  Somehow I really screwed Cups.  Unit cups.service has failed on startup.  I can start the service and connect via ssh, but when I try to connect (other than ssh) I get service not available.

So now I'm in fuckit mode.  I want to delete everything related to cups and start over.  Any ideas how to remove everything that is CUPS?  I do have backups so I can format and reinstall, but that would take a day or so to reinstall and re configure

That's way too vague for us to figure out. You'll have to go through the steps you took one by one and post exactly what errors you get and when. If you want to start from scratch it should be enough to uninstall the packages and delete the configuration files you modified.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You probably need to start CUPS and one sure way to check if the service is started is via your browser: navigate to http://localhost:631 and see if you get a login prompt or a webpage. If not, start CUPS. (I dunno ennitin about effin systemd, which is the init system Debian now uses and I detest fervently, so others might be able to help here)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

6 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

You probably need to start CUPS and one sure way to check if the service is started is via your browser: navigate to http://localhost:631 and see if you get a login prompt or a webpage. If not, start CUPS. (I dunno ennitin about effin systemd, which is the init system Debian now uses and I detest fervently, so others might be able to help here)

This is the really wired part.  I can start CUPS, see it listening on 127.0.0.1:631.  (netstat) But browser(s) all say connection refused. (But I can connect via ssh) I did remove CUPS using apt-get remove --purge.  Then installed.  add-apt-repository ppa:hplip-isv/ppa > apt-get update >  apt-get install hplip with no errors.  The HPLIP package includes the latest CUPS version.

Still nothing.  There are no proxy settings in any of the browsers I used.  Logs still say CUPS SCHEDULER failed to start (on reboot)  As far as I can tell I can manually start all the CUPS Services, but still no connection.  (except seeing the port listening via netstat and connecting via ssh) My only thought is that apt-get remove --purge didn't get everything.  I think I know all file names and locations for CUPS - obviously I don't

On 2/12/2020 at 8:05 PM, DinoWuff said:

This is the really wired part.  I can start CUPS, see it listening on 127.0.0.1:631.  (netstat) But browser(s) all say connection refused. (But I can connect via ssh) I did remove CUPS using apt-get remove --purge.  Then installed.  add-apt-repository ppa:hplip-isv/ppa > apt-get update >  apt-get install hplip with no errors.  The HPLIP package includes the latest CUPS version.

Still nothing.  There are no proxy settings in any of the browsers I used.  Logs still say CUPS SCHEDULER failed to start (on reboot)  As far as I can tell I can manually start all the CUPS Services, but still no connection.  (except seeing the port listening via netstat and connecting via ssh) My only thought is that apt-get remove --purge didn't get everything.  I think I know all file names and locations for CUPS - obviously I don't

For those who might care:

FMG I finally figured it out.  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ had corrupt files (I didn't do it - musta been a computer thing - j/k)

I deleted the corrupt files, did an apt-update and reinstalled cups.

All better now.

Can you use a usb to connect to the printer? printed with cups on ubuntu this way no issue, bluetooth has always been an issue tho. could you print from it with bluetooth before? what browser? 

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb